PDA

View Full Version : Bang goes the Adaptive Air Suspension

pld118
28-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Had 4 new tyres fitted (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_nkw=tyres+fitted) on my Q7 y'day afternoon (Continental Contisport5 for £920 fitted all inclusive... a good price, or was it... the next few days will tell!)...

Got home (from the household name tyre fitters) and after switching engine off there was compression/ generator sounding noise coming from under the front offside of the car (to the inside of the front driver's side wheel)... Then there was a loud bang, some smoke, the noise continued for 20 minutes or so and after the bang there were many tiny little round cream coloured pellets all over the driveway... and when I started the car, there was a loud but brief angry sounding hiss from under the car and then the Adaptive Air Suspension warning lights started flashing and the front end of the car lowered dramatically, the front arches coming to rest just over the front wheels. Every time I opened the driver door and/or start the car, the hissing sound happens...

Does anyone recognise symptoms please/ does anyone know what exactly might have gone on (I'm presuming the suspension has failed - Lol - maybe the compressor or some ruptured pipe)?

The car is under warranty but could the tyres fitters have done something wrong I wonder?

Anyway, the car was put on the back of a lorry this morning (only positive was the recovery driver complimenting how mint my Q7 is) and is now at the local Audi dealership and I'm awaiting an expensive sounding verdict (and praying)!

Guest 2
28-07-2012, 05:04 PM
I take it you didn't put the suspension in jacking mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pld118
28-07-2012, 05:22 PM
I take it you didn't put the suspension in jacking mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't. They're the professionals so if that has caused the problem then I would expect them to take responsibility for it.

However, the recovery driver asked that this morning as well and I commented that all that happended once a few years ago with my Discovery3 when jacking mode had not been selected was that the suspension reset itself after going up and down a few times.

Last time I used the same firm to fit the Q7 tyres as this time though and again, I never had any discussion with them about 'jacking mode' and there were no issues.

The car's suspension appeared fine when I carefully drove the 10 miles or so home from the tyre garage (never took it above 40mph if that)... I noticed it was in comfort mode when I got home. I usually drive on Dynamic because it seems to make the tyres wear at a slower rate.

pld118
07-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Q7 has been fixed at local Audi main dealer... A relay switch (costing £11.80) failed causing the suspension compressor to explode ('suspension compressor' being '064457/Air Unit' at a cost of £1493.68 plus vat)... Total cost to repair? £2049.56 including VAT... Fortunately all covered under extended warranty that we pay £70 plus per month for...