PDA

View Full Version : Hi Im new and my '89 20v coupe quattro is immobilised!

lizard
09-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Hi Everyone,
I know its not great for people to only join a forum when they need help but im not a bad person honest.... i am not completely useless with electro/mech stuff, im a development engineer but i am a bit worried about this one. this car is cleverer than my old bug.

Over the last few weeks i have had the odd hot restart problem if the car has been left standing for more than 10 mins once fully warmed up. not sure if this is related but may be a clue. over the last few days i have heard a lot of 'relay click' type noises from under the dash and sometimes the doors have been locked when i arrive at my destination. the car has an alarm called a 'quantum' which I dont have a key or remote for and has one of the plugs pulled out. there is also a quantum device near the relay board which seems to be a central locking interface. Are these factory alarms? Anyway now the car wont start and i cant even get the fuel pump to come on. the fuel pump is (i have found out) not in the same place as the 80 coupe manual says it is so i guess it may be in the tank?

can anyone tell me hoe to get to the pump wiring contacts and where to find the fuel pump relay? the maps for fusebox and relay location dont look like they belong to my car. my car is stuck at work so any info would be very gratefully received.

thanks,

jon.

scotty33
09-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Hi Jon,

I'm not sure the alarm would come from the factory at that time, maybe a dealer fit option? Bear in mind, it's 18 years old, and strip it it out. I did this with mine, I've had 2 year old immobilisers leave me stranded!
The fuel pump is in the tank on coupe's, and the relay for it is in position 10 (in the fusebox/relay plate) 4DO 951 253.
You can jumper the fuel pump at the relay socket. The 12v supply and the pump feed are usually the 2 biggest pins, I guess the alarm will be immobilising ignition too?
Good luck with it

Andrew

lizard
11-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks Andrew,

I am the king of stupid. By the time i read your message i had already lifted out the boot floor, dragged the battery round and tested the pumpfrom close up, then tested the wiring by jumping the fuel pump relay, stared at it for ages and decided that i could remove the whole alarm if i was careful and then.............. noticed that the alarm had come partly unplugged. popped the plug back in and away it went. and no more doors locking mid journey.

thanks very much for your help!

jon.