PDA

View Full Version : Possible Wheel bearing trouble, Help!!

andy2626
25-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Hey there guys got an issue but my b5 2000 passat (1.8 20v). In the last week or so it has started to make a humming sound that is getting progressively louder. It starts around 40mph and gets louder as you gain speed. It is also louder as you turn left and quieter as you turn right. I've had a wheel bearing go before and it does sound similar however when I did the standard checks there is no play in any of the wheels and none of them really make much of a noise when rotated. Any ideas on what it could be if its not a wheel bearing? Is it worth just waiting till it gets really bad to identify the problem? I've also never had a bearing collapse on me before what happens when it comes to that?

scotty33
27-07-2012, 09:13 PM
If front bearing, what you will likely find, is that there is/are small pits/craters in the bearing outer race. These will be in the top portion of the race, which 'sees' all of the weight of the car. When you jack up and spin the wheel, the bearing elements will be running against the relatively unworn bottom half of the outer race, so the sound will not be present. Louder as you turn left suggests the r front is most likely?
It will probably continue to run ok for some time but will get louder and more annoying! If it does collapse, it is likely to strand you, due to the disc rubbing the caliper and you risk needing to change more bits due to damage e.g hub, wheel bearing housing, disc, caliper.
Suggest you get another body in the car, see which side the noise is coming from and go for it. Even if you get the wrong one, the effort will not be wasted, chances are it wont be far from failing anyway?

andy2626
29-07-2012, 06:32 PM
cheers my mate came in the car with me and he thinks front right too. I think I'll dive into it when I have a few days free and see if it is the bearing.