PDA

View Full Version : no fun in the rain

ktscarlet
11-06-2006, 06:36 PM
I bought my 2000 jetta bora about 6 months ago, as a result of Hurricane Wilma flooding my old car. Well now every time it rains my Jetta gets Flooded. When I say Flooded I am talking about Puddles on both the passenger side and drivers side front and back on my floor. Now it has been raining for 2 days and the headliner is soaked through above and on the side of the door panels.....I'm looking for help of any kind...any ideas..open to all suggestions.

jacobsdad
20-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Does this car have a sunroof?? I dont mean a leaking sunroof, but does it have a sunroof?

ktscarlet
21-06-2006, 04:38 AM
yes it has a sunroof

jacobsdad
21-06-2006, 10:01 AM
One possible cause of this could be that their are tubes which run from the sunroof guttering down through the car's A posts and out near the front wheel arches. These help carry excess water away from the sunroof guttering so that it can drain off in excess rain. If these are blocked, then the water can't escape and builds up - thus leaking into your car.

A way to test this is to open the roof and carefully poor some water into the sunroof guttering. If it doesn't soak away it means the tubes are blocked. A strong blow of compressed air down the tubes normally does the job of unblocking it.

Another reason on some cars (such as Renault Clio's), it that water gets in around the aerial base on the roof. Renault, in their stupidity, placed the remote control sensor for the central locking directly under the aerial so that when it leaked, the remote stopped working. Clever! So, if your aerial is near the front it could be this. Remove the base and re-seal it with silcon sealent.

Other than trying these two things, I would say you have a poor sunroof seal. A way to test this is to get some tape and tape up around the sunroof. Get in the car and get a friend to hose the car down wile you sit inside it. If it doesn't leak - it's your sunroof seal. Don't forget to take the tape off once you have tried this as if it bakes ontp your paintwork it will be a nightmare to remove!!

The fact that your headlining is so wet (not just damp) leads me to think there is an issue up above - not down below!!

Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.

Sam
21-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Didn't spot this duplicate thread - did my post in your other thread help at all?

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1369

jacobsdad
21-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Sorry as a newbie to the site I wasn't aware of this thread but it would appear we are talking along the same lines at least.

ktscarlet
23-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Thanks for your post i am going to look into that today...however would that also explain the reason the the floor has puddles on it as well.

ktscarlet
23-06-2006, 05:14 PM
yes actually your message did help a great. As I do not have a great deal of free time, I have been slow to look into the problem. However i am off today and going to give it a shot. Any idaes on how to change the headlight?

jacobsdad
24-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks for your post i am going to look into that today...however would that also explain the reason the the floor has puddles on it as well.

Well if enough water is leaking in then yes.