PDA

View Full Version : A4 Cab 3.0 Sport 2004 Multitronic Gearbox ECU Repair

Joe9T
19-07-2012, 12:44 AM
Started to get the dreaded flashing PRNDS and dropping into failsafe mode. Car had not been used for a couple of weeks.

Got the car hooked up to diagnostics at SJB Autotech to reveal the following fault codes:

17137 - Shift Solenoid 1 (N88) : Circuit Failure
P0753 - 007 - Short to Ground - Intermittent

and

17134 - Shift Solenoid 1 (N88) : Malfunction
P0750 - 000 - - - Intermittent

Initial diagnosis was that N88 malfunction requires V88 valve block assembly - requires main dealer attention ( read £1400 + labour ++)

Damn! So what can we try? Lets change the gearbox oil. Maybe this will do enough to flush out the solenoid etc?

Fortunately car was due a gearbox oil change so £144 later all done, and drove home without a hitch. Following morning, flashing PRNDS again. Damn!

So what next? Let get the ECU out and have it repaired. (Damn that oil change was for nothing, but worth a try)

Back in to SJB Autotech and three days and a further £639 later all fixed. ECU repair guys found problems with the ECU and fixed them. (Why stick an ECU inside a gearbox with the oil?) ECU repair was £300 plus VAT, I think I got a recon unit. Plus another gearbox oil change so should be clean in there now ;) Have seen cheaper for an ECU repair, but would have had to do the stripping out myself and don't have the kit, time or resources.

SJB Autotech (in Basingstoke, just round the corner from the main Audi dealership!) are a great bunch, friendly, helpful and efficient. They give a you a 5% discount for displaying their sticker, and you get free air fresheners and key fobs (?)

When looking at the cost from the intial diagnosis it was worth trying everything else first, and it may not be the frailities of the dreaded multitronic gearbox itself that are causing the problem.

HTH