PDA

View Full Version : Clicking/Rumbling from underneath glovebox

TDiBoraSam
10-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Can anyone help please?

My TDi Bora has developed a clicking/rumbling sound which is coming from underneath the glovebox. I have peeled back the carpet and found some kind of black plastic unit where the noise appears to be coming from. It has the make 'Valeo' on it.

Is this unit something to do with the Climatronic system? Also, could it be related to another problem where the car shakes at idle unless the engine is warm, or the Climate Control is turned on?

many thanks in advance for any help.

madmonk
10-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Can anyone help please?

My TDi Bora has developed a clicking/rumbling sound which is coming from underneath the glovebox. I have peeled back the carpet and found some kind of black plastic unit where the noise appears to be coming from. It has the make 'Valeo' on it.

Is this unit something to do with the Climatronic system? Also, could it be related to another problem where the car shakes at idle unless the engine is warm, or the Climate Control is turned on?

hellow sam my gttdi goes into dealers next week for erratic tick over and i've just notice that clicking noise yesterday i thought it was a relay but i never checked under carpet, i have also found tick over problem goes away when you press the clutch . i'll keep you informed mate . its took this lomg as i wanted a decent curtusy car ha ha

TDiBoraSam
10-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Ahh, interesting. the shaking on my car reduces a lot if I press the clutch too!

Let me know how you get on with yours!

Thanks for the reply.

TDiBoraSam
15-08-2007, 12:01 PM
OK, my local VW dealer has told me that the car needs a new ECU. There seems to be some debate about this being covered under warranty at the moment. One thing is for certain I won't be forking out for one! (£780 + VAT).

Since being in the garage the car now makes a loud growling/rumbling sound when the key is turned in the ignition, and the noise remains when the engine is started, and continues until the shaking/idling problems stop once the engine has warmed up. The rumbling/knocking from the 'Valeo' unit underneath the glovebox also remains.

I changed to VW hoping they would be more reliable than my old Citroen....so far I have been sorely disappointed. VW seem worse!!!! Uncooperative dealers, and an inability/unwillingness to rectify faults under warranty.

madmonk
15-08-2007, 03:39 PM
if you have the vw all componant warrenty which they give to used cars under 5 year old ,your ECU should be covered as thats what vw dealer told me , i'll find out for deffinetly tomorrow when mine goes in. when i turn my ignition on i here a horrible grinding noise sounds like a old cars fuel pump trying to suck the dregs through but much louder, does this sound like yours sam

TDiBoraSam
15-08-2007, 07:26 PM
I have started to get a kind of deep rumbling sound, when I turn the key, definately coming from under the glovebox. The noise continues until the engine has warmed up. The other noise (clicking/rumbling) is also coming from the same place.

I can't understand why the irratic idling gets better with the clutch pressed?!?!?

The sound on mine doesn't sound like the fuel pump. It's definately some kind of electrical unit.

Do you happen to know exactly where the ECU is located?

I'll be interested to hear about your visit to the dealer tomorrow.

madmonk
16-08-2007, 03:07 PM
I have started to get a kind of deep rumbling sound, when I turn the key, definately coming from under the glovebox. The noise continues until the engine has warmed up. The other noise (clicking/rumbling) is also coming from the same place.

I can't understand why the irratic idling gets better with the clutch pressed?!?!?

The sound on mine doesn't sound like the fuel pump. It's definately some kind of electrical unit.

Do you happen to know exactly where the ECU is located?

I'll be interested to hear about your visit to the dealer tomorrow.
The erratic miss on tick over is caused by a worn fly wheel ,so they said today and they were 99% sure warrenty would cover it and as for the clicking noise from footwell they don't know as it didn't happen when they had car.

madmonk
16-08-2007, 07:07 PM
I have just come off phone from VW and they are replacing my fly wheel and fitting a new clutch due to it being quote- shaped to damaged fly wheel. all this work is being carried out on the extended all componant warrenty i got with the car, i asked how this would happen and what causes it to happen to a low milage car and was told it was just one of the very few things that go occasionally wrong with the 130 pd engine

TDiBoraSam
16-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the info. Very interesting to know. I wonder why mine stops the irratic idling when the engine warms up?

Will take mine to a different garage and see if they come up with the same diagnosis or if they still think it's the ECU.

madmonk
16-08-2007, 10:20 PM
i wouldn't say mine stopped when warmed up but i'de say it was 90% better but they need to remove gearbox to check flywheel and if it wasn't natual causes or if it wasn't that they will charge you the labour, surely if your ECU was knacked your car would be running like a bag of hammers all the time, did you say you had any warrenty if you have use it mate

mobitune
18-08-2007, 10:26 AM
I have just come off phone from VW and they are replacing my fly wheel and fitting a new clutch due to it being quote- shaped to damaged fly wheel. all this work is being carried out on the extended all componant warrenty i got with the car, i asked how this would happen and what causes it to happen to a low milage car and was told it was just one of the very few things that go occasionally wrong with the 130 pd engine

Another way of saying that it's a common problem!?

If I'd asked for a reason why it happened and they had palmed me off with that i'd be asking for someone higher up. I'm a service manager myself and know that if I put "its something that occasionally goes wrong" on a warranty claim I would get it back. It sounds to me like they want to hide the reason from you. I would want to find out exactly what caused it, what if it happens again outside warranty? Yes they may tell you it wont but how do you know for sure, and if it does will they cover it?

Failing that, if you know the reason they (the clutch and flywheel) become worn and the cause has been removed from the equation then you can rest easy at night knowing that it wont happen again. It's like fitting a new set of shell bearings to cure a knock, if it was caused by a bad oil pump then the problem will come back, right? Same with your clutch/flywheel.

Hope everything turns out ok for you

Pete

madmonk
19-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Can anyone help please?

when they were repairing car they herd the clicking noise and i thought it was coming from passenger side footwell but it was a brake pedal switch which they replaced it no problem , but now i have my car back the steering wheel is off center and pulls to the right, they recon they never caused it but it was straight as a dye i sat there for an hour then they told me it needs to go on 4 wheel alinement merchine which they said would take 2 houres so i'm going back monday and if they think i'm paying for it done they can whistle for it

rpbartlett
21-08-2007, 12:05 PM
I had the clicking noise in the front passenger footwell. Took it to VW and it turned out to be some airflap that was stuck open causing the funny noise. This is connected to the climate control system. They apparently had to take off the dash to fix, which resulted in a very nice bill for me.

TDiBoraSam
23-08-2007, 12:50 PM
If the noise is coming from the same place as on mine I don't see why they had to remove the dash?!

Peel back the carpet, undo 2 or 3 plastic screws holding some padding in place, and the unit that's causing the trouble is pretty easily accessible.

I was almost certain it has something to do with climate control, so what you've written has confirmed that.

To go back to madmonk's earlier thread...my Bora's steering wheel is misaligned to the left, and the car pulls to the left. All VW keep telling me is that all Boras pull to the left!!!!! Yeah right!

It's this damn lumpy idling that's still bugging me. It stops when the engine is warm or if the clutch is pressed, but VW say I need a new ECU. I don't have the time to go around different VW garages to get fobbed off with differeing answers.

madmonk
23-08-2007, 01:11 PM
If the noise is coming from the same place as on mine I don't see why they had to remove the dash?!

Peel back the carpet, undo 2 or 3 plastic screws holding some padding in place, and the unit that's causing the trouble is pretty easily accessible.

I was almost certain it has something to do with climate control, so what you've written has confirmed that.

To go back to madmonk's earlier thread...my Bora's steering wheel is misaligned to the left, and the car pulls to the left. All VW keep telling me is that all Boras pull to the left!!!!! Yeah right!

It's this damn lumpy idling that's still bugging me. It stops when the engine is warm or if the clutch is pressed, but VW say I need a new ECU. I don't have the time to go around different VW garages to get fobbed off with differeing answers.if they are saying you need a new ECU ask them for the fault codes as it would show up when they checked your ECU if thats the case they are right but your rough idle might still be the same as mine [duel mass flywheel] keep your fingers crossed its not both mate as that would be very expensive, you never said if your car had any warranty on it ??