PDA

View Full Version : Question 2.4 v6 BDV - coolant loss

wmccann
29-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Hi All,

Car: Audi A4 2.4 V6 2003 Cabriolet (engine code BDV)

Went to change my spark plugs and found they were sitting in oil when I could not get them out and heard a splodge as I withdrew the socket.

Knowing this was not good, i tightened up the plugs again and ordered a new cylinder cover gasket set.

on Saturday I set about changing the gaskets, I was very careful about clearing out all the oil before removing the plugs - I got most of it if not all. I do know that in one of them some oil might have got into the cylinder (not much, maybe a few ml).

Drivers side (RHD) went well though getting the nut which holds the dipstick tube back in was a real pain the **** - took ages.

While doing the passenger side I ran into a small problem - the vacuum tube going to the vacuum resevoir broke - a section came off. Pain but I fixed it by getting some of the out cover from a network cable, sanding down the ends of the vacuum tubes and putting some superglue on the ends and using the network cable cover as a sheath - worked well. BUT I had to break a cable tie to get the end down the side of the engine.

Drove car for about 50km on motorway on Sunday - no issues, vacuum holding well etc. on Monday though, got in and after a few minutes I got a coolant loss alert - stopped car and saw the expansion tank was empty. went into the nearest garage (2 mins away) to get some water and filled it up (took I would say approx 1/4 of a liter, may be a little more).

Anyway, I cleared out the coolant last year and it was perfect up until Monday (no need for refills etc). I have checked the ECU and no misfirings/errors and the oil on the dip stick is not cloudy etc.

My question is why the sudden loss of coolant:

1) could the messing with the dipstick nut have caused a problem (did not over torque it but it did take forever to get it threaded correctly)?

2) can you crack a head by getting oil into a cylinder?

3) Will a few ml of oil in the cylinder damage the cat (I did get a puff of white smoke when I started the car initially)?

4) could there be any other explanation for the sudden loss of coolant?

Much appreciated,

W.