PDA

View Full Version : Off throttle "BANG" in 2nd gear (A4 1.9TDI)

Gwilo
30-07-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm at the end of my tether.
Have had the car back just over a week and now I have yet another problem.
In second gear, lift off the throttle and there is a bang from under the car, accompanied by a mechanical thunk feeling through the floor and interior. The bang increases in severity according to how fast you're going in second gear.
I've never had a VAG car do this, and don't believe it's how it should be. There's no other symptoms, aside from clutch biting point being so high up it's unreal (if related).

I just want to know what the fault is this time, there are ideas out there.

I'm sick and tired of taking it back to the dealer practically every week, not having transport while they think about what to do. On Friday I had to book it in elsewhere to get the wiper linkage/motor done at my expense, as dealer said they couldn't look at it for a week, now this happens today.So looks like a very short stint of Audi A4 ownership :zx11: Rejecting under SoGA, given it's spent 13 days in dealers garage since 26th June and not mine.:zx11:

Eshrules
30-07-2012, 03:18 PM
If you're rejecting under the SoGA, what use is it trying to diagnose the fault?

Have you had the vehicle independantly inspected to ascertain the fault, so as to facilitate the rejection?

If not - might I suggest you do and before you put pen to paper.

What work has been completed during the 13 days it was with the dealer?

Gwilo
30-07-2012, 03:39 PM
all valid points Esh. let me expand a little.

The car is currently with a local VAG indie, so will be finding out later tonight/early tomorrow what the problem is.
The 13 days (total I have been without the car) is from two seperate visits, both for the temp guage issue, which I've previously mentioned on this forum.

As for diagnosing the fault and SoGA - while this is likely a completely new problem, it sounds very mechanical and will no doubt result in yet another extended visit to the dealer.
I have no confidence in the vehicle, and even less in the dealer at accurately diagnosing and fixing the fault. I do believe that a well-maintained car, supplied by a large dealer should not develop an average of 1 fault per week that requires 3-4 day stays with them, each time costing me a great deal of time, additional expense and inconvenience.

I've been hugely patient with the dealers service department, but this feels like the straw that breaks the camels back.
I therefore do not consider the car to be of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose because it certainly isn't lasting for a reasonable amount of time in a reasonable condition. I think that is a reasonable position to take, given what's gone on.

Let me flip this around:-
How many faults and problems would you tolerate happening to a car in the first month of ownership?
Would you be perfectly happy to keep being left with no way to get to work for half a week, every week?

Eshrules
30-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Don't take what I say as an attack, I'm very matter of fact and it doesn't help anybody to complicate issues like this.

From reading yout post, the 13 days has been to rectify a temp gauge issue. Has this fault been fixed?

When was the clunking/2nd gear issue raised to the dealer and what has their response been to this fault in particular?

Were any faults you're experiencing now, present on the test drive? If so, were they mentioned prior to purchase?

The difficulty you face with a used car is what is considered fair wear and tear.

Were this a brand new vehicle, SoGA is far more demanding - used vehicles not so much so.

Gwilo
31-07-2012, 10:32 AM
That's fine Esh, I don't take it as an attack, and please don't interpret my questions posted as one on you either.
I posted them to communicate where I find myself in relation to the vehicle.

The garage have fixed the same issue twice, rejected one repair request as not a warranty issue and up to last night, I had entertained letting them have crack at the gearbox mounts. But there was no progress made, as no one would make a decision on any proposed solution, and there were many.

The gearbox mount issue was not obvious to me as a layperson on the short test drive. Open roads mean you don't crawl in 1st & 2nd. Nor was anything said by the supplying dealer - apart from that they would put it through the workshop for inspection, make good any issues and MOT.
I realise MOT doesn't cover such an area, and it appears that putting it through the workshop only means checking it's got oil and water in it, not of it is mechanically sound and in good repair.

I live and learn, while waiting for a meaningful response one way or the other from the dealer.

Eshrules
31-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Sorry Gwilo - I've just checked your previous posts and it seems the issue's become rather complicated

Second Hand Car issues....Next stop? (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?134927-Second-Hand-Car-issues-Next-stop)

what came of the letter you sent to the dealer? Given that we're now 14 days from when you sent it, there is a much clearer path to take.

As an aside - is this car cash paid for or financed?

Gwilo
31-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Paid cash essentially via debit card :(
Serves me right by trying to be fiscally responsible for once!

I've had no response to any of my communications, aside from a blanket acknowledgement from the first one from a CS operative.
Conversations have been documented in each communication since and today's discussions are not inspiring, with 'he's in a meeting', "I've emailed him so he's aware of it" being all I'm getting.
Awareness doesn't resolve the situation. Everything else smacks of stalling.
I'm doing my utmost to remain calm and businesslike, but I've been and continue to be, inconvenienced and put to greater costs all the time, which I don't think it right.
Still I have no immediate recourse if the dealer doesn't respond. They have my
Money. I have a car with serious mechanical issues ongoing which I will not drive. Looks increasingly like things will escalate.

Eshrules
31-07-2012, 11:41 AM
The letter you sent, 14 days ago was signed for by them. In this letter, you stated all faults and requested recompense for the public transport you've had to use (mentioning the receipts you had).

Have you received a response to this letter?

You need to cease verbal communications immediately, as I said in the other thread, it's too easy to fob someone off verbally. Written communications must be acknowledged.

I would resend the letter - stating all current faults, ask for a corrective plan of action from them and give them 14 working days to respond.

In the meantime, I would contact the citizens advice consumer service and discuss your options with them - they will decide whether or not trading standards can be involved which may or may not help your case.

Regards the financial implications - ultimately, if the dealer fail to repair the vehicle I suspect it may result in small claims court proceedings - although most dealers will try to resolve the issue before it gets to that point.

Gwilo
31-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Sounds about right.

Eshrules
31-07-2012, 11:55 AM
what does?

Gwilo
31-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Ceasing verbal, signed for letters etc.
The local branch signed for the paperwork, vehicle and keys etc, so truly no vehicle now.
Copies already sent recorded based on legal advice obtained as well.
Interestingly, phone call received five after 12 to say they will do the refund, insisting they don't legally have to (SoGA would seem to disagree utterly) and that it will cost them too much time and money to resolve. That latter point I accept, it's not my problem though.
I have requested this in writing, so will have to see if they make good on this.