PDA

View Full Version : TDI starting problem

j_coupland
11-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Hi all.

I just noticed a possible answer to this problem but I want to post the question anyway.

Sometimes when I start my 95 Golf TDI the engine will fire but stop immediately. Another 2-3 attempts to start the engine will get it running and also sometimes the engine will turn over and over for a while before it fires. I'm maybe thinking glowplugs, or some kind of relay in the preheat system? I don't think it's fuel filter related because I haven't noticed any air bubbles in the fuel lines.

Any ideas?

John

Albert
11-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Hi there John!

I am experiencing the same problem in the mornings when the car is still cold. The car fires, but the engine does'nt keep running. It normally takes on the 3rd try and then for the rest of the day it wil start perfectly. The same thing will happen again the next day. The dealer, although I do not really trust them for doing a descent job, says that they can not find any problem with the system!

Can you point me to the right direction as to where the fault might be?

Thanx
Albert

t4driver
11-07-2006, 09:52 PM
HI Guys 1st you must look by the exhaust to see if it is emitting smoke when you crank it at cold, if it is you have a glow plug system problem. If no smoke then you have a fuel fault, which may be fuel drainig back to the tank via a small air leak when not running (VERY HARD TO FIND) Check filter seals. Worst case the one way valves in the injector pump are faulty, sometimes caused by someone putting in the wrong fuel a while ago

Millabit
19-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Hi John, I have had this problem for the past 9 months with my 95 TDI Golf, too. The problem got progressively worse, until finally I couldn't get it running at all. Well, my problem turned out to be a sticking fuel solenoid. Next time you are having problems, try giving the solenoid a good whack with a hammer or wrench or something, to loosen it. It should then start no problems (although you should probably get it replaced). Seems to be a common problem, the guy who sold me a replacement knew all about it.

Millabit
30-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Hi John,

Did you get your problem sorted? What was it?

I've finally managed to get my fuel solenoid changed, but that didn't seem to solve the problem :( ...I was so sure that was it! So I'd really appreciate if you would tell me how you got on with yours.

Thanks and kind regards,
Camilla