PDA

View Full Version : 2005 a3 2.0l tdi

henners38
28-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Finally the weather is god enough for a day of detailing! I've been carting around a newly purchased clay bar kit in my boot for about a month now!!

Anyway - here is my efforts today:
Fully washed, dried, clay bar'd, polished with Meguirs Quick Detailer and finished off with Autoglym super resin polish.

Guest 2
28-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Looks good!

Did you not put any wax on after the polish?

henners38
28-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Well I had a meguirs clay bar kit which came with something along the lines of 'reapir wax' or something like that, so I wasn't sure if I should put it on after the autoglym polish. Whats the benefits of waxing after polish? Does it just seal it in?

Edit - 20.17 - It was actualy called 'Cleainer Wax'

pxr5
29-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Car looks good but it's a bit pointless using a QD before a polish. A QD is used after the car has already been prepped (cleaned, clayed, de-ironed, de-tarred), polished and waxed/sealed as a top-up shine. I prefer not to use a QD that adds any extra protection as the LSP has already achieved that.

A Wax is the last stage of a clean. Look at it as sealing in, and protecting, all that hard work you have just gone through. The QD, if at all necessary, should be used as part of a later clean.

Basic regime is:

Pre-wash (e.g. Snow foam)
Rinse
Shampoo (2 buckets)
Rinse
Iron Remover,
Tar Remover.
Rinse
Clay
Rinse
Polish
Wax/Seal

henners38
02-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Well the quick detailer came in the clay bar kit and the instructions said to use it with the clay bar. SO I did!

Whats the iron remover & tar remover? Surely thats just what the clay bar is for?

pxr5
04-08-2012, 12:08 AM
The QD you used was as a lube for the clay and nothing more. Nothing wrong with that, but added little to the protection. After the SRP, a seant/wax should be applied for longevity of protection as SRP alone has some, but little, protection.

Iron/tar removers are relativley much cheaper than clay. You would use quite a bit of clay to remove those nasties and no guarantee that you'll get rid of it all. Using an iron then tar remover beforehand will ensure you don't pick up all that mess in the clay and potentially mar your paint with the residue.

Furryhobnob
10-08-2012, 02:34 AM
Some poorboys black hole glaze would also do a better job than the srp you used mate, it's cracking stuff :-)