PDA

View Full Version : bad break switch symtoms a3 2.0tdi

lance h
31-07-2012, 07:18 PM
ihave an audi a3 2004 tdi the brake switch is bad and also the accerator pedle in non workin does anybody know if a bad brake switch can cause this im reading that audi have a brake override system stop the accelertor working when the brakes are pressed also the brake lights are on all the time so i have had to disconect the plug any ideas appreachated

zollaf
31-07-2012, 07:29 PM
if your brake lights are on all the time but go off when you disconnect the switch then i would suspect the switch is faulty and putting your brake lights on all the time ,which will also disable your throttle as you dont need to accelerate and brake at the same time. so i would fit a new switch and that should sort the problem out .it will be the contacts inside the switch stuck together and allowing electric to flow through it all the time rather than just when you press the pedal so the car thinks you are braking, because it relies on this switch to tell the ecu when you apply the brakes and it can cut the throttle. this happens on most modern cars, when you press the brake you cant also accelerate. this is no good for rally drivers who do a lot of left foot braking where you brake and accelerate at the same time to get round corners quickly. a new switch is available from a dealer or factors.the dealer genuine one will be more reliable than an aftermarket one though you pays you money and takes your choice.

lance h
31-07-2012, 08:15 PM
cheers for that buddy this is exactly what i was thinking the only thing that made me think otherwise is my misis as a 58 1.9td a3 and this does not cut the power of when presing the brake and acceloerator at the same time but i read not all cars have this feature cheers buddy

zollaf
31-07-2012, 08:32 PM
do her brake light work ?

lance h
31-07-2012, 08:48 PM
yeh when the brake switch is conected ther on even when the car is tuned of, when it is nt conected when the car is on the lights are on think i jjust need a new swich and then maybe all will be ok

Crasher
31-07-2012, 09:04 PM
At around £10 I think you should fit a new brake light switch and see what happens.

lance h
06-08-2012, 10:27 PM
hi guys just to let you all know its good news new brake switch and the car is running naw as it should and at only 12 pound was a cheap fix