PDA

View Full Version : Question O/S Front Wheel Play

PCDoctor
19-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Dear all

Have play in the O/S front wheel when holding at the 3 and 9 o-clock position

When moving the wheel in your hand you can see the track rod move in and out where the other side is solid ...

The track rod end was replaced 3 months ago...

Is there a chance beyond the rubber boot there is a nut that needs tightining or does something need replacing

Thanks in advance

martin1810
19-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Sounds like you need a new track rod, it could be loose but I doubt it. Only way to check is remove track rod end and boot to look at track rod play.

PCDoctor
19-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Hi Martin

Nice to hear from you, i was thinking of unbolting the trackrod end from the front suspension leg and see if i can rotate it easyily without touching the locking nut, not i hope... might even give it a tug also

Does that make sense before i buy a new tie rod....

I Do remember he had to disassemble at the garage and use some heat to pri them apart...

caldirun
19-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Hi Martin

Nice to hear from you, i was thinking of unbolting the trackrod end from the front suspension leg and see if i can rotate it easyily without touching the locking nut, not i hope... might even give it a tug also

I Do remember he had to disassemble at the garage and use some heat to pri them apart...
The heat has traveled along the rod and screwed the joint on the rack, as I see it!

PCDoctor
19-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Hi Caldirun

You think i should just go for a new tie rod..

Not megga expensive for a new one... £30 for lemfoerder

And

Looks like a job i can do on the drive way

What do you think...

martin1810
20-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Hi Martin

Pop the track rod ball joint out. Hold the track rod tight and push/pull to test for play at the rack end. If you feel any play you need a new track rod or a new rack. Hopefully just a track rod. The ball socket on the end of the track rod is often plastic so heat is not a good idea near track rods.

PCDoctor
21-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Hi Guys

Had a good look this morning and it is definately not the track rod as i can see it pulling the rack also with no play to be seen in the track rod

So

I Can see the pinion running against the track rod and i have that feeling i need to adjust that 18mm nut under the rack and pinion

Besides being in a awkward position has anyone adjusted this nut

Is it the usual clockwise to move the rack closer to the pinion to remove the slack

Is it just the nut that needs turning slighlty or is it a locking nut and something else in the middle of that nut as there seems to be a plastic cover / insert

Going to make long 18mm spanner so i can get more torque on it but would like some advice first

martin1810
21-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Idealy you want two people. One to turn the nut and another to wiggle the wheel because you don't want to take up much play. If you do this too tight you will loose self centering and eventually destroy the rack.

PCDoctor
21-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Hi Martin

Shall do

Just looking at extra long 18mm spanner so i can do it through the wheel arch hole

If both wheels are off the ground with engine running should the steering wheel return to centre when taken to full lock ??

martin1810
21-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Not really because the self centering action partly relies on the wheels rolling along the road surface.

PCDoctor
22-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Hi All

Is the nut just a locking nut and in the centre is a allen key adjustment ??

This nut with a spanner is very tight to move and there is a plastic cover in the centre of the nut

If someone has a steering rack to hand and have alook would be great and very helpful...