PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Power steering pump imminent failure?

Saturn
26-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Hi all, am really confused. Some help please:

The other day was driving to work and had two sharp jolts from the engine at low rpm (1500-2000rpm) and both times I had "Alternator workshop!" warning and battery charge light come on. Both times the fault went straight away.
When I got home the was a aweful lot of rattling noise coming from somewhere in the engine bay. I assumed it had to be connected with the alternator fault I had previously. Anyway alternator off and bearings inside were noisey and rough, and the clutch was seized. Sent it off for refurb and repair.
All back together and low and behold the same damn noises are coming from the engine only getting worse.
It seems directly affected by steering movement especially at the lock to lock or when the steering is under load. Fluid level is normal, if maybe a little high.

Is it likely the pump is failing? The noise can only be described as a bag of rattling nails and bolts..... and increases in intensity with rpm. Acessory belt tensioner recently replaced as well as belt.

Any help would be much appreciated. thanks :confused:

caldirun
26-07-2012, 10:37 PM
They have not fitted a solid pulley, have they?

zollaf
26-07-2012, 10:45 PM
you can check the pulley. engine off, small thin bladed screwdriver or other suitable pokey thing, carefully place it through the front of the alternator and try to turn the fan that sits just inside the front of the casing. it should turn clockwise with a small amount of resistance.

Saturn
26-07-2012, 11:17 PM
No, I checked the pulley before putting it back on and its definately not solid and working as it should.
Not sure if there is a way to check the power steering pump, or what it should feel like if turned by hand?

Peter D
31-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Take the power steering belt off and run the engine. Regards Peter

Crasher
31-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Sounds like one way clutch failure to me.

Saturn
01-08-2012, 01:06 AM
Take the power steering belt off and run the engine. Regards Peter
The belt runs the power steering, alternator & viscous fan. So not sure what removing it would achieve apart from eliminating all of those?

Sounds like one way clutch failure to me.

On the alternator? just had it changed and checked it before putting it back on.... unless its somehow defective.

caldirun
01-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Check the mounting bushes on the belt tensioner with the belt off, the plastic bushes wear and the soft metal wears even quicker on the hard bolt.

martin1810
01-08-2012, 10:16 AM
What is the tensioner like. Is it partialy siezed?

Saturn
02-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Check the mounting bushes on the belt tensioner with the belt off, the plastic bushes wear and the soft metal wears even quicker on the hard bolt.

What is the tensioner like. Is it partialy siezed?

I will check, changed the tensioner only couple of hundred miles ago. Very curious to see what the issue is. Will post as soon as I find out.

Saturn
06-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Just wanted to finish the outcome of this thread...
Final result was power steering pulley that had come loose.... possibly from combination of all of above. Shaft cleaned up and pulley tightened and problem solved.