PDA

View Full Version : 18" Wheel spec

kennyh
15-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Right guys, I'm going to buy 18" wheels to fit winter tyres onto for my 3.0TDI Quattro A7.

It's got 19" on just now and I think 18" for winter tyres would be better as well as cheaper (for the tyres).

So, not being well versed in this area, what spec of wheels would I need??

shabazmo
16-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Kenny, 8,5 x18 ET32 is the original spec wheel for the Audi a7 and comes with 255/45/18 tyre. I managed to get 2 x 7mm snow tyres from ebay for £150 the pair, but can't find wheels to match my car. Just want 2 because I am front wheel drive only.

Thinking about the economics, it might be better to go down to 17" wheels as the new A6 has this size as standard.

BrianWM
27-09-2012, 04:38 PM
I noticed your post shabazmo and felt I had to comment. You need 4 snow tyres, even though you've only front wheel drive, you have 4 wheel braking and you need 4 tyres to grip in corners. Having grip only at one end, whichever one, is a recipe for something nasty !

shabazmo
28-09-2012, 01:19 AM
Brian you are quite correct in your statement, but I am taking the view that 2 are better than none and agree that 4 are better than 2. My experience in the snow with only 2 tyres is that the back end can swing out if you take a bend too fast and I have had some fun experimenting. When driving in snow which is not often, there is a bigger need for traction when driving off from a standing start or going up hill. In my Ford Galaxy with 2 snow tyres, I have driven up hills in deep snow when all other none snow tyre vehicles have been stuck, so it effectivenes for what I want them for it great. I just make sure that I keep my speed down and don't go round bends too fast. Others may have differeing views.

Regarding the A7, even though I have not had any snow experience, I am not sure that the snow tyres would be very effective. This is due to the 255 width tyres. I give it a try this year, but don't think the traction would be anywhere near the Galaxy's 215 width tracton.