PDA

View Full Version : slow computer

nevo
16-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Any idea's why my computer is slow,for example takes ages to view a thread on the site,tried a defrag and disc clean up,not a computer expert so go easy on the jargon.

Guest 2
16-09-2012, 11:12 AM
is it only VWAF you're having issues with?

zollaf
16-09-2012, 11:38 AM
have you deleted cookies and cleared you cache recently. i do mine regularly, well, once in a while.

Guest 2
16-09-2012, 11:40 AM
have you deleted cookies and cleared you cache recently. i do mine regularly, well, once in a while.

On FF you can set this to clear everything on exit - I don't delete mine as it saves me logging in to various websites everytime I visit.

zollaf
16-09-2012, 11:50 AM
ff ? friends forever ?

doh, thanks to mrs z i now know its firefox.

Guest 2
16-09-2012, 11:51 AM
ff ? friends forever ?

Firefox ;)

nevo
16-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Computers are not my thing, how do you clear them? its not just vwaf,although it is very slow,and sometimes when answering a thread it wont post and goes to autostore and ,autotrader for example take a age it seems.Ps just done it again when posting this.

Guest 2
16-09-2012, 01:01 PM
which browser are you using?

nevo
16-09-2012, 01:08 PM
dont laugh Chris but dont know and dont know how to find out.

zollaf
16-09-2012, 02:07 PM
top right hand corner of the screen, under the X, do you have a spanner symbol ?
ps, i know nothing about computers so blind leading the blind :)

chody
16-09-2012, 02:48 PM
is it your computer or your internet connection that is slow what operating system are you using is it windows xp , vista or 7 or is it mac, download a program called Ccleaner its free and it will tidy up your computer i also clean my disc with the built in tools in windows accessories, system tools run disc cleanup(might take awhile to run if you have never used it ) then disc defragment, but as i said at start it might be your broadband thats slow who is your internet provider, run a speedtest it will give you an indication of your speed but the best way is to check in your router settings for the real speed

Guest 2
16-09-2012, 03:02 PM
dont laugh Chris but dont know and dont know how to find out.

do you press

http://blog.redmantech.ca/files/2010/09/ie-logo.png

or

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/firefox-logo-browser.jpg

or

http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Chrome.jpeg

nevo
16-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Nope,a house ,star and a cog.if it aint got a engine or wheels I'm knackered,its not my phone line it,bt have checked it.

nevo
16-09-2012, 03:55 PM
its the E

Guest 2
16-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Nope,a house ,star and a cog.if it aint got a engine or wheels I'm knackered,its not my phone line it,bt have checked it.

thats internet explorer -

hold in CTRL SHIFT and DELETE

you should get a window appear

now tick every box except the very top and press delete

nevo
16-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Done....are these free downloads secure Chody?

Guest 2
16-09-2012, 04:23 PM
cc cleaner is secure http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

zollaf
16-09-2012, 04:57 PM
i downloaded google chrome and find it a lot better than ie.
its really easy,just google google chrome then follow the instructions to download it, which is only one press of one button. it seems a lot quicker and more user friendly and the clarity on the screen is so much better and brighter.
also, don't forget to empty your recycle bin as if thats got a million old emails stored in it, it uses a heck of a lot of memory things and can affect your computer.

nevo
16-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Yes its asking me to download it now,I'll give it a go.

nevo
16-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Downloaded chrome and done the cclean,does seem a bit faster,but still not snappy,will see how it goes many thanks to all.

chody
16-09-2012, 05:21 PM
yes crap cleaner is a good little program just install it then scan and once its finished click fix issues, to check the speed on your router type 192.168.1.254 in the bar along the top of your internet browser and hit enter it will ask for your admin key which is on your home hub it will then ask you to change the admin key pick something memorable then go to advanced settings it will warn you of death if you change anything but ignore that (only kidding about the death bit )and along the top there are different tabs go to internet and in the tab there it will show your up and download speeds how far are you from your exchange

chody
16-09-2012, 05:35 PM
if all else fails you may have to do a clean install of your system which isnt as hard as it sounds , depending on your computer you may have a restore partition or a copy of windows on disc but you will have to save everything of you hard drive you dont want to lose ,ie photo, music, and documents either copy to dvd's or buy a portable hard drive and save copies of everything to that , which is a good idea anyway as hard drives fail and you can lose everything

Guest 2
16-09-2012, 05:41 PM
i think a full system restore is a bit extreme

chody
16-09-2012, 07:00 PM
i did say if all else fails, personally when i used xp i used to reinstall every year or so as i found it got so sluggish

nevo
29-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks Mrdata123,I'm using microsoft security essentials,I've downloaded ccleaner and its better but not perfect,will try the malwarebytes,when I get home from hols.

metalmicky10
13-03-2013, 11:11 PM
download ccleaner (free version) and run it ,then run it after every use of the web.make sure you get the free one from the list as there are paid for versions as well.i use it all the time and free updates to,be sure to check on install for tick boxes for additional stuff that you dont want.
meatalmicky10

aldfort
07-04-2013, 01:45 PM
@Nevo,

First off what Browser are you using. If you click a button with a big E in it from your Desktop or from the task bar (along the bottom of the screen) or from the start menu then it's probably Internet explorer. When it's open look along the top of the window , you'll see things like, File, Edit, View etc. look for one called Help and click it. In the dropdown look for About and click it. This will tell you the browser version you are using. Report this back here.

@Nevo,

What processor does your PC have, what Operating system are you running and how much memory do you have, what Anti virus are you using.

Older machines running XP can be slowed to a crawl nowadays as the processor is not fast enough to keep up with the demands of always on software like your virus scanner. You can usually find out about processor and memory as the PC starts up. There will be a screen that appears briefly befor the windows screen that usually report memory and processor type. I assume you know what OS you are using. Again report those back here along with the AV software make.

Rookie84
21-04-2013, 10:42 AM
What anti virus are you using? Make sure you only have 1 running, and I would recommend Avast which is free and easy to use.