PDA

View Full Version : New A3 TDI 140 Start/Stop owner: newbie servicing/recall/tow bar questions

timmys
05-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Hi,

I bought a 2010 A3 Sportback TDI 140 Start/Stop S-line Black Edition a couple of weeks ago (loving it so far) and a have a couple of newbie questions;

- Do I need to worry about the injector recall? Is it only 170 engines? I'm happy to give audi a call but if it's definitely only 170 engines then I won't bother.

- It had it's first service at 18k, it's now at 28k and telling me 10k till the next service/oil change. Is it recommended to stick in an extra oil change between services? The car is going to be racking up quite a lot of miles (commute is unfortunately 65 motorway miles each way at the mo).

- Slightly longer shot, but if anyone has experience of fitting a detachable tow bar (for use with a cycle carrier) on a s-line black edition and know what the easiest strategy with regards the rear bumper/valence is (ie. having it cut as part of fitting, or buying a replacement with a cut-out etc.). PF Jones seem to the big boys in the tow bar field so would be interested to hear of good or bad experiences with them.

Guest 2
05-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Welcome to VWAF

Your engine will be the CR (Common Rail) engine which isn't affected by the injectors and it will be fine.

10k is fine for oil changes - you only need to worry when on the longlife servicing as oil changes are 20k which isn't good for the engine (imo!)

PFJones are a sponsor on here - P.F.Jones (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?267-P-F-Jones) so a PM or message in their section may prove useful.

Enjoy the car and get some pics up!

timmys
05-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the info!

10k is fine for oil changes - you only need to worry when on the longlife servicing as oil changes are 20k which isn't good for the engine (imo!)

Maybe I wasn't clear, it had it's one and only (as far as I am aware) service and oil change at 18k and it is telling me the next one is due at about 38k (current mileage of 28k + "due in" 10k indicator). So it is heading for 20k between changes. I'm now at 10k since the last oil change so I should probably have one done?

Guest 2
05-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Yep get one now, I personally wouldn't want the same oil in the engine for 20k.

Audi do oil changes inc. oil and filter for £149.

timmys
05-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Yep get one now, I personally wouldn't want the same oil in the engine for 20k.

Audi do oil changes inc. oil and filter for £149.

OK, will get on to it.

Here's a pic;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34675823/Forum%20images/car.jpg

Guest 2
05-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Very nice!

I'm doing a bluetooth retrofit guide at the minute which will be posted tomorrow/Tuesday if you're looking to install bluetooth if it doesn't have it fitted.

mike77t5
06-08-2012, 01:32 AM
Hey timmys, I am also in the market for one of these a3 2.0 tdi with the stop start as they seem to be much better on fuel than the regular 2.0 tdi. I was just wondering what soft of average mpg you get as im doing 100 motorway miles 3 times a week so i need something good on fuel but also comfortable at high speed?

NHN
06-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Just be careful if planning fitting aftermarket systems like bigger wheels with start/stop/recup as it has caused issues with some A3's that affected the systems because changes in rolling circumference & no coding was available to change the module to support larger wheels, although this may have changed now, just an advisory.

As long as its not an S3 then there's a different valance that you can fit to gain the removable flap for the towbar, dont fit the swan neck ones as they look awful tbh, I have fitted detachable ones & they slide up nicely with flap cover not even noticeable tbh when all closed up.

timmys
26-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Hey timmys, I am also in the market for one of these a3 2.0 tdi with the stop start as they seem to be much better on fuel than the regular 2.0 tdi. I was just wondering what soft of average mpg you get as im doing 100 motorway miles 3 times a week so i need something good on fuel but also comfortable at high speed?

Sorry for the very slow reply - I'm averaging about 62 mpg. That's travelling from North London to outside Cambridge everyday; a bit of urban driving to get on to the M11 and then sticking the cruise control on 70. 62 mpg is what the DIS is telling me, I've noticed that calculating it from brimming the tank that the DIS is perhaps 4-5 mpg "optimistic" - I don't know if that's typical though?