PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a remap and a decent Mechanic in Manchester

A6-TDI-Guy
13-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Hi Guys

Totally new here and new to Audi. Been a 320D company car driver for years but have loved the idea of an A6 for a couple of years now. Finally found one with the spec I wanted at the right price so thought sod it and bit the bullet.

So I am now the proud owner of a beautiful 2006 A6 2.0 TDI SE. She's done a few miles (~170K) but I'm pretty confident these engines are good for at least 300K if not 500K if looked after right.

so I am looking for feedback on whether its worth remapping my 'old girl' or if she is just past it? I'd like to get feedback from you guys who've actually done it out there and also know what your experiences were. I'm not obsessed with getting the absolute biggest BHP gains as its not often I'd drive her that hard but the extra economy is probably equally as important for normal everyday driving. I'm in Manchester if anyone can recommend someone nearby, all the better.

Finally can anyone recommend a decent Mechanic (not a main dealer - too expensive) in or near Manchester (East) who could give her a general look over, took her on the motorway on the way home and there was a mild "knocking" (not sure if this is the best terminology) I only noticed at speed (70-80). I'm not mechanically minded but I would guess its perhaps timing or misfiring but what do I know. I just want to make sure I havent bought a lemon with an engine thats gonna blow next week!

Thanks in advance for all your help

JimC64
13-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Hey there and congrats on the car.

I have the same car and had it remapped from 140 - 176bhp and it makes a world of difference. As you probably know there's a really bad lag and its underpowered in 1st gear, dangerously so if pulling out from a junction and need a quick exit.

I'd say make sure she's in great shape before you do anything, well serviced and looked after etc before you consider this.

I had mine done from day 1 and got it done by Audi ( around £800 iirc ) but I wanted to preserve the warranty.

I reckon you could get it done for around the £300 mark and there's lots of reputable remappers around. just shop around and make sure you're happy with them before you proceed.

A remap helps to transform the car's performance.

TDiBoraSam
20-08-2012, 12:32 PM
...and then wait for the turbo to blow and clutch to break post remap, especially with a high mileage car.

squowse
28-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Hi, am thinking of a remap and found your thread. Let me know how it goes, my 07 passat may have the same engine - BKP?
It has the symptoms described in post #2, it's a bit slow to get going in 1st and 2nd till it gets to about 2000rpm. I thought I was going to stall it at first, but now I put my foot down hard and then let it off as it boosts. My 98 non PD passat TDI was so much easier to drive and much more economical if the fuel computers are to be believed.

I have been going to Sale VW Audi for about 9 years. The owner is very knowledgeable and honest. They are also very economical in my view. Worth the trip.