PDA

View Full Version : what car would you choose

a8 tech
08-08-2007, 09:53 PM
If you had the choice of traveling around the world in a family saloon for free but you would have to pay for the repairs to the vehicle on this trip,which car would you use to do this and why

RickT
08-08-2007, 10:54 PM
If you had the choice of traveling around the world in a family saloon for free but you would have to pay for the repairs to the vehicle on this trip,which car would you use to do this and why

I know you say Saloon... I would go for a BMW M5 touring... or maybe a RS4 avant, Yes its a family car (well can be used as one),

In regards to repairs, these cars are built to last so should manage ok.. - as the circumference of the earth at the equator is 24,902 miles, so i would expect to double that by road, i would say as long as i could service the car we should be fine!!! in theory,,,

And if i did have to repair it... time to swap it for a horse... !

RickT

CmdrBond
09-08-2007, 07:32 AM
My initial thoughts were to go with the RS4, but like Rick, the repairs should there be any are going to sting in the wallet.

After considerdation, I think I would probably go for A5 3.0tdi Quattro. They have been getting rave reviews in all the car magazines (at least the ones that I read) and with the bomb proof engine, Audi build quality and fuel economy I think that would be my choice.

Alternatively, the second choice - should I have to wait too long for a A5 would be a Skoda Octavia VRS with the diesel engine.

MalcQV
09-08-2007, 07:41 AM
Probably a Honda Accord. Might even be tempted by the CDTi for economy assuming I had to pay for fuel too.

From experience (owning one) I would trust it to do the job reliably.

prolfe
09-08-2007, 09:07 AM
I think that as it's a trip the whole way round the world that I would have to have a car that was:

Reliable
Economic
Speedy
Comfortable

So I would choose:

Audi A8 4.2 V8 Tdi Quattro Sport

It will do 0-60 in 5.9 and is limited to 155 (would have to remove that)
It has 321bhp and 479lb of torque

And it's only 0.8 seconds slower 0-60 than the S8 which is a 5.2 V10

Lex Luthor
09-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Hi jacked by the racing fraternity already........

Logically, since at least in 2/3 of the world there is no way a sophisticated vehicle could be fixed, you need to go back a few generations and pick something really agricultural that can be fixed with bits of wire and a sledge hammer !

I think a 60's american muscle car would be perfect......

leckford
09-08-2007, 10:03 AM
also considering the state of some of the roads in other countries, you would want something with alot of rubber between the wheels and the road

CmdrBond
09-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Hi jacked by the racing fraternity already........

Logically, since at least in 2/3 of the world there is no way a sophisticated vehicle could be fixed, you need to go back a few generations and pick something really agricultural that can be fixed with bits of wire and a sledge hammer !

I think a 60's american muscle car would be perfect......

To put this albeit logical train of thought to the subject.......well for me it would have to be either a Toyota Hi-Lux (remember what the Top Gear boys did to it!!!) or a Land Rover Defender (the mainstay of our armed forces for the last 40+ years)

Lex Luthor
09-08-2007, 10:17 AM
To put this albeit logical train of thought to the subject.......well for me it would have to be either a Toyota Hi-Lux (remember what the Top Gear boys did to it!!!) or a Land Rover Defender (the mainstay of our armed forces for the last 40+ years)

Saloon car.......

Sam
09-08-2007, 10:52 AM
I'd either go for a 60s Lada - if they're tough enough to work in Siberian Russia....

or

A Pug 404

or

Something Chevy

Lex Luthor
09-08-2007, 11:06 AM
A Pug 404

Yes of course.....
You used to see those in all the old African documentaries before 4X4s took over. Mainly in French colonies I think.

CmdrBond
09-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Saloon car.......

DOH!!!!!:Blush2:

As soon as I posted that I remembered the criteria

Lex Luthor
09-08-2007, 12:29 PM
DOH!!!!!:Blush2:

As soon as I posted that I remembered the criteria

But without that restriction Landrover would be it.....

Sam
09-08-2007, 12:35 PM
But without that restriction Landrover would be it.....

Without that restriction, I'd go for the same bikes used by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman et al in the Long Way Round - BMW R1150GS Adventure.

If you've not seen it, I recommend it, the bikes were impressive, the scenery even more so.

cbrpaul
09-08-2007, 12:50 PM
BMW 330D

As long as its german !!!
:beerchug:

Lex Luthor
09-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Without that restriction, I'd go for the same bikes used by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman et al in the Long Way Round - BMW R1150GS Adventure.

If you've not seen it, I recommend it, the bikes were impressive, the scenery even more so.

I saw bits......how much outside support would they need ?
The bikes cannot go far before refueling and you are awfully vulnerable.

Sam
09-08-2007, 01:21 PM
I saw bits......how much outside support would they need ?
The bikes cannot go far before refueling and you are awfully vulnerable.

Hmm, true, they did need a lot of assistance crossing rivers, and the like but they held up very well.

One of the obvious downsides is the physical nature of the bike too.

Back to saloon cars it is!

prolfe
09-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Not that comfortable either, they had to stand up for miles and miles, and they crashed daily.

Something else that would not be that comfortable - The 2007 Paris-Dakar Rally winning car - The mitsubishi Pajero mpr13 - or the Volkswagen Race Touareg 2.

a8 tech
09-08-2007, 06:06 PM
4.2 a8 diesel with air suspension for me,because i likes em

Brekka
09-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Got to bear in mind that things have to be reasonably low tech, think of the very poor fuel quality fuel you are going to encounter along the way. A refined petrol demanding high octane fuel wouldn't stand a chance nor would any other vehicle with an over-sensitive ecu!

Personally i would go for an older Subaru as you have 4WD, hyper-reliability, tried and tested agricultural technology all in a saloon car shell.

CmdrBond
10-08-2007, 06:49 AM
Got to bear in mind that things have to be reasonably low tech, think of the very poor fuel quality fuel you are going to encounter along the way. A refined petrol demanding high octane fuel wouldn't stand a chance nor would any other vehicle with an over-sensitive ecu!

Personally i would go for an older Subaru as you have 4WD, hyper-reliability, tried and tested agricultural technology all in a saloon car shell.

Been thinking about this and I would have to agree - would go for a Subaru Forester for exactly those reasons.

MalcQV
10-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Been thinking about this and I would have to agree - would go for a Subaru Forester for exactly those reasons.

Forgot about a Forrester, my pal has a 2.0 turbo. Yep me too scrap the Accord go with the Subaru now ;)