PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Arnold Clark Service, Sighthill Edinburgh - not satisfied

wanindra
30-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Hi all,

I am hoping to get some tips on what to do next after sending my 2008 A4 2.0 tdi S-line to be serviced yesterday.

The total (cost) of the service came to 182.46, this is not the main problem, and I was happy to pay (assuming that what the did was right - although I am sure that I can get somewhere else cheaper if I knew this trade well).

As the background info, the car was purchased at the same Arnold Clark exactly a year ago (purchased their Clark Plan and 2 year warranty as well - persuaded by the salesman at that time).

The Problem

Anyway, what I am not sure about was the fact that I reported to them the fact that the front (right) headlight washer does not go back in fully (every now and then) and wanted them to have a look at it so that they can give me the quote for the work.

The car was left with them for the day and I later got a call back saying it was going to cost which I told them not to do the work for now.

When I went to pick up the car, I was presented with the situation much worse than what I gave them. The flap (on the bumper) which covers the spray mechanism for the headlight washing, was just left opened. I can't even push it back anymore. I pointed this to the guy (whom I think was the Reception Manager), he then tried to fix it (in the rain - whilst I was holding the umbrella) and started explaining to me that it was the problem with the spring and this is the part which had to fix. I told him that this is worse condition compared to when I gave him the car. He started asking me "what do you want me to do?" and explained to me that "this is why we have to fix it" and the problem was not avoidable because it had to be done. At the end (still raining heavily), he resolved the problem of the opened flap by using some masking tape. Yes, masking tape - which I thought sums it up. I am waiting for him to contact me again to let me know how to resolve this problem.

In my opinion, if I was asking for a price, I expect that my item will not be damaged or problem made worse by any diagnostic / tests and they should have informed me if by doing a test/diagnostic that the problem might be worsen.

I am writing to ask people from this forum for an opinion. Am I right to question about this or am I suppose to follow whatever they guy was saying to me? I don't feel like I have been treated very well. Please note that this is my first Audi and my experience in terms of dealing with car salesman / services are very very limited.

If you have any tips please do let me know. For sure I will not be back at Arnold Clark, only bad experiences so far. Not in Edinburgh and not anywhere else either.

Thank you!

Oh, see image for the thing which I am talking about.

chody
30-08-2012, 08:45 PM
i bought my car from arnold clark in glasgow and also initially bought the 2 year service and warranty plan but my nephew who worked for them told me to cancel which i did within the 14 day cooling off period as he warned me it was a complete waste of money the use the cheapest parts they can find and it is a very cursory service, i also wont be going back to arnold clark, your best bet is to contact there customer service head office they might get you a result as i think they fine the dealers for unresolved complaints, good luck, i can recommend a good audi independant in clydebank ,it may be to far for you to travel but they are very good, this lot Audi Servicing Glasgow | Car Repairs | Audi Service Centre (http://www.a4audi.co.uk/)

PjDali
30-08-2012, 11:41 PM
I swore years ago never to return to any Arnold Clark site after a never ending battle regarding a 1 yr old Seat Ibiza which was still under warranty and had all sorts of electrical problems. Basically i was told by AC area manager to eff off and stop annoying them and Seat customer service didn't want to know either.

I would not trust these guys to fill up my water bottle let alone service my pride and joy. Good luck with your issue but from my experience you've got a battle on your hands to get AC staff to deliver on any promises \ offers made.

wanindra
31-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Thanks guys for the infos. Chody, I will contact the guys in Clydebank. Not too far away.
Still ongoing, I have been quoted 60 pounds to open and fix it (but maybe extra if new parts are needed - as warranty does not cover this - great).

ytsud69
31-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Sorry to hear of your problems with AC in Edinburgh. I know from experience what a shower of s*** they are. Especially once they have sold a vehicle.

I have used these guys before and found them friendly and professional:
Servicing | Deutschmarque Ltd (http://www.deutschmarque.co.uk/servicing)

Hope the link helps in some way. ;)

wanindra
31-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the link to the Deutschmarque LTd ytsud69.
I will be contacting them for sure. I think I just need someone that I can trust really.

JimC64
01-09-2012, 03:36 AM
Hey there, I had a bad exprience with Arnold Clark when I took my wifes Passat to them for servicing..........had a full service and new number plates fitted.

About 4 months later I was getting an oil change done at National Tyres..........the fitter there said the oil filter was probably the original with the car it looked that bad, considering it should have been changed 4 months ago.
Also the plates were starting to get water ingress .........I went back to AC and complained and got my money back for the service!!!

Turns out the old service manager was no longer there.............some parts scam or similar!!!
Says it all really.

I know you don't want to hear dealer, but at least call and ask them..........you never know.

I use Stirling Audi ( part of the Lomond group - recently taken over by Lookers I believe )
They have a dealership in Edinburgh ( Sighthill irc ).............at least call them and ask for pricing etc before writing them off.

If not I'm sure there are good Indy's in your area somewhere.........

Good luck

ruggedscot
01-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Arnold Clark !

I will never ever buy a car from them ever, period.

Google is a great friend and if you search out then you find out just how many people have had trouble from this company. You never see it in the papers ? Have you seen the amount of advertising that Arnold has each week ? you think that the papers are going to endanger that revenue stream ?

I bought a car from them back in 2000 - a Fiat Marea, a diesel. When I went to buy it they tried to put on the invoice bought as seen. I walked out - a couple of telephone calls later they put a warranty on the car and we went ahead, should have left it at that. The car had a knock and it went in for work on that, they then had the car for a few weeks trying to get the issues resolved. and during this time they filled it with Petrol and tried to blame me. I got it back and it had over 500 miles added to the milage. I opened the bonnet and during the works or what ever they were doing they had left the intake ducting loose in the engine bay - broke the fixing points as they could not get it off to get under it. Then they said it was I that had done this damage.
After my experiances with them Ive heard a few horror stories about their (in)competancy in dealing with people in a fair manner. I know they say you only hear of the bad things and such and the happy people never complain. Its the sheer number of the disgruntled that I hear about and it makes me think as lojng as there are other garages out there I no be darkening the door of my local A Clark dealer anytime soon.

113brucey
01-09-2012, 01:42 PM
try google or find we hate arnold clark .com it will scare you

chody
01-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Hey there, I had a bad exprience with Arnold Clark when I took my wifes Passat to them for servicing..........had a full service and new number plates fitted.

About 4 months later I was getting an oil change done at National Tyres..........the fitter there said the oil filter was probably the original with the car it looked that bad, considering it should have been changed 4 months ago.
Also the plates were starting to get water ingress .........I went back to AC and complained and got my money back for the service!!!

Turns out the old service manager was no longer there.............some parts scam or similar!!!
Says it all really.

I know you don't want to hear dealer, but at least call and ask them..........you never know.

I use Stirling Audi ( part of the Lomond group - recently taken over by Lookers I believe )
They have a dealership in Edinburgh ( Sighthill irc ).............at least call them and ask for pricing etc before writing them off.

If not I'm sure there are good Indy's in your area somewhere.........

Good luck
dont know what lookers are like but lomond audi in glasgow are as bad as arnold clark i know 4 people who will never buy another audi because of there experience with the dealer

wanindra
03-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Thanks to all, I think I have started to find out the real side of Arnold Clark now after reading on some sites.
Ruggedscott, that is I guess I am just another one of their unhappy customer. JimC64, I have now been contacting a few other people to get this thing looked at.

Thanks to all who replied again.

Splatrat
05-09-2012, 07:31 PM
in my experience ALL arnold clarke's are no good :(

Big Gaz
09-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Not sure if its the same Indy in Clydebank already mentioned but A 4 Audi on 01419524499 are excellent, ask for Andy one of the owners. I live in Aberdeen but have used them for work before. Servicing is half the price of dealer and they use OEM parts. On a side note I now use Aberdeen Audi and the service there is 2nd to none also (it may help that I have bought 2 brand new from them in the last 6 months and 5 in the last 4 years!) any issues I have had have been dealt with promptly and to my satisfaction (Chris, Scott and Mark in Sales and Jim in Service are all excellent). As for Arnold Clark I bought a 3 year old BMW X3 3.0sd (twin Turbo) there last year and it spent 29 out of the first 35 days of ownership in various workshops belonging to them before going to their BMW Dealer in Glasgow Harry Fairburn (who still couldnt find the fault) ended up taking it to Clydebank where B 4 BMW (A 4 Audi sister shop) diagnosed it in 10 minutes. Result 2 new Turbos!!! Think Arnold Clark were trying to get out of paying for it