PDA

View Full Version : Please Help DSG/Sportronic or DMF issue

rosso rocket
30-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Over the past few weeks, I have noticed a randon metallic tinging or pinging sound coming from, I think, under the car behind the engine, middle of the car.

When you pull away you can hear this 'ting, ting' or single knock. Notice it more when driving past buildings/stationary cars with the window down. Pop the car into drive pull away, then almost immedialtely you can hear 'ting, ting', 'ting', 'ting, ting', just random. Nothing appears to be loose, no fluids leaking anywhere, all appears normal, so I am thinking it's something internal to g/b or engine.
However, sometimes it doesn't happen at all, but 99% of journeys, you can hear it!

The car is a 2.0Tdi 1.7 DSG/Sportronic, 2007 MY, with 58K on the clock.
The gearboax oil was changed in October 2011, following a full service.

Car has been pefect up until now.

Took it in to Audi-VW dealer to check.

Their diagnosis is that it could be either DSG box or Dual Mass Flywheel but not really sure without extensive work. Gulp!

Can anyone shed any light on the symptoms I describe and help/advise???

a8 tech
30-07-2012, 06:56 PM
try setting off in M2 if the noise still present in both M2 and M1 and at idle then its likely to be the dmf

rosso rocket
30-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks A8 Tech....M2...whats that? I only have PRNDS on my selector (with DSG + & -)????

a8 tech
30-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Mechanical gears using the tip gate (+/_) or paddles flaps (I love the word flaps)

a8 tech
30-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Load change noises (clacking) on the A3 2.0 l TDI with direct shift gearbox.Clacking noise from the drive train at 30-80 km/h, engine speed 1200 - 2200 rpm, change from overrun to acceleration.

modified drive shafts and gearbox flange's (another great word flange)

rosso rocket
30-07-2012, 08:40 PM
OK thx for explaining that then. So pop the car into drive then use either paddles or selector to pull away in 1st and then try again from stationary in 2nd and also at idle to see if problem still there.

I'll just pop out and try it...back in a few minutes!

OK...back from a drive.

Random Clanking or Ticking noises occuring in idle and M1, M2, M3, up to and including M6. Checked again with full Sportronic operation, random clanking or ticking noises present in all auto or paddle selected gears.
Checked with car in auto and then into +/- mode from slow drive, into M1 and M2 pull away, same clanking.
Also noticed quite a transmission jolt when going down gears from M3 to M1.

DMF????

rosso rocket
01-08-2012, 06:29 AM
Thanks for your post Proffi E, but my neighbour has basically the same A3 as mine, albeit an SE rather than an S-Line and she had her DMF replaced....took them an age to find the parts but is was definately replaced! They showed her the defective unit when it was removed.
Hers is a 2006 A3 DSG 2.0Tdi, but 140 bhp - and definately is fitted with a DMF!!!!

a8 tech
01-08-2012, 11:17 AM
OK thx for explaining that then. So pop the car into drive then use either paddles or selector to pull away in 1st and then try again from stationary in 2nd and also at idle to see if problem still there.

I'll just pop out and try it...back in a few minutes!

OK...back from a drive.

Random Clanking or Ticking noises occuring in idle and M1, M2, M3, up to and including M6. Checked again with full Sportronic operation, random clanking or ticking noises present in all auto or paddle selected gears.
Checked with car in auto and then into +/- mode from slow drive, into M1 and M2 pull away, same clanking.
Also noticed quite a transmission jolt when going down gears from M3 to M1.

DMF????

Interesting
Two things need checking
Firstly readapt the basic setting and check the oil for glychol contamination
And check the drive flanges as mentioned earlier
The flywheel is normally only at idle and loading the first gear and shouldn't affect gear selection changes but a clutch pack defect or mechatronics certainly would cause harsh changes and possible gear carrage noise

Sent from my iPhone using
My fat fingers

a8 tech
01-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Interesting as 80% of the problems are mechatronics or sw issues so only the clutch pack and occasional synchro issue have been the repairs I have under taken but as mentioned this is likely to be the 02e box and in most cases the noise is from the drive shafts around 1200 to 2200 rpm
Requiring the modified driveshafts

Sent from my iPhone using
My fat fingers