PDA

View Full Version : Question Radio draining battery??

jonbaker
28-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Woke up this morning to a flat battery. Now, this happened a few weeks back and after a jump it's been fine since. Called the RAC out just now as my leads have been misplaced, after finding that the battery is charging and in a good condition we got it down to the radio drawing 2 amp when everything is off.

On removing the fuse for the radio it drops right down to 0.2 or something.

Now, I had this exact same problem a few years back, I drove around for a few months with no fuse in the radio and one day decided to put it back in to see what happens. Ever since then it has been fine, but the problem is back.

Any ideas why the radio would be drawing this power when off? I have a 6 cd changer in the glove compartment also.

Cheers

One point to note is that I have recently had the grometts unblocked under the battery as water was collecting in the tray. I know that sometimes water can get into the footwells when this happens but i've never felt any dampness there. I know that there is an electrical part under the front passenger seat that can be effected by water getting in the footwell, would it be possible for water to get to that for this problem w/o any signs of dampness in the footwell?

boomer4148
20-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Hey JON,

did you resolve your problem with radio draining battery, i think i have same one
regards
dave

jonbaker
20-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Hey JON,

did you resolve your problem with radio draining battery, i think i have same one
regards
dave

No mate, i've left the fuse out ever since, not been flat since then. Im wondering that although the radio is draining power that it might shut down after a longer period of time. I havent had the chance to test that. Might put the fuse back in and see how she goes. May well of been too many short journeys, who knows.

So have you seen that your radio is drawing power when car is shut down?

Bnes26
18-09-2012, 07:42 AM
I have an Audi a3 2000. Had the same problem for the last year. Battery dead before I would drive to work, then dead again when I went to drive home. Had to use jump Leads to start it twice every day. It turns out it was the radio draining the battery. So now I just take out the fuse for the radio when ever the car is off and the battery drain seems to be gone. Car is fine. Starts every day