PDA

View Full Version : very slow

pete99
31-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Is it only me who has problems with pages loading very very very slow ?.
Everything else on my pc is quick-- except audi forum . It takes the enjoyment away from it .
All other forums I use are fast -- but lately- audi forum is not so.
please help.
regards,
Pete

Sam
31-07-2012, 03:09 PM
From looking at your access details you may have some malware on your PC

In your user agent details is something called FunWebProducts (see here for more info - TNET Services, Inc.: FunWebProducts Spyware (http://www.tnet.com/services/xolder/funwebproducts) and the official word from them http://help.funwebproducts.com/webmaster.html which smells a little fishy to me)

Please do a complete virus scan of your PC and see if it turns anything up.

pete99
31-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Thank you for superfast reply.
Yesterday I did a full scan with microsoft essentials- and also same scan was done on auto on sunday. All clear .
Not being a pc geek- I am confused.
regards,
Pete

ps- could it be something on my 'MRs' 'thingy' ? she uses my pc .

Sam
31-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Thank you for superfast reply.
Yesterday I did a full scan with microsoft essentials- and also same scan was done on auto on sunday. All clear .
Not being a pc geek- I am confused.
regards,
Pete

ps- could it be something on my 'MRs' 'thingy' ? she uses my pc .

Smiley Central is the biggest culprit, usually 'obtained' from misclicking a shiny advert on MSN.

If your a/v scans are all clear then we're halfway there. As it's strictly classed as malware/adware it may not be picked up by a/v programs.

So!

I highly recommend Malwarebytes. Download the free version from here click me (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html) (select the first link under the http://forums.majorgeeks.com/chaslang/images/MGDownloadLoc.gif image)

Once downloaded, run the program, allow it to update to the latest malware database and then select Perform Quick Scan and click Scan.

If it turns up nothing, we're good and we'll move on to possible issues on our side.

tony-1977
31-07-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm having silimar issues here. This site seems slow. All other sites / forums I use are fast, and the pc in general is fast too. Anti virus and anti-malware scans all show clear. :(

Sam
31-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks Tony, am I right in saying you're using 64bit W7 and IE8 over Virgin cable?

...and to be even more nerdy, your PC has an AMD CPU :D

pete99
31-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Thank you Sam but I'm sorry- the link you sent throws up all sorts of things.
What I cant figure out is- WHY is it ''only' on audi forum- that I have this problem ?.

Sam
31-07-2012, 04:44 PM
See the attached image for what to click (click it to make it larger)

As for why it's only here, I think I know, but I'd prefer to rule out all external influences first.

pete99
31-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Well- the sooner sorted the better . I use virgin also. Dunno if that makes any difference ?.

Would be interesting to know if anyone else uses Virgin- has problems too . (ps- not blaming Virgin) .
Some really sick/lonely people about on the net - who spoil it for others I guess.

tony-1977
31-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks Tony, am I right in saying you're using 64bit W7 and IE8 over Virgin cable?

...and to be even more nerdy, your PC has an AMD CPU :D

Spot on! :D

Sam
31-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Thanks chaps, I'll report back as soon as I can.

pete99
06-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks chaps, I'll report back as soon as I can.

Hi Sam,
Any progress regarding this problem ?.
Still mega slow- whether or not I'm logged in on forum or not.
Everything else on my pc is fast .

tony-1977
06-08-2012, 04:59 PM
As above here too ^^

---Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Sam
07-08-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm on holiday at the moment, but we are working on it, sorry for the inconvenience.

pete99
11-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Hey Sam ,
Has something changed ? All of a sudden -things are a lot better - speed wise.
How about you Tony ? Any better ?.

Guest 2
11-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Nothing has been changed (as far as i know) and I didn't experience this new slowness so can't comment on causes.

stuart
11-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Nothing changed at all....

tony-1977
11-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Hey Sam ,
Has something changed ? All of a sudden -things are a lot better - speed wise.
How about you Tony ? Any better ?.

Still a little slower than the other forums I use.

Works fine on TapaTalk on my iPhone, just slow on this laptop (and my other PC as well)

Brycie
12-08-2012, 12:44 AM
As you guys know I've had problems with the speed of threads loading since the upgrade but in the last day it's been almost back to normal speed. Still a very slight delay, but much much better. I guess it'll remain a mystery. I wonder if Martin would notice an improvement on IE8 too.

MFGF
12-08-2012, 03:11 AM
I will check what response is like on IE8 my laptop when I'm back in the UK. I'm optimistic from what folks here are reporting!

MF.

Snet form my fumblefingers
iPhon 5 usig Tapatalk

stuart
12-08-2012, 07:59 AM
I have done nothing on the site side of things, unless there was an ongoing network issue that has now been resolved?

If, as the reports suggest it has improved, I may re-enable the adverts which we though may be causing the issue, to see if they were, in fact part of the issue ;)

tony-1977
12-08-2012, 08:24 AM
I will check what response is like on IE8 my laptop when I'm back in the UK. I'm optimistic from what folks here are reporting!

MF.

Snet form my fumblefingers
iPhon 5 usig Tapatalk

I've used IE8 all along..... :)

MFGF
12-08-2012, 04:48 PM
I've used IE8 all along..... :)

On Windows 7 64 bit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tony-1977
12-08-2012, 04:52 PM
On Windows 7 64 bit?

Yes :)

martin1810
13-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Currently takes 15 to 20 seconds to load a page for me. Can't browse forum easily because lots of threads just hang and won't open.
It took me 5 minutes of trying to get to this thread and post. All other sites I use load instantly as normal.

Brycie
13-08-2012, 08:51 AM
Was it that way Friday - Saturday Martin (were you on the forum using IE8 then)? I only ask as our poblems seem to have been similar throughout & mine was working well 24-48 hrs ago.

I'm away at the moment (in Norfolk staying at the Father In Laws who's called Martin - spooky lol), but back this evening so I'll give it another try then in case re-enabling those ads has had an adverse effect & report back.

martin1810
13-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Was it that way Friday - Saturday Martin (were you on the forum using IE8 then)? I only ask as our poblems seem to have been similar throughout & mine was working well 24-48 hrs ago.

I'm away at the moment (in Norfolk staying at the Father In Laws who's called Martin - spooky lol), but back this evening so I'll give it another try then in case re-enabling those ads has had an adverse effect & report back.

This is my fifth attempt at replying so I guess that says it all. Where in Norfolk are you?
This is my pc and has worked. The laptop wouldn't post, it just hangs.

Guest 2
13-08-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm having no problems at all on any device os/platform I use - even tapatalk is at normal speed.

Could users affect post their

- Operating System
- ISP
- Browser

martin1810
13-08-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm having no problems at all on any device os/platform I use - even tapatalk is at normal speed.

- Operating System
- ISP
- Browser

I'm using same set up on pc and laptop and yet pc works ok and laptop doesn't. I'll have to dig in ie8 settings to compare pc and laptop.
OS is windows xp sp3
Isp is Bt.
For months this site has run much slower than any other site I visit. I've got used to it now. I keep inprivate filtering turned on and that helps by blocking some of the background ad's etc.

Brycie
13-08-2012, 10:36 AM
I wondered if you'd only gone back to using the problematic set up after Stuart had seen others reporting improvement & had re-enabled the adverts as he said he was going to do. Therefore missing that 24 hour window between Fri & Sat where it was working well. Just a theory, but as I'm away (in King's Lynn btw Martin), I can't tell if my machine is still working well or if the problems have returned.

Windows 7
Sky isp though they use BT lines at the exchange I believe
IE8 browser

martin1810
13-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Using my laptop now and it's ok. No idea why it was playing up this morning. Who knows. My browser seems to work better/ faster if my son is hogging the bandwidth playing games. How does that make sense?

tony-1977
14-08-2012, 12:21 AM

- Operating System
- ISP
- Browser

Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Virgin Media

Internet Explorer 8

Ive not been on the laptop today, but Tapatalk on my iPhone seems a little faster tonight. Will report back tomorrow when on laptop :)

Brycie
14-08-2012, 12:29 AM
Just got back & happy to report my thread download speed still seems pretty good. I'm now looking at maybe 5 seconds to open a thread where it had previously been around 15 seconds. I really had hoped that if mine had improved it would have meant that everyone else's had but I guess not. Will be interesting to hear your findings when you return MF, as it was originally yourself Martin & I who had been affected previously.

So Stuart, if you did re-enable the ads that you'd previously disabled, re-enabling them doesn't seem to have slowed my download speed.

MFGF
14-08-2012, 03:41 AM
Not back home until 22nd August. Until then I'm using Tapatalk on my iPad and enjoying the fabulous weather in Southern California :)

Brycie
14-08-2012, 04:03 AM
Life's good eh? Holidaying in sunny California & an A6 C7 waiting for you on your return (and hopefully a normal speed forum). Sounds like you're having a good time, glad to hear it.

stuart
14-08-2012, 07:09 AM
No, I have done nothing yet... I will re-enable them now ... let me know what happens...

stuart
14-08-2012, 07:11 AM
All re-enable :) Fingers crossed.... please test and let me know if any issues occur...

tony-1977
14-08-2012, 10:09 AM

- Operating System
- ISP
- Browser

Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Virgin Media

Internet Explorer 8

Ive not been on the laptop today, but Tapatalk on my iPhone seems a little faster tonight. Will report back tomorrow when on laptop :)

All re-enable :) Fingers crossed.... please test and let me know if any issues occur...

Seems much better now on the laptop. Still not as quick as other forums / web pages, but certainly an improvement :)

Brycie
14-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Just tried to get into two threads. The first was just the most recent on the activity stream & it seemed to load fairly fast (like Tony said, not as fast as other sites, but not a massive delay & much better than it was. The second time was to get into this & report back & it took ages. The Not Responding message across the top bar came back for the first time since Friday/Saturday.

stuart
14-08-2012, 11:50 AM
I have turned the adverts off again...

Brycie
14-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Normal service has been resumed (well, no delays reading this thread anyway).

tony-1977
14-08-2012, 12:59 PM
I have turned the adverts off again...

Site is running lightening fast for me now ..... :)

tony-1977
14-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Now I can't log in from two laptops and a pc.

Keep getting redirected to the login page.

Posting this from Tapatalk and seems ok though :(

Brycie
14-08-2012, 03:18 PM
I dunno if I missed that little hitch while I was out, but I'm having no problems with speed or logging in on my laptop just for the record, not sure if your problem is still occurring.