PDA

View Full Version : Audi Q7 Tempomat NOT OK. (eight-speed) automatic speed control problem in a very small slopes

mikeltrujillo
14-08-2012, 01:02 AM
The Q7 (eight-speed) automatic speed control is a complete disaster.
In any small slope the car exceeds the speed excessively.
This video represents the performance of automatic speed control. I was scheduled 105km / h. why not switch from D8 to D7, D6,,,?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZEsTKXls7Y

The speed is much higher than the programmed; fuel consumption is 0L/Km and incomprehensibly does not change anything.
It is a serious problem that Audi does not want to solve

If your car has this behavior, make a complaint at:

service@audi.de

They will propose you to make it up with something, but do not give in, demands to solve the problem.
They just need to modify the automatic gear box software. And in the same way that it use automatically the gear box, when going up (needs more power), it must also use automatically the gear box when it goes down (need more engine braking).

Guest 2
14-08-2012, 08:38 AM
I'm lost? :confused:

I see now after reading again - the speed of the car increases when going down a hill with CC on, yes?

Haven't had my cruise control on in ages so might go out and try to see if it's similar.

gupsterg
14-08-2012, 01:52 PM
I know on mine Chris CC does stay at set speed regardless of amount of incline/decline, irrespective if CC is high or low speed setting...

I feel car give a little more throttle on uphill, but will not break set speed...

On down hill the car I think is braking or the engine is doing the braking, but will not break set speed...

Just for your info mikeltrujillo my vehicle is an A6...

mikeltrujillo
14-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Hello chris.
Right. CC is on (you can see the green symbol)
I don’t know what happens in others models.
The Q7 is very heavy and, just with the tempomat (CC), and because it steel in D8, the speed increase suddenly.

Hello gupsterg
This model does not use the brake. It is used by those with has an option to adjust the speed of traffic at that time ACC).
I am speaking just to the CC (tempomat). I want to maintain constant the speed, like the manufacturer said. (speed is kept constant in any upper 30Km/h)

The proposal is to automatically switch to D7, D6 ... (when the fuel consumption is 0L/km)
In the same road that de video was recorded, is possible to go at 105Km/h, in M6 (D6 for the car) and 0L/Km.

gupsterg
14-08-2012, 11:23 PM
Sorry about this mikeltrujillo....

Just spent a mo understanding your post method/language/issue...

So what I'm understanding is:-

i) Tempomat is Cruise Control which you are abbreviating to CC

ii) Dx is a gear in drive position on gearbox

iii) Mx is a gear in manual position on gearbox

The issue I understand is that when you set 105 KM/h i) will not maintain speed ii) is using a uneconomical/higher gear IYO

You have highlighted to Audi i) the issue of speed not being maintained in CC ii) gear used in CC iii) the safety/legality issue of car over speeding in CC mode

So you are posting i) to highlight issue ii) to get replies from Q7 owners and how their CC function (IMO)

All I can add further is that my A6 perform CC correctly even if in gearbox in i) manual mode ii) drive mode iii) sports mode regardless of speed set or incline/decline in surface...

So Audi should address your situation IMO... going by your post they are not...

mikeltrujillo
15-08-2012, 01:48 AM
Basically yes all questions.
This is not my problem; this is the problem of all Q7 users, at least in the 8 gear model

MFGF
15-08-2012, 04:35 AM
Depending on the year of your Q7, it may or may not use the brakes to slow your descent on hills when cruise control is engaged. My 2005 A6 did not have auto braking function when cruise was engaged (to keep the speed down). I was told this was because the throttle actuation was manual not electronic. My 2009 A6 and my current 2012 A6 both apply the brakes on steep descents to keep to the selected cruise control speed, but they have newer ECUs with electronic throttle control.

MF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mikeltrujillo
15-08-2012, 09:21 PM
The car was delivered to me in early April 2011. Only 16 months ago. The complaint was processed after two months of use. It took more than one year in discussions with Audi Germany and Costumer service (Spain). They don’t want to implement the software correction (switch to D7, D6 ...). Their final proposal is that I can back the car, and they returning to me its entire original amount. For me, this is not a solution. What about other users?

gupsterg
17-08-2012, 11:58 PM
A friend of mine has a Q7 2008 4.2 TDi ... I have asked him to check his car and let me know... he uses CC so less that he is not sure if his Q7 does what yours does...

As he is a busy self employed person I will try to see if by next Sunday can organise a time for him to swing by and do a video like yours to show test of CC and what result...

mikeltrujillo
18-08-2012, 03:05 PM
You can prove it in a easier way by setting a speed of 100 km/h. By setting a higher speed, for instance 140km/h, few slopes will make the car to increase its speed. By setting 100km/h , as the car will use gear D8, this speed will be increased even by a smooth slope.

gupsterg
18-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Thank you for this info... I & my mate at a convenient time will try this out...

I hope others can also test and post info... :beerchug:

mikeltrujillo
23-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Any News?

gupsterg
23-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Sorry I been busy :Blush2: with i) general stuff ii) my friend was away on holiday

Will chat to my mate and see what we can do... surprised no-one else come forward :dunno:

But as soon as done will post info, I will also do a VCDS scan of his car to get revisions of software on engine/gearbox...

mikeltrujillo
24-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Thank you gupsterg.
It is important to note that the car should not have the ACC option. With this extra option, the car brakes.
I want to encourage other users, to do the test to check if they are agreed.
If so, I think they should make it known manufacturer.
service@audi.de

mikeltrujillo
14-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Hi all users, primarily with 8-speed gearbox.
It seems that you like to be like Fernando Alonso, who nobody cares malfunctioning speed control ¡¡¡

gupsterg
14-10-2012, 10:03 PM
I am shocked no one reply... my mate is self employed like me... time can sometimes be an issue :sad6:.... if we don't work=no £££ but will try to make time with him... not forgotten this just been so snowed :Blush2:

mikeltrujillo
28-10-2012, 10:27 PM
I'll try to give an example to make clear what the behavior of the car, and which is the proposal to avoid the problem with the cruise control.
The car has no ACC option. This option uses the brakes automatically to "adapt speed."
We are talking about the "cruise control" (CC), which should "keep constant" the speed.
The problem is that , under certain conditions, it does not. This is a big problem in the models with a eight-speed gearbox .
Suppose we are driving through a road limited to 100km / h. We program a speed 100K / h in the tempomat . The car kept speed constant of 100km / h, even in strong upslope, as it will reduce automatically to D7, D6 ...
Suppose we approach a downslope, with a drop of 5%. At first the car is using the eighth-speed (D8) and begins to decrease fuel consumption and still keeping the speed of 100km / h. The downslope has a length of more than 400m.
The car still uses the eighth-speed (D8) and continues to decrease fuel consumption, and still keeping the speed of 100km / h. The car continues down the slope of 5%, decreases fuel consumption to a minimum (0L/Km) and, just in these moment, it still maintains the 100km / h. From there the car fails to maintain 100km / h, will soon reach 110Km /h, still consuming 0L/k and CONTINUES in the eighth-speed (D8). It hold this configuration and the speed continues increasing, 115km / h ... 120km / h ... 125km / h ...

What about 100km / h scheduled?

The proposal I make, is that the car, when exceeding the set speed, and consumption is 0L / K, should automatically change from D8 to D7. In this downslope (of 5%) still increasing the speed and the fuel consumption still in 0L / K, so it should automatically change to D6. On this downslope the car will need to switch to the D5 to maintain speed below 105Km/h and remain with fuel consumption in 0L/Km. Thus, not increase the set speed dangerously, it continue the fuel consumption in 0L/Km, and it will recharge the battery (downslope, 0L/K and D5).
What is the problem?
Why Audi does not solve this failure?

Guest 2
28-10-2012, 10:30 PM
That's a characteristic of cruise - it won't keep the set speed going down a hill

mikeltrujillo
04-11-2012, 12:57 AM
This cruise control feature in the Q7 is worse than any other cheaper car. This car is very heavy, and keeping the gearbox in D8, is a complete disaster. A slope as low as of 3%, is sufficient for the cruise control malfunction.
If it used the automatic gearbox, as I am suggest to Audi, the problem would disappear.
Make a test, and you will see the improvement.

mikeltrujillo
02-12-2012, 09:47 PM
excuses to malfunction:

…it was first fitted in the middle of the last century
the user manual
the options,
the downhills,
the others models,
only controls the engine throttle/fuelling,
the competitors,
the weightof the car,
and flying birds.

And I think they forget tow more very important: downwind and passengers on board.

¡If you imagined what we’re not receiving because we are not asking it, you would surely change your behaviour!