PDA

View Full Version : golf mk5 audio upgrade

macc70
09-08-2007, 06:34 PM
I have a new golf mk5 and the first thing I need to change is the stereo
I have been told that the rear speakers even if they are in place might not be connected. I have noticed that the head unit does not provide a fade function so I have no control over the rear speakers in any case. What I want is a head unit with sony nw-hd5 compatibility and 4 good quality speakers in the doors. please point me in the right direction. :1zhelp:

Ben
09-08-2007, 08:38 PM
What is your current stereo in the golf? rcd300 or rcd500 Why would you want to upgrade?

macc70
11-08-2007, 12:19 AM
Thanks for your reply I want to use my sony nw-hd5 in the car and would like rear aswell as front speakers I am going to have to find out if there are any speakers installed or not I have a RCD300 installed

robbien
11-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Hi

Just done this on my 'S' spec 2005 TDi

There were no speakers or wiring for rear speakers which is why i gather (from other forums) there is no fade option (apparently it appears when you connect rear speakers)

I had some speakers (17" 2-way pioneers) and wiring installed for me as it didn't have time to do it myself.

I then installed a facia adapter to convert to single din (**tip** you get what you pay for - my £8 ebay item wasn't the best looking/fit)

Below links help with removing:

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/18010/170840.aspx#170840

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693

From there I then purchased a converter for the can-bus wiring and fakra to standard aerial (with signal booster which is required for mw/lw)

After this the only other issue is because the can-bus wiring there is no switched live so i ran a wire behind the steering column to the fuse box wired in an in-line fuse and then used a simple blade connector to slot into a free fuse way which i found to be a switched live.

There may be more expensive can-bus converters which actually do the switched live for you a bit like what is required for people who tow and have a car with can-bus rear light clusters. Someone else might have more info on this as i am unsure.

Once i had correct wiring i just slid in my sony mp3/bluetooth stereo.

If only VW weren't so tight with rear speakers and used standard wiring eh! - 5 min/£10 job turned into a marathon £160 job

Hope this helps