PDA

View Full Version : Offset seating position...... back ache?

dvg
13-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Ok guys, just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem to me to see if it could be the car!

I picked up a 2012 A4 a few weeks back and pretty much since then I've been getting back ache, particularly badly over this weekend when I was driving a lot. I'm only 24 and fit and healthy so would hope there is nothing 'wrong' with my back and have never had back problems before.

What I have noticed is that the A4 has an offset driving position compared to my previous car, a BMW, and was thinking this may be the cause of my problem. I am going to have to fiddle round with the seating position/lumbar support to see if I can get my position any better and cure it.

If anyone has had this problem how did they cure it!?

Thanks,

dvg

Guest 2
13-08-2012, 01:37 PM
I noticed that the pedals are offset compared to my A3 and A6 in the various A4's and A5's I've drove.

rizo9
13-08-2012, 10:01 PM
i always find that it takes a few miles to get the seat in the right position

YawnGumbo
13-08-2012, 10:13 PM
My back has never been the same since a bad seating position in my Focus, 10 years ago. So when I got my 2012 A4 I started getting the same problems. However I now seem to have found a comfortable position by putting the seat up to it's highest setting, then gradually moving it down one notch at a time until I found a comfortable position. It's not very scientific, but I can now drive for hours without any back pain. I think you soon get used to the offset peddles and after a while don't notice them.

gregpot2000
15-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Hi There

I'm 24 as well, and have never had backache lol

I have seen many posts about the strange offset and the pedals not being lined up right, but I can honestly say I have never noticed it! although what I did notice at first was how close the foot rest is to the clutch pedal! I could barely use the clutch at first as my foot kept getting caught! I got used to it after about a week though and don't notice it now.

dvg
15-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Hi There

I'm 24 as well, and have never had backache lol

I have seen many posts about the strange offset and the pedals not being lined up right, but I can honestly say I have never noticed it! although what I did notice at first was how close the foot rest is to the clutch pedal! I could barely use the clutch at first as my foot kept getting caught! I got used to it after about a week though and don't notice it now.

Funny you say that, I had the same problem for the first few days. Especially when I wore Chelsea boots!

Have fiddled with the seating and it seems better. Have adopted a less sporty seating position and in place a slightly raised one. Will keep adjusting till it's perfect, then the gf will drive the car and I'll be back to square. Damn being too tight to get memory seats!

Thanks,

dvg

jakerade
03-09-2012, 11:28 AM
biggest problem i have found is that its messing up my ankle from the offset throttle position. If you look through the middle of the steering wheel (which is offset as well), the clutch pedal is in the middle. Bonkers design.

I think it is also why the outside of the seat is worn more than the inside.

I discovered that the new Bentley Continental is also on the same platform as the A4 (MLB is shared with new A6, A7, A8, Porsche Macan) so I wonder if they have the same issues. I guess if you have a chauffeur its not your problem

mcmoody
03-09-2012, 04:34 PM
I'm 24 also and get back ache in my TT. Any Journeys over 10/15 miles or so and I can feel it. I now have the back rest up pretty much as far as it will go. Not very sporty as you say but most comfortable. I'll be picking my A4 later this week so I hope I don't suffer too badly.

Splatrat
05-09-2012, 07:36 PM
i have a b8 and the seats over a long journey kill my back :( i regularly drive 200+ miles down to devon and really feel it when i get there :( maybe i'll have to use a pillow lol

theblacksurge
12-09-2012, 11:42 PM
I've had my A4 two years now and have suffered with this right from the start, always get lower back pain and after a long journey I can hardly walk. I've spent hours messing with the seat but never cured the problem. Like others I have never had any back issues.

The reason for the offset position is that the A4 was designed on a left hand drive basis. On the LHD model the transmission tunnel reaches out into the passenger side leaving ample space on the drivers side.
So when they switched everything over to RHD the tunnel got in the way, there wasn't enough room for the pedals except in an offset position. Take a look and you'll see what I mean.
It's a similar story with the lighting switch unit. A LHD version was fitted on RHD cars, had they simply created a mirror version for RHD I would be able to see if the fog lamps are on or off, as it the illumination is obscured by the steering wheel.

jakerade
16-09-2012, 10:42 AM
I have come to the conclusion that the pedals are also too low especially if you have size 10/11 feet. I can get myself comfortable but then the brake/clutch pedals are in the middle of my shoes so you are driving with the middle of your foot and not your toes. Likewise with the accelerator.

I was thinking I might try some after market pedal plates?

Hillbeley
18-09-2012, 06:55 PM
I cured my bad back, I bought a 5 Series.
Seriously, though I put it down to the lack of lumbar support. I did 126K in 3 years, mostly on cruise in an M8 Auto, I suffered with a bad back ( RHS, low above the hip) it used to wake me at night.
I paid for lumbar on the BMW and I had almost forgotten the problem.
BUT... I didn't pay for the active suspension, and the Audi was definitely a better drive, even in SE guise, I should have gone for the Black Line Quattro..............

turpal
18-09-2012, 07:41 PM
I can`t believe Audi out of all made such a mistake.Allways been my favorite make for 20 years now since we had Audi 100 back then.

dvg
19-09-2012, 10:22 AM
It is pretty disappointing from a top end manufacturer to make such a compromise that results in an uncomfortable seating position for a large number of customers. It seems as if other people experience the exact sort of pain I've had, lower back on the RHS.

I have found by consciously sitting in a 'twisted' position I can avoid the pain for a bit longer. Fortunately I rarely have to do long journeys, if this was the case I would have to seriously consider changing the car at great cost. It is certainely something that I will look out for in the next car I buy and really hope it doesn't mean a departure from Audi as I chose the car as I wanted to stay with them for a while. I have the lumbar support on mine and have set it so it's pretty supportive as well.