PDA

View Full Version : chip advice

john24susan
14-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Hi all, I have never used or considered fitting a chip to any of my cars before,so I am looking for advice and guidance. I have just bought a New Audi A 4 2l TDI 143 bhp and would like to improve my fuel economy as I had a golf GT mark 6 with the same engine,as the Audi is a bigger and different type of car I would like to improve the fuel consumption. I have a slight worry about fitting the chip to a brand new car as this might effect my warranty or damage the engine and as the car has a 3year warranty it may void the manufacturers warranty ? If my car had to go into Audi for servicing or repair would Audi be able to detect using there computer systems if the chip was taken out ? The car has a diesel particulate filter fitted and want to know if fitting the chip would this effect the filter or damage it? The question is that I do not want to damage or void my warranty on this new car. Has anyone fitted a chip to the same car and how did they find the results ie what fuel inprovements where made ?
Hope you can help with these questions, Many Thanks John Hynd.

turpal
14-09-2012, 09:30 PM
A propper ecu remap my advise,no stupid dodgy chips.Here is a member Chip-and-spin talk to him as he does £250 I think with a power run.

john24susan
17-09-2012, 06:04 PM
May thanks for your reply turpal, I will have a think before I make a move. Thanks,

TDiBoraSam
20-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Do you really want to start messing around with your nice new car?

A chip or remap will invalidate your warranty, end of. It is also very likely to increase your insurance premium.

As I've said many times on this forum, I've yet to see any tuning company provide proper scientific reasoning for where they get their increased power and economy figures from, or provide any evidence to say how much of a bhp increase various turbos and clutches will tolerate on different engines.

Leave it well alone. It will be a hard job getting Audi to replace the turbo after 12 months because a chip or remap has ruined it!

Aptuning
21-09-2012, 08:31 PM
As this is brand new car with warranty I would leave it well alone. As already said it will invalidate your warranty. Audi like BMW can simply plug their computer into your car and it will tell them that your car is not running the software that it is suppose to have! Wait until the warranty has run out then have it remapped, do not bother with plugin boxes either.