PDA

View Full Version : VW Fox duplicate key fob

PJGadd
21-09-2012, 05:08 PM
I've just bought a second hand VW Fox for my son and it only has one key fob. I rang my local VW dealer to be told they wanted £54.76 for the key, £50.65 for the remote and £54 to programme it. The chap I spoke to gave his name as **** Turpin. I've looked on the web and see I can get a replacement including transponder for about £20, BUT it needs to be programmed in.
Three questions:
Firstly, does anyone have experience of buying keys from the web and them working (or are they unlikely to do so)?
Secondly, assuming they do, how can I programme the key to the immobiliser - can I do this myself?
Finally, I'm assuming if I just buy the key without the transponder, it will not immobilise the car and I won;t be able to start the car?
I'm loathe to pay £160 for something that should cost £30.
Thanks all.

The Mighty Fox
11-11-2012, 01:43 PM
hi, im after the same a replacment key for my fox and was woundering if you went for the key online and did it work. I went to my local key cutter and they quoted £75 for the key and cut but wouldd have to get it re-programed at a cost of £50 by another guy. but i do know that if i take out the transponder out of my key and tape it to my ignition barrel a standerd cut key will start it, just a little risky .thanks

PJGadd
11-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Hi. I ended up giving in to Mr Turpin on the basis that at least for £160 the end result would be a guaranteed, working key. I'll be interested to hear if you find out a way to get a key cheaper that works. Thx

Doctle Odd
11-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Buy a felabay key £10-15 buy a transponder from the same source £5-10.Locksmith to cut key £10-20 Member on the site with VCDS to program key not a lot. You could have saved 60%