PDA

View Full Version : How To Voice Command issues

Mad Dog
22-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Hi all,
I am new to the forum and I was hoping someone can help me with using the voice command system for the phone. I have tried and tried to save a new listing to the phone book but cannot get the system to store the name and number.:aargh4:
With the voice command "store new" it asks for the name, twice. Then the number. It understands the number then says please proceed. Options are Store, Cancel, Back or add more numbers. But when I say "store" it adds *4. Then what ever else you say gets added as more numbers or symbols. The only command that seems to work is "back" It will read out the number and then says please proceed again. But no matter how many ways or times I try and say store it just won't store the new name and number.
Has anyone managed to store any numbers on their system and how do you do it?
I had a 10 minute argument with the system today before it eventually won and said "cancel" and the radio came back on!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest 2
22-09-2012, 11:57 PM
The voice command on most models is useless - you need to speak in Oxford English for it to understand anything.

I find doing it via the control panel is always the quicker option.

Mad Dog
23-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Thanks Chris. I agree, most voice activated systems are rubbish, I cant seem to get any of them to work. I think if I had filmed todays little argument with the car it would be a you tube hit. The wife thought it was funnier than I did. Apparently shouting at it makes no difference.

eob
23-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Speak with a yank twangggg. That works for me.
Also say "Help" and she will rhyme all the commands off. "Save" also works for me.

The only difficulty I have is dialling a stored name. I say "Dial Name" she'll ask for the name then ask for a number!?! "Cancel!" Is my next request.

In all, I find it a very good system, it was the same as in the VW. The kids love it when I talk gibberish to her and she says "Pardon?" :D

ScottyUK
23-09-2012, 12:00 PM
The voice command on most models is useless - you need to speak in Oxford English for it to understand anything.

I find doing it via the control panel is always the quicker option.

Totally disagree.

I have a South East accent (not at all posh/Oxford) and it works fine (on 3G). In fact I've always been impressed how quick and good the number recognition is. I normally dial a name and it's pretty good. Sometimes I get the list and just say number 1 or 2 etc and it's job done. Similar with navigation. Easier than typing in the letters one by one.

c.grex
23-09-2012, 01:16 PM
I agree, I had a couple of issues when setting up one name, but on the whole I use it all the time with out any issues.

Mad Dog
24-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Well I just had another go at it. Saying Store with the most ridiculous American accent worked! haha. Still think it would be quicker to find it manually and dial than say all the commands to get the number dialled. Or is there a quick way for it to dial a number?

eob
24-09-2012, 02:23 PM
You can store a name tag for a number thats not in your phone book.
Use "Store Name". It will ask for a name x 2 then the number.
This will store the number to the car so regardless of which phone is paired it will be available.
If you want to tag a name in your phones phone book, press the Mode button to display the phone book, highligh the name and say "Store". The name will then have a little face icon next to it.
Remember and say "Store" after the number is confirmed back to you to save it.

mhurer
24-09-2012, 08:04 PM
I have a cockney accent and works 99% of the time. I use it everyday and think its great.

Brycie
26-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks to this thread I now have several names stored successfully without too many issues. After a few incorrect number entries, I found that mimicking the voice of Peter Dixon from The X Factor worked pretty well (one to try in fornt of the kids eob, that should give them a laugh).

I had the same problem as Mad Dog a couple of times where it starts saying *6872 (or similar), but I just let it ask for the next command & say Back, it usually corrects itself fairly quickly.

My question though is now that I have stored these names, how do I get the damned thing to dial one of the numbers? I've tried Phone Home, Call Home, Call Number, Dial Home, Dial Number etc etc and it never does it. It either tells me "that name is altready stored", it asks me to speak the full phone number rather than the name, or it just quotes all the names I have stored back at me.

Guest 2
26-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Paul - say Phonebook then it will ask for the name

'Name please' - home etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brycie
26-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Brilliant, thanks Chris, it works. Not the speediest system, but a new toy, so I'm happy for a while! :D

theskyfox
02-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Useful extension to this thread: Does anyone have a list of all the voice commands available in the B8 system? (I have this in my car too..but rarely use it)

-Andrew

Guest 2
02-10-2012, 11:37 AM
On 3G systems I've used it on there is a Setting within CAR+SETUP somewhere which gives the commands.

You could always press the button and just say Help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brycie
02-10-2012, 01:51 PM
I used this to get me over a couple of hurdles with using bt. I found it very useful.

Comprehensive List of Voice Commands (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/385796-Comprehensive-List-of-Voice-Commands)

Apologies to the Mods for linking to another forum.

DrNorthy
02-10-2012, 05:31 PM
How do I set the name I have managed it once but have no idea how I did it. I now say call Sarah and it rings stef in my phonebook. As I say I set this somehow but don't know how. The book or mmi tells me nothing.

Brycie
02-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Press the voice button on your mfsw & say "store name". Then say the name & repeat it when prompted. It'll then ask you to give the number, so give each digit & wait to hear confirmation of each number before giving the next. If it gets one of the numbers wrong, wait for the system to give you the possible commands (proceed, back, cancel etc) and say "Back". I think after the last digit, you just wait to hear the possible commands & one will be "store". And that's it.

If you want to call one of the names in your directory, press the button & say "Select name". When prompted, say the name & either say "Dial" straight away, or wait for the car to give you the possible commands & when it's given you the options, say "Dial" then.

c.grex
02-10-2012, 07:10 PM
If you want to call one of the names in your directory, press the button & say "Select name". When prompted, say the name & either say "Dial" straight away, or wait for the car to give you the possible commands & when it's given you the options, say "Dial" then.

I usually just say 'dial name' it prompts and I say 'dial' (maybe it just listens for the word 'name')

Brycie
02-10-2012, 07:27 PM
I tried that command & it didn't work for me for some reason. That's why I searched for that list of commands (in previous post)& fortunately the "select name" worked. Maybe your's is a newer version with different commands - possibly :confused:

DrNorthy
03-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Sorry I tried everything my 12 plate does not understand English

Brycie
03-10-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm stumped then. Other than trying one of the accents as detailed earlier in the thread, I don't know what to suggest.

Guest 2
03-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Check the languge settings in your CAR+Setup menu