PDA

View Full Version : a3 54plate 2.0tdi clocks and startin problem

lance h
26-07-2012, 03:42 PM
hi guys hers the problem , just bought a car as a none runner the car starts and then dies ther are no lights on the dash until 8 seconds pass from turning the key then only light up on the speedo side for a few seconds then goes out again the indicators all work outside the car but no indicator lights inside the car took the clocks out and notice ther seems to be some sort of fault warped plastic at the back at the back and realy smells of smoke inside the clocks im guessing its new clocks? my car is a 54plte a3 2.0tdi. also noticed its had a new window im guessing at some time the clocks have been wet which as caused the problem any solutions welcome thanks

zollaf
26-07-2012, 03:52 PM
sounds like you needs a new dash panel. the immobiliser is part of it which is why it start and then dies. new is expensive but easy, used opens a minefield as you need your skc code and someone to programme it all up and possibly new chips for your keys.

NHN
27-07-2012, 12:31 AM
You probably will need another cluster, but unless your keys immo are goosed which I doubt, then you wont need new keys if originals, just recoded via a dealer, I know someone with some tdi clocks.

lance h
27-07-2012, 01:13 PM
hi mate cheers for info the clocks i need are 8p0920980p cant find tht many about wher are you based cheers

NHN
28-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Yours is borderline on when they changed the fuel level senders to 2 wires for cluster, can you lift up the rear bench as there's a fuel pump under there, give rear bench a good yank on the front edge & see how its hooked/latched over the rear hook for when returning to same position, there's a big black rubber seal covering pump, just pull this out its perfectly safe, then get the full part number including any letters on end, also check how how many wires the connector has, iirc its a 5 pin connector but may only have 4 wires in place.