PDA

View Full Version : a4 3.0l tdi tuning

mitmann
20-08-2012, 03:01 PM
I have just fitted a tuningkit box to my car. Easy diy installation, neat product, too early to say whether or not economy vastly improved. Do any other members have experience of this product?

AN AUDI FAN
22-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Have you fitted it purely for economy or performance as well?
How car does feel now?Any quicker?

mitmann
23-08-2012, 06:15 PM
It claims to give both-a 15% saving in diesel and an increase in power--but probably not at the same time! I have noticed the economy to be slightly better , but my journey to work is only 8 miles, so not the best test. Will be taking it to France soon, so I can report back after that.

Guest 2
23-08-2012, 06:26 PM
IMO don't bother with tuning boxes - most are a 10p resistor in a fancy housing.

Remap all the way and everytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eshrules
23-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Fitting a box that tricks your car into thinking it's cold and subsequently injecting more fuel than necessary is foolish, imho.

There's a reason a decent, properly tested remap costs in the region of £300.

Aptuning
23-08-2012, 07:19 PM
And As a forum member i can remap for £250 on this car.
Call me if you'd like to book in.

mitmann
23-08-2012, 08:13 PM
the housing isnt fancy and you can open it to adjust it, so i hope its not a 10p resistor! But i appreciate your comments and will see if a long trip on the continent reveals any fuel savings-if not ,i bow to your greater knowledge, mr A6 chris!

Eshrules
24-08-2012, 07:01 AM
I don't understand why people ask for advice and then either ignore it or respond with a ton of sarcasm.

People, experienced people that is, are trying to help you avoid (potentially) damaging your engine.

Guest 2
24-08-2012, 09:04 AM
the housing isnt fancy and you can open it to adjust it, so i hope its not a 10p resistor! But i appreciate your comments and will see if a long trip on the continent reveals any fuel savings-if not ,i bow to your greater knowledge, mr A6 chris!

Just my own opinion and gaining information from reading similar threads online.

I still believe a remap is better in the long run.

AN AUDI FAN
24-08-2012, 01:24 PM
My friend had one of those "Chips" fitted to his BMW 530D M-Sport (Still wandering why :confused:). Anyway after fitting it car became quicker but engine never run properly,after removing "Chip" air flow sensor failed almost immediately.He took car to main dealership where he found out that car had major problems with fueling system even before my mate bought it.
In the end he had to sell that car but never knew if problem was so-called "Chip" or fueling in previous ownership.
Personally I would go remap way as I don't believe that something "Universal" can suit every individual car but obviously everyone to his own.

turpal
24-08-2012, 07:15 PM
IMO don't bother with tuning boxes - most are a 10p resistor in a fancy housing.

Remap all the way and everytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A goof tuning box is about £500,cheap ones as Chris said 10p resistor so its a propper good remap for me all day long.Them tuning boxes cause damage to some engines too.

Aptuning
26-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Well as a remapper I don't want to get into a fight with anyone who sells under the bonnet tuning boxes but I have tried a few over the years on my OWN cars to see how they went in comparison to a remap and i would always go the remap route still even on my own cars.
It's each to their own on what they prefer.
Bear in mind that as well as there being cheap 10p resistor type boxes out there, there are also bad tuners who have purchased cheap ebay dvds or who are dealers for some not so good companies. Us forum vendors have to maintain higher standards than others as what we do gets plastered over the forum and ends up on various search engines.

mitmann
09-09-2012, 04:32 PM
well, back from doing a couple of thousand miles on the continent, and the tuning box was adjusted after a week.I did get better economy, and as there are multiple arrangements, I gradually turned it up each day and , as the economy improved , the perfomance decreased at about the same propoertion. As its an auto, this meant being longer in the gears, and a feeling of it being lethargic.However, when the accellerator was pushed, there was plenty of power, and in sport mode , seemed unaffected. Putting it into a performance mode, made it feel like a scalded cat, and very willing, but I only used one setting(there are several) as this was at the expense of fuel economy. Had a heavy load on the return journey(wine!),and on the motorway acheived 41.5 mpg cruising at around 80-85mph.

gupsterg
09-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Hi Mitmann, :)

I have been reading your thread for my own reasons, as I will soon be getting a remap from a tuner, my reasons are that I feel due to complexities of how newer engines work (amount I've now invested in getting car to good state) I would like someone to do like a custom remap to how my car is/can handle...

Not meaning to offend :) above is my opinion/what I gonna do...

I've had a few questions rattling in my mind:-

i) where did you buy tuning box??

ii) is it branded box??

iii) what was cost??

iv) is it insurance approved? have you told them?? if so how much difference to ins.yearly???

Thanks in advance...

ATB
Gup

mitmann
09-09-2012, 05:43 PM
gupsterg
I bought the tuning box direct from the makers.It is called TUNINGKIT (all one word) and comes from germany in a branded box. They have a help line, which I did have cause to ring, they have english speaking technicians who are helpful, and solved my problem. It cost around £94.00 depending on the euro exchange, and there are different models for different cars , at different costs! Some of the models are quite expensive. I dont know of any issues in the insurance dept., but the unit is easy to install, and remove if required(two plugs!)
regards