PDA

View Full Version : advise on workshop manuals an diagnostcic guidance

andybaz
30-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Not sure where to put this question, so thought i would start here :o, so we get dashboard lights on, pull the codes from the car and struggle with the description :o, i know we can buy vcds etc, but are there any other bits of cd material that anyone can recommend etc, for example you have the code then you need a fault tree to follow with specifications to that code ?

kite
30-08-2012, 07:13 PM
If you have the codes, look them up up on the rosstech wiki.

follow me on twitter...kiteaudi...

Guest 2
30-08-2012, 08:48 PM
sometimes you can google " fault code ross tech" and subsitute fault code for the code that the scan produces

martin1810
01-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Not sure where to put this question, so thought i would start here :o, so we get dashboard lights on, pull the codes from the car and struggle with the description :o, i know we can buy vcds etc, but are there any other bits of cd material that anyone can recommend etc, for example you have the code then you need a fault tree to follow with specifications to that code ?

The code descriptions are on my site but you won't get fault tree type help because most codes have too many possible causes. Some codes on VAG can be caused by unrelated parts of the car.

bearthebruce
09-10-2012, 04:28 PM

There is a site: http://www.gerritspeek.nl/vag-com_foutcodeslijst-en.html that seems to have a pretty decent look up for you. Maybe it will help?

Doctle Odd
09-10-2012, 05:52 PM
You could buy one of these, no diagnostics but quite good

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/320915270924?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1547wt_1008

Doctle Odd
09-10-2012, 07:02 PM
When you get a fault code for example P1142 which is the MAF sensor you don't immediately start pulling parts. If you type the code into Ross-Tech Wiki you'll see this

17550/P1142/004418 - Load Calculation Cross Check: Lower Limit ExceededPossible Causes

Mass Air Flow Sensors (G70) faulty
Intake Air System faulty/leaking (false Air)
Throttle Pedal faulty
Throttle Body dirty/faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Mass Air Flow Sensors (G70)
Check Intake Air System
Check Throttle Pedal

Check Throttle Pedal Position Sensor (G79)
Check Throttle Pedal Position Sensor 2 (G185)

Check Throttle Body

Check Angle Sensor 1 for Throttle Actuator (G187)
Check Angle Sensor 2 for Throttle Actuator (G188)

Check Engine Control Unit

You need a multimeter to check resistance etc, just go through the list eliminating sensors bad connections etc until you have solved the problem. You might need to clear the fault codes before certain things work properly. You can look on the internet for voltages resistance etc for the various sensors.