PDA

View Full Version : New Audi Owner Air con not blowing cold

vallumlj
10-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Hi I have just bought a 2.4 cab on a 54 plate and everything seems to be great so far apart from the air con it turns on and seems to work ok apart fom it's warm and will not go cold. Do I just need to get it re gassed or could it be something different how can I check?

Thanks for any help

sam.bird3
10-08-2012, 06:42 PM
More than likely needs regassing. Some places do a regass and offer a 10% difference garrantee, if it isn't colder then you do not pay!!!! Does it get Hot? that's when you get problems, if it doesn't get Hot as that could be a sign of a water pump failure.

kite
10-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Does the econ light go out?

follow me on twitter...kiteaudi...

vallumlj
10-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Sorry what do you mean does the econ light go out when?

It does go hot but when you put it on feet heater it's not really hot but I think it's right because if I put my leg up to the heater it burns a bit. How much is a re gass should I go to kwik fit / halfords.

Water pump was changed into 2010 and the person I brought the car off did say he got it regassed last year. Is there any test I can do or should I get it regassed first.
Thanks

kite
10-08-2012, 09:02 PM
On the air-conditioning control panel there is a button marked "econ", if the little light in the corner of the button is lit the air-conditioning compressor is not being driven.
Press the button, when the light is out the compressor is being driven.
The clutch on the front of the compressor engages/disengages as the controls demand.
Have you had the HVAC scanned for faults?

follow me on twitter...kiteaudi...

rabmurray9121
10-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Have you had the filter changed, are any of the pipes under the bonnet cold if so which one. I had the problem of the air con working but still only blowing warm air, it turns out that the system has a small filter in it. You can tell if the filter is at fault by whick pipe is getting cold.

vallumlj
10-08-2012, 10:16 PM
I pretty sure the light does goes out. I have only had the car a day where abouts is the filter and pipes for the air con. If I took it to somewhere to get it re gassed would they check this?

Thanks again

rabmurray9121
11-08-2012, 07:27 AM
This is the thread hear explaining the filter problem 2.5 tdi air con problems (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?72971-2-5-tdi-air-con-problems) the pipes are located RHS of engine near the front suspension mount. Its very easy to check, turn air con on leave it running and see which pipe gets cold if the thin pipe is cold then the filter needs changing. I hope this sloves your problem as it is cheap and easy to do, get the system needs to be drained, pipe work spilt filter change, rebuid pipe work, regass system should only cost about £60 for the whole job.

garyd989
11-08-2012, 08:28 AM
This is the thread hear explaining the filter problem 2.5 tdi air con problems (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?72971-2-5-tdi-air-con-problems) the pipes are located RHS of engine near the front suspension mount. Its very easy to check, turn air con on leave it running and see which pipe gets cold if the thin pipe is cold then the filter needs changing. I hope this sloves your problem as it is cheap and easy to do, get the system needs to be drained, pipe work spilt filter change, rebuid pipe work, regass system should only cost about £60 for the whole job.

You will be charged a MINIMUM of £120,a regas is £49 upwards and the labour to change the filter drier would be over an hour ,that apart any good aircon engineer will merely pull a deep vacuum on system after nitrogen leak testing and clear any moisture from said DRIER ( it removes moisture from system which freezes at point of expansion ,inside the car!!)if you have a persistant leak its very probably the condenser ,non of this is a DIY job ,leave it to us proffesionals

rabmurray9121
11-08-2012, 08:41 AM
I only paid 70 Euros for this job in Germany from Bosch service. I didnt realise that air con work in the UK was so expensive. As above this job needs to be done by the professionalsits not a DIY job.

vallumlj
11-08-2012, 10:51 AM
All sorted just needed to be re gassd it cost £49 from Sts Tyre pro. It was in the 20's when I went in and down to 8C when I left.

Thanks for the all the help