PDA

View Full Version : Polo reliability

vc-10
01-09-2012, 03:47 PM
I think that my poor old Polo is starting to collapse (see other thread about oil leaks!) and did some maths to work out whether it's worth replacing it or not. It's done 130,000 miles, so I reckon, being basic, it's probably worth about £1,200.

I made up a spreadsheet where I have calculated running costs, fuel costs, etc, and put in a few different cars. It seems that, while you pay more up front for something like a new shape Bluemotion, in the long run it's cheaper due to the better fuel economy, and the reduced chance of something expensive falling off/exploding/whatever. I've put the following options into my spreadsheet:

~2003 Polo 1.4 TDI (75PS) 9n
~2006 Polo 1.4 TDI (70PS) 9n2
~2011 Polo 1.2 TDI (75PS Bluemotion) 6r
~2011 Polo 1.2 TDI (75PS SE) 6r
~2010 Polo 1.6 TDI (75PS SE) 6r
~2009 Ibiza 1.4 TDI (80PS Ecomotive) 6j - Early model

What are people's opinions on reliability with these? I wouldn't expect the 2003 Polo to be that much better than my current one, and, while it would be better on fuel, it would be little more than an upgrade to something with some toys (like aircon and electric windows!). I'm tempted to splash the cash as it were on a second hand 6r Bluemotion- they can be found for about £11k with about 20k miles on them, and the spec is nice. I figured that fuel costs are only going to go up, so the Bluemotion would be a very attractive option. Factor in the lower risk of being stranded on the roadside in a cloud of steam, and it's a very nice idea. Having a car with a 5* EuroNCAP rating would be nice too.

The Ibiza is cheaper than the Bluemotion over 4 years (the spreadsheet was originally for my dad and his company car workings), but lacks ESP that the Polos have as standard, which I think is a very attractive safety feature in the 6r's favour, and doesn't have the Polo's cabin quality. The Ibizas that are cheap enough to be worth it are also the earlier version of the Ecomotive 6j, which lack stop/start, which, as I do a lot of city driving (and enough out-of-town to clear the DPF!) would be a mark towards the Bluemotion.

Opinions? Anyone (Crasher...) heard any horror stories about any of them? I've heard good things about the 1.4 TDI engines, but of course that's only part of the story! Did the hopeless suspension bushings get fixed on the 9n2?