PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Issues?

scott1984
20-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Hello all, my first post, so please be gentle.

Spent some time reading after doing some searching on here and I am convinced that there is something wrong with my clutch.

Purchased this car 10k miles ago when it had 28k on the clock. Audi approved used car so it has its warranty for a year

It recently went in for its service when I asked them to check issues with 1st gear being hard to select in the mornings, and clutch judder from cold.

Their answer was that this is a known audi fault and there is nothing that can be done due to the bell housing being vented and moisture getting onto the DMF & clutch plate when the car cools down.

I have however noticed that the judder is also present after a motorway run, so that can't be moisture surely?

I am waiting for the car to go back in as it is due a new fuel filler housing as it has stopped locking.

Any advice please? Car in question is a 2.0tdi 143bhp. Would really like to have this sorted before the warranty runs out next year in march!

Scott

magt1000
20-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Clucth issues? Yes.

High Mileage? (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?133395-High-Mileage)

Do a forum search. There are other threads in the B8 section.

DjDangy
21-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Thats probably the best reply your getting on here Scott! Very clicky forum!!!
There's only so much searching and reading other people's threads you can do, but when you have a question in particular like your bell housing water ingress... I know where your coming from, you just want to ask.. I'm in the motor trade myself and I do have a contact at Audi Technical, PM me your vin number and I will get him to do a search for any out standing recalls or bulletins for you. :)

NickH A4
21-08-2012, 07:28 AM
This isn't a clicky forum. Some of the regulars are away as you would expect for this time of year. There are posts on clutch issues and yes it would be worth searching but this dosn't mean that someone won't share their knowledge and thoughts in this post too.

I have had no issues with my clutch. If it's going in anyway I would get them to look again and if you're really not happy go and compare it to a similar age and mileage car to show it's not right. Clutches have been replaced so it depends how hard you push them...

Nick

c.grex
21-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Clucth issues? Yes.

High Mileage? (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?133395-High-Mileage)

Do a forum search. There are other threads in the B8 section.

I'm totally confused by your reply? What does it mean?

The original poster has said he is having clutch issues, and you have said 'YES' he has also said the car has 38k on it, hardly high mileage?

As for the forum being clicky, I don't think it's any worse than others. Sometimes replys take some time due to not that many me members with B8's and then the other one could be not that many issues yet with B8's!

If you don't think the car is right, keep pushing Audi. One think you can ask for is a test drive in a similar car / mileage and see how that compares. You can then sometimes explain the issue better.

gtsloz19
21-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Having owned a few Audis in the past, keep pushing them to fix it under warranty!
You will have no back up when the warranty runs out so do it now.
I'm currently on the look out for a good used B8 Sline and my search is taking forever!:1zhelp:

Guest 2
21-08-2012, 09:00 AM
I have read on here from one of the MT's that if you say your clutch is slipping they are more likely to replace it under goodwill/warranty.

Just don't go and burn the clutch though ... That would just be stupid :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scott1984
21-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the replies :D

Hardly high mileage at 38k, so I will pester them when I get the back in there for its fuel filler housing replacement.

I have a friend that works at the dealership which kinda makes things awkward, I don't want to create hell and make him look like he's brought all this hassle on :(

One thing that I will question is that they have said that Audi UK know these faults and they have said there is nothing that can be done due to the overly vented bell housing. I will ask for this in writing however.
They also said that the stiff gear linkage will settle down with mileage, which I also think is crap because this car is on 38k now?!

Will keep you posted

Scott

Monktopus
28-08-2012, 03:13 PM
I had an issue with clutch judder. I mentioned it when my car, same as yours but saloon, went in for it's first service after I bought it used approved with 49k on it. The lead tech came out in the car with me and typically the judder was minimal. He said he could feel something though and agreed to investigate as he thought it may have been the springs on the DMF (dual mass flywheel, just in case you didn't know. I didn't before this prob)

They ended up taking the gearbox out to have a proper look and found that it was a crack in the centre bearing of the DMF that was leaking grease onto one of the DMF and one of the clutch plates. Upshot was they replaced the whole lot, clutch, DMF and all assorted bits and pieces, under warranty so I was a very happy bunny and it's been fine ever since.

Guess I got lucky with a good tech but proves it can be done.

Good luck!

C Mitchell
28-08-2012, 09:30 PM
I bought a 3 year old A4 saloon tdi with 22k on the clock. When test driving the car I noticed clutch slippage. The dealer investigated it, replaced the clutch and DMF and happily bought the car knowing these parts had been replaced. however, first gear has always been stiff particularly when cold, which is a real pain in the freaking ar$e. Car has now done 26K and there is no improvement with first gear when cold. Any advice would be great.

markp306
29-08-2012, 10:23 PM
I had an issue with clutch judder. I mentioned it when my car, same as yours but saloon, went in for it's first service after I bought it used approved with 49k on it. The lead tech came out in the car with me and typically the judder was minimal. He said he could feel something though and agreed to investigate as he thought it may have been the springs on the DMF (dual mass flywheel, just in case you didn't know. I didn't before this prob)

They ended up taking the gearbox out to have a proper look and found that it was a crack in the centre bearing of the DMF that was leaking grease onto one of the DMF and one of the clutch plates. Upshot was they replaced the whole lot, clutch, DMF and all assorted bits and pieces, under warranty so I was a very happy bunny and it's been fine ever since.

Guess I got lucky with a good tech but proves it can be done.

Good luck!

Same here (143TDI at about 34,000 miles)

sportq
31-08-2012, 03:20 PM
My Dad's 2009 TDi Avant SE had the whole lot replaced by Audi at 109k for the same DMF issue.

jakerade
03-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Ask to take the mastertech out and demonstrate the judder when it is hot. Make sure you do the driving and he will feel it through the floor. I did this and got it replaced under warranty

Hope this helps!

Jake