PDA

View Full Version : A6 Steering Rack

RobDob
10-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Turns out, to add to my woes, my A6 has about 1" of play in the steering rack as well. Is this a major job? ie does the whole rack need to be replaced? Any suggestions gratefully received!!

Peter D
10-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Assumming the slack is not the out ball joint then I suspect the 'track rod' inside the gater is shot. These can be changed in situ. Regards Peter

RobDob
10-08-2007, 05:38 PM
And what if it is the out-ball joint?

Peter D
10-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Much simpler job, but you said the rack. A steering ball joint is not part of the rack. If you buy a new rack it does not come with outer ball joints. Where are you measuring the 1 inch of free movement, at the out edge of the tyre, the steering wheel, where. I would not be driving the car until this is fixed. Regards Peter

RobDob
10-08-2007, 09:14 PM
A mechanic who took a look this afternoon told me about the rack. It's been back to the dealer who sold it to me twice with no success so thought I'd get a second opinion!! Not sure where this 1" is measured from exactly. Armed with this info I shall be going back to the dealer who sold it me and get it fixed! It only had an MOT 2 weeks back so don't know how it passed!
Thanks for your replies Peter, you've been very helpful.
Regards
Rob