PDA

View Full Version : T4 engine room making black smoke

awltrades
11-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Hi All,

My T4 (1996 800 turbo) has started making bucket loads of black smoke. At the moment I suspect rings as the engine seems to blowing oil up from the crank case breather in to the turbo via the air intake. I have elsawin and there are various tools mentioned for various jobs.

My questions are -

1, can the exhaust down pipe be removed and replaced from the manifold with out the tool?

2, are the various engine jacking tools necessary to get the engine out or can this be reasonably frigged?

3, Does the engine have to be dropped to get it out or could it come out from above?

4, Finally, if you think I'm barking up the wrong tree, please tell me:-)

Any help would be really good.
Thanks in advance

Tom

Freshup
13-08-2007, 06:03 AM
Hello.
I'd check the turbo first. Black or white smoke fuel, blue smoke oil.
You can remove exhaust pipe clips with screwdriver but just about impossible to replace without tool. Easy enough to make tool out of 1/4" flat steel. Possible to do rings and bearings in place, just remember small allen screw into bellhousing above R/H drive shaft behind speedo drive when you can't get sump off. Other tool for setting cam position again easily made.
Cheers

onzarob
13-08-2007, 07:07 AM
Black smoke is fule as said, i would check MAF, injectors are woring correctly, bad atomisation can cause exessive somke.

How many miles has the Van done?

awltrades
13-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Thanks for suggestions and info, folks.

I've spent a bit of time out there with my head banging against the bonnet and I'm now pretty certain that the turbo has let fly.

I took off the air intake hose (item 11 below) and, although there was a bit of oil in there, it was nothing like the amount that I found coming out of the turbo into the air hose.(Item 9 below)

I've spent a couple of hours removing various bits and pieces (as well as the sump guard as a socket fell down there) and have now reached the point where I'm struggling to get the heat shield, mainfold and turbo off. There seems to no way of ever seeing what it is I think I might be wanting to do. Any ideas how this lot comes off. I can feel some bolts but as to actually getting a socket or spanner on, well . . . .

For what it's worth to any others reading this, I'll try adding an extract from elsawin.

Nope! that didn't work. One I tried posting this, the pictures dissapeared and onlt the text could be seen. I'll try again

awltrades
13-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Charge air system with turbocharger Diagramme

I've tried various ways of posting this info but the site limits are exceeded each time. If anybody wants this and has any ideas, let me know.

onzarob
13-08-2007, 08:28 PM
mite be best if you link the pictures from another site. eg photobucket or flickr. we keep the upload limits low so we keep the site free for members;)

Freshup
13-08-2007, 10:33 PM
After pipework, turbo can be removed leaving inlet manifold in place. Nuts holding turbo to manifold pretty awkward 2 at rear 1 front upside down. Flex head ratcheting ring spanner worth trying. Before refitting, remove oil supply pipe completely and check for carbon buildup at turbo end. Must be scrupulously clean, fill turbo with oil before refitting pipe and starting engine.

awltrades
14-08-2007, 06:18 AM
Thanks for info, Freshup.

The oil feeder under the turbo - does that have to be unbolted as well or will that lift out with the turbo. One more question. When removing the turbo bolts, do you need to do that from below or can that be done from above.
Once the rain stops, I'll go out and have another go.
Thanks all

Freshup
14-08-2007, 06:30 AM
Hi, I'd undo the bottom of oil feed first and try, don't know for sure. Turbo nuts undo from top. Pretty tricky esp if rusted, plenty of penetrating oil. Pays to refit with "CopperKote" or similar anti-seize.
Cheers

awltrades
20-08-2007, 04:24 PM
The latest on the T4 Turbo . . . I have struggled beyond reason and common sense with this job. Many thanks to those who offered me advice. I looked at info from Elsawin, I even looked at various Haynes manuals on VW and Audi trying to glean inspiration and with a combination of those manuals, the advice from this thread and other threads in the Audi and VW sections on this site I have finally managed to extradite the turbo (I got the Bu**er out).
I took out the front grille and swung the rad forward. The fans still got in the way so they came out.
Next to get in the way was the header to the rad so out that came.
Elaswin says that the inlet manifold, heat shield, and exhaust manifold should be removed, and the exhaust to cat should come apart.
Due to the impossibilities of reaching some of the exhaust manifold nuts and having one of them completely seized I changed direction.
Having got the inlet manifold off, I bought a set of swivel headed, ratchet spanners from Halfords ( currently on a substantial offer) A really worth while way to get rid of cash because I think that with out them, this job would have been a whole lot worse. With these spanners I managed to get over, under, through, around the turbo to release the three bolts holding it on. The spanners and copious amounts of penetrating oil did the job.
As I managed to break my neck and back some years ago, I’m hurting now so, at the moment I haven’t really looked at the turbo to see what’s wrong. I did, however, notice a loose triangular shaped bit, with some vanes on. A bit like that it might be a pump.
I’m sure the pain or the spend isn’t over yet but . . .I am delighted that that turbo is out.

mojogoes
30-08-2007, 11:55 PM
Forgive me for not seeing this thread much earlier....my first question is at the very time you noticed the black smoke did you hear a noise coming from the engine compartment at all or a hissssssing sound.....and can you actually hear the turbo whistling / making boost , if its yes to both these Q then i would suspect that somewhere either in your inter-cooler rubber hoses or the smaller vacuum pipes leading to and from your turbo actuator and n75 valve etc..............you have a leak / slit / break in a hose/pipe .

Other than that you could very well have some leaves or debry lodged in your intake pipe or air box before the the mass air meter/maf.....and 3rdly it could have been something as simple as the fuel filter being blocked or the check valve ontop of the filter...if your motors have one.....good luck with it.