PDA

View Full Version : A3 2.0 TDI (140BHP) Fuel Consumption

chyatt
09-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Hi All,

I'm new on here and hopefully about to purchase myself an 04 plate 2.0 TDi 3 door A3 tomorrow if the dealer will give me a bit more off the price.

I know this has probably been covered widely, and I have searched already, however results seam to vary.

The car I am looking at is a manual, and people seam to get anything from 39-55 MPG.

I am coming from a 54 plate 1.8T 180BHP Ibiza Cupra which averages about 28MPG.

Due to increasing business miles, wanting something a bit comfier and generally growing up, I fancy a change for something a bit more economical.

If any of you would kindly spare a couple of minutes to tell me about your ownership experiences it would be much appreciated.

What do you guys average as MPG?

Many Thanks,

Chris

prolfe
10-08-2007, 09:08 AM
I have a 170bhp version of the 2.0 so you could considor my average mgp as a worse case:

42mpg since 1st feb, 14000 miles

Some days I can get well into the 50's and some as low as 36. I cover loads of motorway miles, but because they are mostly stop start the mpg is not that good.

The 140 then should be quite a few better than that. looking at whatcar's website, the 140 is 3mpg better in urban at 39.2mpg and the same out of town at 61.4 (how on earth do they get that?) and 2.7mpg better at 51.4 combined.

erisaman
10-08-2007, 07:40 PM
I picked up my 'new' (to me) 55 plate 2.0TDi, 140bhp Sport with DSG, today. The car has covered 20k plus - and the average consumption was recorded as 45.6 on the long term computer.

Driving it the 40 miles to my home, partial motorway, partial stop start town driving, plus some country lanes - the short term computer climbed to 46.8 by the time I arrived.

I reckon that more motorway miles, even cruising at 70 + should bring me to 47/48 average. Don't forget - average is just that - the balance between ideal and lousy driving conditions/situations.

smiglyy
11-08-2007, 08:01 AM
hi buddy also fairly new to this forum i have a 2004 2.0tdi sport i get roughly the same as the other guys and find the car very comfortable highly recommend but to be honest i still fancy the rs4 i will have to wait

GezT
13-08-2007, 01:25 PM
I've got a new 2.0 TDI 140 and on a very gentle 150 mile motorway run at speed limit (not above, nor below!) managed 51.3mpg average (including traffic at both ends). That was very careful driving so I can't see how you can better than that (unless it loosens up). Round town economy seems pretty good.

There again I've found the car to be completely gutless (or should that be 'torque-less', see post elsewhere, but hopefully going back to garage shortly to see what is wrong with it) so it ought to be fuel efficient!!!

G

Trev McM
13-08-2007, 04:53 PM
I've got a new 2.0 TDI 140 and on a very gentle 150 mile motorway run at speed limit (not above, nor below!) managed 51.3mpg average (including traffic at both ends). That was very careful driving so I can't see how you can better than that (unless it loosens up). Round town economy seems pretty good.

There again I've found the car to be completely gutless (or should that be 'torque-less', see post elsewhere, but hopefully going back to garage shortly to see what is wrong with it) so it ought to be fuel efficient!!!

G

A new car is most inefficient - You should be grateful you get 51 mpg. When run-in you'll be amazed at what economy or performance a 140 has!!

The piston rings valves, bearings etc aren't yet bedded-in hence the reason why you find it so gutless, IMHO

Trev McM

GezT
14-08-2007, 06:35 AM
I promise to not go on about performance anymore until car has run in!! I have to admit that to get 51mpg I had to drive extremely gently! If you had all the time in the world then driving at 60mph you get some stunning economy figures coming up on the computer!

engineermk
16-08-2007, 04:22 PM
We have two A3's, a 140BHP TDI and 2.0T FSI Quattro... the TDI is always at or above 45mpg average, the quattro 25mpg average.

The quattro is faster, has bags more "grip" and more fun, but the TDI is nearly as good and more econimical too.

moffatcam
03-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Hi

I've had a A3 2.0TDI 140 BHP 3 door Sport as a company car since Sept2004. It has now covered approx 103000 miles. It averages an overall figure of about 50 MPG. I have however noticed that the economy drops off when the Outside Air Temperature drops below 5DegC.

I noticed this was the case with my previous car (Golf GT TDI115PD). I read somewhere that partially blocking off the Intercooler in Winter Time helps the fuel economy as the Charge air going into the Engine is too cold at this time of year. I've never tried this myself so can't say if this works or not.

Regards

cmcb a3
10-02-2008, 10:34 PM
I know this isnt quite related but i have a 2001 a3 1.8 non turbo petrol and trying to drive efiiciently on my mixed motorway and through town trip to uni i average around 34mpg while having a bit of fun on the same runs it only drops by 2mpg.

So the moral of the story is, if you want economy, buy a blue motion polo and get 88mpg (yes 88mpg) if you want a bit of fun, stop watching the fuel consumption as much. Everyone agrees that driving at 50mph everyhere is boring!