PDA

View Full Version : 2000 A4 2.4 stalling while driving

aarong
12-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Hi there,

I recently purchased a second-hand 2001 A4 2.4 V6 auto and was driving it to work this morning when it stalled on me at about 60km/h - a very disconcerting experience given that I lost the power steering and brakes!!

The car started fine but I noticed that after every time I took my foot off the accelerator and braked to come to a stop, the revs dropped below 1000rpm, which is obviously a bit weird. It didn't stall again though.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of problem I could be looking at, and what it will take to fix it? Maybe the MAF's on it's way out? Cost is an obvious issue! The car has a full service history and log books.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

TonyA4
02-02-2007, 03:35 PM
did you resolve this ? 7 months on now so I guess so one way or another

I have similar problems, garage has tried many things and we are running out of ideas
new leads
air flow meter
coil
ecu's checked
new plugs

ideas most welcome

dcservice
02-07-2007, 09:56 AM
:1zhelp: solution take off steering column shrouds and look at the ignition barrel just behind where the key goes in :confused: you shoud see a small plug approx 1cm x 0.5cm to the side attached to the igition housing where the transponder is located for the immobiliser take the plug out and check for corrosion from condensation and check that the connections are tight ( you can open the plug by sliding the casing of the plug to one side).

half way there sound a lot to do but simple really.

now remove the cover from below the steering column i mean the panel that sits above your legs in the footwell should be 4 x 10mm bolts 2 at the front two on the side behind fuse box cover.

remove this cover.

now looking at the right hand side ( uk spec vehicle ) of where this panel was, between the steering column and the fuse box you should see a cream maybe black box bolted with 2 screws to the underdash approx 6cm x 4 cm this should have a plug with about 8 to 10 pins in it do the same with this plug remove check for corrosion and that the wires are tight.

replace panels and shrouds

this stopped all my probs dead.

simple solution 15mins 6 bolts and 2 plugs to check.. :D

previous solution i tried

hard solution take to audi 2 hrs..... £156.75 :zx11:

diagnostic check £45.00. :mad:

if you need pictures i can send them to you to help but will have to give me few days to get them email me - chauffeuring@derby25.fsnet.co.uk or kevlees68@hotmail.com

hope this helps someone somewhere :beerchug: