PDA

View Full Version : SEL170 passenger side squeaks

vince47
08-08-2007, 08:29 PM
I have just got a new 170SEL estate. Very pleased with it so far bar one annoying problem which I wonder if anyone else has. Somewhere around the glove box area there is a really annoying squeak/creak. Its like 2 bits of stiff plastic rubbing together and occurs with even the slightest bump in the road surface. Its not a rattle like another posting. As we all know the location of `glovebox` could be way out but it does tend to stop/reduce if the passenger presses to the rhs of the glovebox. Have emptied the glovebox/removed manual/driven with lid open, no change.
Such a pain to take it in just for this, seems a bit petty. Thought I would check for ideas before I pull the glovebox out to explore!

passat170
09-08-2007, 02:22 AM
Vince,
Can't help you but have a look at this discussion:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=12663
A few questions.....
Is yours a 2008 model year? If so what are the changes?
Can you check my posting re cruise control fault - I hope yours doesn't have the same problem and I would be grateful for feedback on this when you've had time to play with all the toys!
Cheers,
J

vince47
09-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the reply. I had read that posting and poked around the bulkhead from the engine side, but my noise isnt revs dependent.
My car is 2007 so cant help with changes, but you could try playing around with a VIN decoder on http://www.oilshop.ro/catalog/vagvin.php. If you plug your VIN no in and alter the year digit (7) to an 8 and try various serial nos., you will find the first 2008 model was serial 000115 (7th Mar 07). Depends if its just curiousity about the 08 changes or something specific you are after.
Will check the cruise control but could be a few weeks as cruisng on my journey to work isnt an option but holiday time coming up

Quatrelle
09-08-2007, 05:55 PM
My 'French' 140TDI saloon does this squeaking/buzzing noise, depending on the road surface - and possibly cabin temperature? Have you tried lubricating certain areas, as suggested in the other thread? Sometimes mine will go for days without a sound, and it's not as frequent as it was so I'm not too bothered now. I've also jammed the manual in with a piece of bubble wrap top and bottom, and pressing the glove box hard up whilst moving 'seems' to stop it.

I wonder also if it is aggravated by 17" wheels and lower profile tyres, which give a harsher ride - mine are 16".

vince47
18-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Just in case anyone else has this this noise (difficult to describe but a cross between rubbing 2 bits of hard plastic together causing a squeak + those same two pieces rattling together) I found the following
The noise was still there with the glovebox door open and the manual out but I found that with the glove box door sitting on the catch not quite closed, the noise went completely. So as an experiment I stuck two sticky back felt pads to each of the two spring loaded buffers the door presses against when closed and that seems to have done the trick. You need to close the glovebox slightly more firmly than before but thats no problem. I feel the root of the problem is in the glovebox door but I didnt want to dismantle it even if I could and it was a quick no cost fix. I deliberately waited before I wrote this up in case it returned but its 2weeks now and it was there most days before. Its been hard to find as on my car the glovebox assembly as a whole has plenty of rattles if you thump it!

Yeti_Racer
19-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Fixed the squeak on mine by just tightening up the torx headed screws that hold the glove box into the dash. (simple fix for something that was driving me nuts).

angus
19-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Just given up on mine, its been back for various sqeaks/rattles/buzzes but the one they can`t cure is the glovebox lid which drives me to distraction but shuts up if you open the glovebox then slam it shut (works for about 5 minutes). The VW answer is to spray everything with silicone, which doesn`t work as its not enough to compensate for the poor plastics/workmanship which cause the problem.

Never mind only 18 months to go, maybe I should have got the Accord instead........

Third Passat but will be my last, too many niggles and not enough compensations.

Quatrelle
19-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Just given up on mine, its been back for various sqeaks/rattles/buzzes but the one they can`t cure is the glovebox lid which drives me to distraction but shuts up if you open the glovebox then slam it shut (works for about 5 minutes). The VW answer is to spray everything with silicone, which doesn`t work as its not enough to compensate for the poor plastics/workmanship which cause the problem.

Never mind only 18 months to go, maybe I should have got the Accord instead........

Third Passat but will be my last, too many niggles and not enough compensations.If you're stuck with your Passat, I should have a look at the two posts above - might make the next 18 months less painful!