PDA

View Full Version : iPod connection - confused!

devore
07-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Hey all.

I have a 2008 A4 1.8T. I'd love to get my Ppod connected to my stereo, but nor via a FM Transmitter because I can't stand them!

The unit I have is the basic version, from what I can see I don't have any fancy MMI or anything like that, my screen is a monochrome red one, and my stereo says "Audi Chorus" on the front.

Is there a cable I can purchase that can plug into the rear of my stereo that will do this or am I looking at something more complicated? Any advice really appreciated!

Guest 2
07-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Could you post a pic of your headunit?

devore
07-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Hey Chris, pic link: click here (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6671301/IMAG0964%20%28Medium%29.jpg)

Sorry about the quality, just ran out to take it now, flash making a horrible reflection on the screen!

Guest 2
07-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Didn't know you could get a B8 with a monochrome screen but there you go.

Have a look here - ipod confusion audi models (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=46381)

I doubt you can fit AMI (Audi Music Interface) as its a basic model so aftermarket is the only way.

Something like a Dension or icecarlink or similar would do the job.

I'm not on my laptop right now but will have a look at compatible models in the morning.

It might be possible to fit an AUX socket but I will check and let you know.

devore
07-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Would massively appreciate that Chris. Feel like I'm back in the 90's changing CD's in the car while driving! Love the car otherwise.

gregpot2000
08-09-2012, 09:14 AM
I believe the Monochrome screens were part of the spec for the standard version. You need to spec SE to get the colour screen. But the thing is you hardly see any models that aren't SE or S line, so there aren't really that many about

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

devore
10-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Didn't know you could get a B8 with a monochrome screen but there you go.

Have a look here - ipod confusion audi models (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=46381)

I doubt you can fit AMI (Audi Music Interface) as its a basic model so aftermarket is the only way.

Something like a Dension or icecarlink or similar would do the job.

I'm not on my laptop right now but will have a look at compatible models in the morning.

It might be possible to fit an AUX socket but I will check and let you know.

Hi Chris, sorry to nag, just wondering if you've had any luck with what my options might be for this?

Cheers!

Guest 2
11-09-2012, 07:05 AM
Hi Chris, sorry to nag, just wondering if you've had any luck with what my options might be for this?

Cheers!

Forgot all about this sorry - will be back on this evening and will post.

Guest 2
11-09-2012, 08:12 PM
OK had a quick look and seems nothing is avaliable with the Chorus - I think this is to do with it being NON-MMI and having the monochrome screen.

The ROI must get poverty spec on the basic A4's as all UK spec B8's come with the colour screen as standard (iirc) - if you had this you would have more options re music.

A PM to Jon (a8 tech) would prove useful and knows more than me! VW AUDI Forum - a8 tech (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?11915-a8-tech)

The only thing I can suggest is a Parrot which supports bluetooth music streaming but Jon will know otherwise.

I'll continue looking.

devore
11-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks Chris. Yeah, the ROI gets ridiculous spec in cars, mostly due to extras in cars pushing up the import tax that has to be paid on them. Even still I'm disappointed that a 2008 Audi doesn't have an option to add a digital music player of some sort. I really appreciate you taking a look!

Guest 2
11-09-2012, 09:37 PM
You can add an iPod connection but you need at least the Concert unit with the colour screen to get any functionality.

I was surprised to see a B8 with the monochrome screen so immediately thought it cant be a UK spec car.

Suppose with even importing a Northern car you will have to pay your rediclious VRT fees.

You could always get a good quality FM transmitter but wont be crystal clear everywhere.

a8 tech
13-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Hi I have just done a full retro fit from the monochrome to colour screen and upgraded the radio and added ami

the radio you have does not support the cable for colour screen or ipod so you need to

retro fit the 2010 radio with colour screen and ami also the coloured screen requires a new facia as it larger

I also retrofitted the coloured dash as well

used the parts from a damaged vehicle just needed to order the new cable for the screen

Pianoman
16-09-2012, 11:28 PM
I'm in the exact same boat myself re chorus and monochrom screen. I'm also considering getting the better specked system with the colour screen but don't you have to get a certain number from your orignal head unit and then get the dealer to code the radio for you? I am very seriously thinking of going this path to have the Bluetooth an iPod connection. It sounds like a lot of work and coud be costly

devore
18-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Have just seen your response now.

Wow that sounds like a lot of (expensive!) work - any idea on how much this would cost in total?

Guest 2
19-09-2012, 07:10 AM
It's probably not as bad as you think - although the conversion from £ to € will be the worst bit.

No idea on the cost but you could get everything you need from a crashed car or similar or get lucky on eBay.

a8 tech
19-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Without converting the dash its around £1500 new parts but try second hand

The dealers will not be able to code all the changes but can release c/p protection

If you do add the colour dash then you need to adjust the mileage and the dealer can only adjust mileage up to 50 miles and after that the dash is locked for oem tools

So you need the colour mmi screen

Dash facia for the larger screen

2010 > radio

Ami can retro fit kit

You also need to add the coms cable from the radio to the mmi screen

Release c/p on the radio

Code the radio and add ami to media position 2 or 3 (cant remember)

You can then also retro fit phone prep if you wish

like this Audi A4 8K A5 8T Q5 8R Radio Concert MP3 CD Player SD | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-8K-A5-8T-Q5-8R-Radio-Concert-MP3-CD-Player-SD-/251135777196?pt=CE_Auto_Hi_Fi_Autoradios&hash=item3a78dbd9ac)

Check p/n for ami function and you only need the dash facia to add

AUDI A5 DASH SCREEN HAZARD SWITCH COVER SURROUND- 8K2 857 185 D / 8K2857185D | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A5-DASH-SCREEN-HAZARD-SWITCH-COVER-SURROUND-8K2-857-185-D-8K2857185D-/180941842988?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a20f96a2c#ht_3299wt_1188)

So you could just fit yourself and take it to audi to release c/p then get some one with vcds to code your radio

You just disconnect the wire from the older basic radio to the older screen and the rest of the wiring is the same din

The ebay links are just to show you what you need and not the exact p/n for ami functionality

See ipod confusion for the ami info

gregpot2000
19-09-2012, 09:10 PM
wow! and i thought getting a new concert radio to replace my early one with "cd/sd" button, and then having the ami fitted was a lot of hassle!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2