PDA

View Full Version : What's best tyre choice???

DjDangy
15-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Hi newby here! I've had my 2009 B8 S Line Avant for just under a week now and love the car! The looks, the ICE and Tech inside it. But Ive also had a complete nightmare with how it's coasts along, in gear when cruising! The whole car feels like it judders front to back! :(
I checked the tyres and alloys straight away.. Tyres seem good and found 1 slightly bend front alloy (only slightly mind)
I took it back to the dealer I purchased it from today and he swapped the slightly bent and tyre from another S Line he had.. Still no better! We tried swapping the other front one, and noticed a small improvement. I then insisted we I try the 2 rear wheels off the red one as well. So glad we did it drives so much better, but still very slightly judders from 45mph down to 35mph :/ When coasting in gear.
Tomorrow I'm going to balance all 4 wheels and hope it completely stops the juddering.
I have read the other threads on here regarding similar problems, I wanted to know what you guys think the best tyres are for the B8?As it seems to be quite a sensitive car when it comes to juddering and vibrating problems...

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

DjDangy
19-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Oh ok cheers........

Brycie
19-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Have you tried looking at a few of the similar threads that appear below on this page? I only have experience of a few of the premium brand tyres & I'm not that sensitive to (or observant about) tyre noise, ride smoothness etc. I tend to just judge by grip. Some of the similar threads below may contain useful info though.

DjDangy
21-08-2012, 06:50 AM
Yes thanks I have read the other threads (as I have already said), but none seem to answer my question regarding best tyre options....

Brycie
21-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Ok, just trying to help in case you missed some posts. Good luck.

Guest 2
21-08-2012, 08:54 AM
From experience on 255/35/19's I found that Goodyears are pants (lasted 12k with 100% motorway driving) and the current Michelins are excellent (25k 50/50 town/motorway and still have 4mm tread on showing today evenly - that was a year and a half ago).

Maybe people aren't replying because you haven't stated the tyre size :)

Don't rule out Uniroyal - made by Michelin just a different name plastered on. Same quality and longness as a Michelin but about half the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DjDangy
21-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Cheers Chris nice on mate ;)

SunnyBard
25-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Don't rule out Uniroyal - made by Michelin just a different name plastered on.

Are you sure? I thought Uniroyal over here was owned by Conti, certainly the Conti-main stockist here sells Uniroyals too.

http://www.uniroyal-tyres.co.uk/generator/www/uk/en/uniroyal/automobile/funktions/03_imprint/impressum_en.html

Guest 2
25-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Are you sure? I thought Uniroyal over here was owned by Conti, certainly the Conti-main stockist here sells Uniroyals too.

Uniroyal (http://www.uniroyal-tyres.co.uk/generator/www/uk/en/uniroyal/automobile/funktions/03_imprint/impressum_en.html)

I was taking KwikFits word so assumed they are correct ;)

113brucey
25-08-2012, 07:11 PM
conti own uniroyal

Duncan Clarke
25-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Either way I'm happy with my Uniroyales. Undisclosed speed to 0 in under 2 seconds as my A6 nearly kissed a tractor. Nice to maintain control throughout as well.

SunnyBard
25-08-2012, 09:46 PM
I was taking KwikFits word so assumed they are correct ;)

I think Uniroyal in America is owned by Michelin, I had RainSport2 on my last car and had no qualms with them, still not decided what I'll go for when my P7s need replacing 26,000 miles so far but will need replacing before winter.

lozzermo
26-08-2012, 12:54 PM
This may sound silly, but how long had the car been sitting around before you drove it? Did you notice anything on the test drive? I drove a brand new car that had been sitting in the dealership for a few months and it juddered so much we had to stop to make sure the wheel bolts were done up! When we got back the technician said that the tyres may have flat spotted because it had been standing for so long. In any case, I doubt the tyre brand is the cause. Could be warped disks or perhaps geometry/alignment? Also, what were you driving before? The s-line suspension is very firm and you tend to feel every bump and groove in the road, especially if you are running on 19's. My wife hates it so I have to set my drive select to comfort when she's in the car.

Hammy969
27-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Hi

My old A4 had Dunlops on it, which were good and I got about 18.5K from the front and 36K for the rears. Both were replaced with Conti Spot Contact 3s. The front were due for a change when I changed to my new avant. They had covered a further 23K.

The contis were a reasonable proce against the Dunlops too. They were around £230. BTW they are 255 35 19"

B6Andy101
30-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Pirelli P Zero's have always resulted in a dull rumble on the rears from about 4mm. Now running Dunlop Sport Maxx - bit softer but has cured the rumble sub 4mm.

Splatrat
05-09-2012, 07:38 PM
if you move away from standard tyres i really like the vredestein ultrac sessanta really good tyres in the wet and the dry and also not too pricey which is always a bonus :)

Hammy969
08-09-2012, 04:43 PM
if you move away from standard tyres i really like the vredestein ultrac sessanta (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&catId=131090&item=140843272014) really good tyres in the wet and the dry and also not too pricey which is always a bonus :)

These get a reasonable write up on the RS forums, especially for winter use too.