PDA

View Full Version : Limp mode

westfield1962
13-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Hi, just though I would share the experience I had recently,my 04 Passat 1.9 TDI 130 Auto went into limp mode with n warnings on the dash, as I could not pull in I decided to limp home and check it out, on the way the emission warning and engine warning sign came on. I checked for the obvious hose off or vacuume leak but could not see anything, so I plugged in my code reader and a P0299 turbo under boost code was stored, so again checked a few things and found nothing, so I decided to clear the code, started the car and he presto fixed everything ok and driving perfect since. Has anybody been so lucky or is this a remedy for this problem, any comments would be appreciated.

simonrk57
13-08-2012, 11:51 AM
I am going through this now with my 170 Sline..

I havent had those warning lights but I have had the Glow Plug flashing light... Now, just randomly loses power beneath 3000 revs, then whoooosh... we are off again..

Underboost would dictate a split vacuum hose to me.. but I am new to TDi's. Used to Petrol Turbos.

martin1810
13-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Hi, just though I would share the experience I had recently,my 04 Passat 1.9 TDI 130 Auto went into limp mode with n warnings on the dash, as I could not pull in I decided to limp home and check it out, on the way the emission warning and engine warning sign came on. I checked for the obvious hose off or vacuume leak but could not see anything, so I plugged in my code reader and a P0299 turbo under boost code was stored, so again checked a few things and found nothing, so I decided to clear the code, started the car and he presto fixed everything ok and driving perfect since. Has anybody been so lucky or is this a remedy for this problem, any comments would be appreciated.

That's normal. Ignition off and on resets limp mode for boost. Next time boost is odd, you will go into limp again until you fix the fault.

westfield1962
13-08-2012, 02:42 PM
No, switching on off ing did not reset, I had tried this but it stayed in limp mode untill I cleared the fault with the reader.

simonrk57
13-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Must have been a hard code (I think thats what they are called).. I.e. stores until you delete rather then clears itself..

Mine is far more intermittent than that.. Its a pain in the arris though.