PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox pinion bearing fault

markyp130
12-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Hello i have a 2003 Passat 130 tdi sport PD which has covered 120k ,but has got very rumbley gearbox pinion bearings.(The two bearings on the output to the drive shafts) :1zhelp: Having read many threads relating to the 6 speed gearbox bearing failures and being shocked by vw,s replacement price £1000+. I was hoping someone could tell me if they have replaced the bearings,oil seals and gaskets etc themselves, how much the parts cost and how tricky a job it is.I would also like to carry out the repair with the gearbox in place by just dropping the drive shafts off and then removing the bearing casings..? Any help,advice,quick fixes or does anyone else have the same problem as mine have been rumbling for the last 30k... Thankyou....
:beerchug:

stevegrass777
13-08-2007, 08:40 AM
I don't know what oil is in your gear box but i think vw will sometimes
try G52 fully synthetic to quieten a gearbox.
There is a G52 none synthetic that i think is put in from new.
You will have to talk to part's to confirm what oil is put in yours from new as if it already has fully synth G52 then it wouldn't make much difference.

I warn you that G52 fully synth is very expensive and not equalled in performance or viscosity by any off the shelf brand.

If you change your oil you can have a good look at the stuff that comes out
if it has lot's of metallic bit's in then something is wearing,
although some metallic bits will be in there and is normal.

markyp130
13-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the info on the oil.I have drained the gearbox oil at 101k and found no metallic particals and the oil was a dark straw colour.Refilled with vw quatum HY.Syn 75w/90 as supplied by spalding volkswagen. So at least i know the gears are not wearing excessively but the output bearings are just as rumbley.

As for the bearing rumble it started at 90k while driving at 60 ish ! instantly ,no previous groans or any noises .The rumble has not worsened in an extra 30k ,but i am concerned it may lead to a total bearing failure . So time to sort the problem i think!! :buttkick:Thanks

On my way out with the wife and kids today i called into Boston volkswagen to quiz them about 6speed bearing failures and the price of parts,They were very helpful and not to cagey about the increasingly common output shaft bearing failures in higher milage 6 speed passats. Infact they have a passat with 160k booked in to have the output bearings etc replaced ,they intend removing the gearbox to work on and i guess replace the clutch plate at the same time. They think i should be able to disconnect the driveshafts and unbolt the output bearing casings.The prices of the parts required: Diff Bearings £28/£12..Output Bearings £54/£142 and £2.55 for a gasket.
I will try to post some pictures of the rebuild if all goes well and this solves the problem. Fingers crossed.......

jeepjunkie
28-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Any update on this? Cheers