PDA

View Full Version : Crackling/buzzing noise from steering wheel ?

shuggy2005
13-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Firstly, Warm welcome to everyone.

I have recently acquired a 2004 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro (80k on the clock) and I am pleased with the purchase. I do have some niggling issues I was wondering if I could get some help for though.

The main issue I am looking to tackle, is that when the car is switched on, and driven a little bit, I get a buzzing or crackling noise coming from the centre of the steering wheel. At first I though it might be electrical noise, like an electric current, however it only occurs when the engine starts up. This started appearing 2 days ago, and now the Air Bag light is constantly on - so i'm thinking this may be linked ?

My other issue is I believe with the engine speed sensor/ crankshaft sensor where I have a replacement on order so hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Your help is much appreciated,

Regards,

S

RuslanA4
13-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Get the error codes read first. There's a good deal of electronic bits around steering wheel, so I would consider any buzzing/crackling noses to be an electric issue. And you mentioned an airbag light is on, not good. I wouldn't drive the car with symptoms you have described

shuggy2005
14-08-2012, 04:33 PM
It's going into a garage on Friday so hopefully get it fixed.

On a side note - when it comes to replacing parts, is it best to use Bosch as they are the original suppliers of VAG. Or would it maybe be worth while getting an aftermarket product ? Apart from the obvious cost difference, is there a different when it comes to sensors,cables, pipes etc ?