PDA

View Full Version : Oh no not Speakers

TheMadhatter
10-08-2007, 12:17 AM
The woofer in the passenger door of my tdi sport has stopped working. I Know the size of speaker and which adapter I need.

Was just wondering if anyone here has replaced thier and which after market ones they would recomend.

I was quite pleased with the original speakers until this point and did not really want to change them, am hoping its just wirring but will get new ones anyway as I don't want to have to take the door trim off more than I have to.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Col
10-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Personal choice really.

I stuck some jbl componets in mine as I had exactly the same issue. If you don't fancy a bit of plastic butchery don't consider components as the tweeter is a bit of a fiddle retro fitting into the wing mirror cowl.

new to vw
10-08-2007, 08:00 PM
hi there bud....the speaker's are 16.5cm-17cm.....if you are putting in after market speakers you will need to get some adapters.......also you will need to drill the speaker out as it is riveted in........they are not hard to do as i have replaced all four in my passat with 16.5cm JBL'S...
hope this help's
lee:D:D

TheMadhatter
10-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Was thinking of componets and just leaving the factory fit tweeters in, did this on my octavia. So JBL still ok then was looking at some blaupunkt one's er http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/spkr2_0.asp any issues with leaving in the factory tweeter and just using the woofer part of new speakers ? or will the adapter cables not work like this ? do I have to use the crossover provided with the components ?

bobmac892
22-08-2007, 12:30 PM
I stuck Infinity 17cm speakers all round. Had to use Autoleads adapters supplied buy Halfords which included speaker cable adapters for the car plug to ordinary speaker spade connector and mainatained the connections to the tweeters. These were about £10 a pair.

As described above drill out the old speakers which are riveted in, try and rcover all the bits of rivet though or you could be left with an annoying rattle in the door. Then fix the adapters in place using the self tapping screws and square nuts. You'll probably find these in the speaker box. Then you need to get more self tappers to fix the speaker to the adater. Secure firmly and re attach you door.

TheMadhatter
22-08-2007, 03:31 PM
I went for the bluapunkt ones as there was no seperate cross over so with the autoleads adapter there was no need to modify the factory wiring. I did have a little fun with the bellows like ruber seal thing and the adapters, ended up fitting them over the adapter and then back into door trim. Now thinkng of two small low range speakers in the back doors running of an amp. had this sort of thing in mind. http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/dynamics-sd61-p-5520.html?cadid=f74cf4e89ab9ed72cfe3227311677296