PDA

View Full Version : Published consumption data / fuel economy: 2.0 tdi Quattro

keithinthesouth
04-08-2012, 06:54 PM
I drive an A5 coupe, (2.0 tdi quattro s-line black edition, in white - registered end 2010). My car delivers appalling MPG: 28 urban, 34 extra urban. I usually achieve 435 miles from a tank full of fuel. My vehicle has travelled c.18k miles and it seems to perform better and deliver better MPG in hot weather.

I have taken my vehicle to two dealerships and on both occasions dealers road tested it for a week and returned it, stating that it had no faults. Not being content I escalated my issue and contacted Audi UK. The Audi UK 'Centre of Excellence' got involved and after 5 weeks of road tests they returned my car...

In their wisdom and despite their prior pledge, the CoE decided to road test my car and do the same with a similar vehicle. Audi claimed that no faults were evident on my car, that they'd achieved 43 MPG and that they deemed this to be 'acceptable', despite brochure data implying that my vehicle 'could' deliver 56mpg combined.

Referring to the comparison tests of my vehicle versus a similar car, Martin Sander, Head of Audi UK wrote the following...

"Our tests were carried out in morning and evening rush hour traffic situations, adhering to maximum speed limits where traffic situations would allow. Both vehicles were driven courteously and avoiding wide open throttle. The test results show your vehicle returned an average fuel consumption figure of 43.87mpg and the comparison vehicle (driven in the same conditions and same manner by the same driver), returned an average consumption of 43.83mpg. Whilst it may be possible to get more or less mpg from the vehicles, depending on the conditions of use, both sets of figures are entirely in keeping with expectations from a 177PS vehicle with a Quattro drive train. Our comprehensive testing established that both vehicles achieved well within mpg tolerances, as set out by our manufacturer, Audi AG".

Also, in reply to a question why tests were not conducted in a garage environment, in an effort to replicate the Audi test procedure and to remove the 'driver's driving' influence' he wrote...

"Whilst fuel consumption tests are completed in a controlled laboratory environment at the Factory, replicate tests of this kind would not reflect actual on the road driving conditions, as recently carried out on your vehicle."

I am astonished by the results of the test. I am not only one who has driven my vehicle - everyone who does, passes comment on the poor economy that it delivers.
During the three road tests - one week at each of two dealers and five weeks with Audi's 'CoE' - my vehicle travelled over 2300 miles and visited a number of supermarkets and shopping centres. My tracking device revealed that my vehicle frequently broke the speed limit (at one point it was driven at 104mph) and was used by technicians to commute to / from work. When the vehicle was returned the on board computer indicated that they'd achieved 36 MPG (I appreciate that this can be callibrated though during the test Audi's CoE claimed that the onboard computer was near accurate).

My vehicle was returned with a mark on the bumper and fresh stone chips, though these were repaired FOC. I was also given cash compensation on a 'per mile' basis for the excessive mileage that was covered during the tests...though still I have a car that drinks like Oscar Wilde and fails, by a long way, to meet my expectations.

Okay, so I have an undetected issue with my car - and I would be keen to hear from anyone else who has a similar vehicle - though here's the bigger issue. If the published consumption data is not a true reflection of realistic achievable performance / economy, given that dealers display this data at the point of purchase (it is usually displayed on the windscreen of vehicles that are for sale) is this a blatant attempt to misrepresent the consumer??

I realise that this an industry-wide issue, but why aren’t vehicle manufacturers forced to back-up their performance claims??

To quote Oscar Wilde, "The secret of life is to appreciate the pleasure of being terribly terribly deceived"