PDA

View Full Version : leaking radiator

stevie-g-2.6
27-08-2012, 11:07 AM
hi, im back again at the forum...just bought my dads 03 passat 2.0 sport, paid a grand for it as he was offered that a a px.
its covered 70k from new with just him owning...mint condition with full vag history.
the only thing wrong is..a few weeks ago he said it lost a little water and the coolant light came on...he spotted a drip from the rad and chucked in some rad weld and it stopped leaking and its not lost any since...i hate rad weld, so im going to change the rad.
how easy a job is it? what do i have to remove etc to get at the rad?

Toonmania
27-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Welcome Back :)
it's a fairly straight forward job,
drop the front bumper off 4 x torx screws each side in the front arches 4 along the bottom (if you have an engine shield) and 6 larger torx screws around the grill 1 either side and 4 under the grill, then take the crash bar off think it 6 very large torx bolts (approx T35 or T40)
then the rad is in front of you.
there are a few guides like this one
Passat Repairs: 1.9TDi VW Passat Radiator Replacement (http://passat-repairs.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/replacing-radiator.html)

it should take around 1.1/2 to 2 hours start to finish taking your time with the statutory tea breaks ;)

HTH

stevie-g-2.6
27-08-2012, 06:38 PM
cheers for the info...il bee sorting that in the next couple of weeks then...just have to see what vag will say obout my wings..:biglaugh:

Toonmania
28-08-2012, 07:48 AM
if you're going to do this you might as well change the thermostat and temp sensor at the same time it will save having problems & also having to drain the system later on