PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump on 1.8T quattro suddenly died

rhencullen1989
06-08-2012, 10:49 PM
As title, were holidaying in the lakes last week all the way from somerset, took out RAC cover just before we left, just in case..........what with a 5 month old and young daughter in the car. On the 2nd day, just parking up in windermere and the engine just dies, quickly work out the fuel pump is not priming on the ignition, checked fuse and thats ok.

Called out RAC who took nearly 2 hours even though i stated we had a baby in the car, who diagnosed a non working fuel pump, a quick tow to local garage and sort out a hire car (an astra diesel....yuk) 2 days later, a working car with new (audi) fuel pump and a £400 bill (ouch) although i Know the pumps are £228 + VAT, 2 hours labour was charged, although i am sure it is a quicker job than that.

So, has anyone else experienced a fuel pump suddenly die on them with no notice!! Just glad it did not break on the right hand lane of the M6 overtaking a line of artics!!!!!! now that would have been brown pants syndrome.

GoldieLoc
04-09-2012, 11:04 PM
I've had the same issue, the car would start but die straight away. Once I changed this, it was perfect again... I hope Im not too late responding, but the faulty fuel pump is a recall feature so Audi should replace this for free as they did mine, even though I bought the car privately! Apparently that and the ignition coils are recall packs for 1.8t 01-04 b6 engines...

Dave Gee
11-09-2012, 01:15 AM
I had a fuel-pump failure (having pulled into a trading estate), had to be towed 8 miles to home by AA.
A local repair man tacked the job, locating the pump in the bottom of the fuel tank (which I had just filled right to the top).
So first job was to empty tank of some 60 litres of fuel into a number of containers! This took a few hours.
Fuel pump then removed from bottom of empty tank, new one had to be ordered but the one delivered was wrong one and some days later the correct one arrived and was fitted.
I forget the cost but it was certainly in excess of £ 200, and the loss of use of car for a few days.
As you say this could likely have occured anywhere at the most inconvenient time and place, as I had been up in the Welsh mountains a few days earlier, with no phone at that time.

SAJ4D
11-09-2012, 11:27 AM
So, has anyone else experienced a fuel pump suddenly die on them with no notice!! Just glad it did not break on the right hand lane of the M6 overtaking a line of artics!!!!!! now that would have been brown pants syndrome.[/QUOTE]

not the fuel pump, but i was once on the M1 in my merc 190E trying to overtake a couple of lorries when my front driver side wheel including hub decided to disconnect itself from the car...turns out the mechanic who replaced the wheel bearing a few days before, had over tightened it causing the shaft to melt away from the hub. brown pants syndrome doesnt even come close...