PDA

View Full Version : B8 Advanced Key Stopped Working?

Sheroo
15-07-2012, 02:14 PM
I've read on this forum that this could be due to a number of issues? My Advanced Key mysteriously stopped working, I can open the boot (using Advanced Key) but cannot open any of the other doors. The confusing thing is that it stopped working for a short while then it fixed itself and worked fine for a couple of weeks. Now, it's back to the boot opens fine, keyless start is fine but keyless entry/lock does not work.

As it's an 08 plate, Audi want to charge £110+VAT for just hooking it to a machine never mind a fix! Has anoyone else had similar experiences, can anyone advise a fix Icould attempt myself please?

Guest 2
15-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Not sure but I assume it might be some sort of signal receiver for the doors which unlocks them..

Where abouts are you and I can try and find you a local member with VCDS to see what the problem is.

Sheroo
15-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Not sure but I assume it might be some sort of signal receiver for the doors which unlocks them..

Where abouts are you and I can try and find you a local member with VCDS to see what the problem is.

Hi Chris, I live in W. Yorkshire.

21stCentury
16-07-2012, 07:33 PM
I have the same problem with mine. In fact this problem has been intermittent for well over a year. If there is any clue as to what might be wrong I have noticed that it seems to be more prevalent in damp weather. I have just booked mine in to be checked out as the warranty expires at the end of August. It's due to go in on 2nd August. I'll be asking what was found and post the outcome in due course. Feel free to PM me and remind me if I forget.

Zenerdiode
18-07-2012, 10:11 PM
I've had the exact same thing with mine. I played dumb with the dealer and just said the "advanced key unlocking thingy doesn't work" - but had a look with my VCDS. It was reporting the passenger front handle sensor was faulty, but the dealer changed all four for me. :)

All under warranty so no sharp pain in the wallet-pocket.

21stCentury
03-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Got the car back today. The drivers door touch sensor has been replaced and all seems fine, but then it hasn't rained just yet (although I doubt it will be long before it does!).

Interestingly the tank flap motor was also replaced as (unknown to me) the fuel flap wasn't locking either.

Sheroo
04-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks, just messaged you without reading this. I've got the exact same problems but am going to do this myself.

Sheroo
10-08-2012, 08:17 PM
So before I go and buy a new sensor, I thought I'd take off the door handles (thanks to this link : Advanced key entry problem - A5_OC (http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-general-q/21211-advanced-key-entry-problem.html) ), I swapped around the passenger and driver door sensors but no effect!

After I drove the car around, all sensors started to work except the drivers door which unlocks but does not lock. Once the car is left for 15-20 minutes then the door unlock option stops working again but works after I've driven the car even for a few seconds! Boot open and auto-start still work fine.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to what else could be wrong or should I just buy a new sensor and hope it resolves everything?

baylissboy
10-08-2012, 11:06 PM
If one sensor goes down the system is inop...so swapping sensors to different handles won't help. There's a TPI for this issue, if the sensor is a certain part number it must be replaced with the later type, generally this means all 4 sensors are replaced!!

Sheroo
11-08-2012, 12:01 AM
If one sensor goes down the system is inop...so swapping sensors to different handles won't help. There's a TPI for this issue, if the sensor is a certain part number it must be replaced with the later type, generally this means all 4 sensors are replaced!!

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I am going to try to replace the driver door only first to see if it sorts itself out, if not then all of them...

Sheroo
18-08-2012, 04:13 PM
I've replaced the passenger and driver door sensors. Once I start the car, everything seems to work for about 10 minutes as one would expect, all doors open/lock as expected. However after around 10-30mins it stops working again.

Should I invest in another 2 sensors for the rear doors or is there something else that could be a problem? I would appreciate any advise.

Sheroo
22-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Got it working at last with some advice from baylissboy, he advised I should clear the DTC's and indeed this has resolved the problem, so far so good. I'm really pleased as I managed to pick up the sensors for £40 each so made a good saving.

MFGF
22-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Got it working at last with some advice from baylissboy, he advised I should clear the DTC's and indeed this has resolved the problem, so far so good. I'm really pleased as I managed to pick up the sensors for £40 each so made a good saving.

Baylissboy is a top bloke! Glad you got the issue fixed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sheroo
22-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks, I concur that he is a very helpful chap, can't wait for my A6 now :)

troc
20-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Hmm, I had a problem with door sensors that worked intermittently so I replaced the driver's (front left, in in NL) and the rear right door sensor. This worked for a few minutes and then none of them worked anymore, not before or after driving.

I cleared the DTCs using VCDS/VAG-COM and the doors all started working again as before, yay........

but, after driving to work, they refused to work again. I am assuming they are throwing the same faults again. Do I need to do something other than clear the codes?

I bought the new, all black door sensors rather than the older ones with a translucent section. Do I need to use the older model?

It's frustrating that they work for a whole and then, sometime during the drive, fail.

*sigh*

troc
21-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Anyone able to help here? I still have the problem that I clear the DTCs and the doors all work properly as expected but then sooner rather than later, it all fails again with the same fault codes to the two doors where I switched to the "new" all-black sensors (version C) instead of the older version A ones fitted to my car.

Should I buy some of the older model sensors and fit them? or two more of the new ones to fit to the other two doors? i.e. does it matter that not all sensors are the same?

Or should I try taking them out and checking I've connected them up properly?

Any help would be appreciated.

baylissboy
21-01-2013, 07:40 PM
I had an S5 Coupe that had one sensor go down, due to the TPI we replaced both the sensors in the doors, the operation was re-stored for approx 3-4 ignition cycles, then the system was inop again. Rather surprising was that now no one sensor was identified as faulty ie originally the faulty sensor was identified in the control unit as faulty "passenger door handle sensor short to earth". Now the fault was stored as "door handle sensors implausible signal". To cut a long story short we identified that there was a part number change around the build date of the car & ETKA had listed the wrong sensors, the difference was only in the surfix of the part number ie one part was just numbers the other was numbers followed by a letter. The sensors looked identical, both were the later "black" sensors, but the system would only work with the correct sensors fitted. The boot would still open by using the keyless entery, but neither doors worked. In a A4 I would suggest you fit all four sensors, using the "correct", later sensors. Hope that info helps!!

troc
22-01-2013, 09:29 AM
AHA, that makes sense. I bought the ones with the suffix (4G8 927 753 A if anyone is interested) and some googling makes me think I should have got the suffix-free version.

I'll try with the 4G8 927 753 (suffix-free) instead!

:)

Hippogriff
24-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Hi all,

I've not been here for a while, as I've had no need to - my 59 reg. A4 has been running fine (nice to be able to say that after its many previous visits to the dealer). However, it seems woe is upon me again... bit melodramatic, I know. ;) My advanced key functions have just stopped working, well they're acting-up. I've no idea why.

I can get into the boot just using my hand while the key in my pocket.
I can't unlock any of the doors with my hand when I've got the key in my pocket - I have to take it out and press the unlock button.
I can put the key in my pocket and press the Start button to drive (I don't have to insert the key into the dashboard).
When I stop, I can press the Start button to stop.
When I get out, sometimes I can lock the doors by pressing the handle button while the key's in my pocket, but yesterday I couldn't - had to lock it using the fob.

It seems somewhat temperamental. If I get out of the car, lock the doors (via whatever method works for me) then come back, say, 10 minutes later, it seems I can unlock the driver's door while the key is in my pocket. Other times, that's not the case.

Perplexed why it works some times and does not others... you'd think if something was broken, then it'd be broken.

I noticed baylissboy mentioned a TPI for this issue... is that like a Technical Alert or a Campaign or something? Is it possible that each TPI has a reference # and you can take it into Audi and tell them about it, or should I really just be taking it in again and keeping it high level - "my keys don't unlock / lock properly"?

Could the car have 'forgotten' about the key somehow? I was thinking... should I re-insert the key into the dash so the car can 'sniff it out' and say "hey, that's my key, I'll open the doors in future when I sense that key is close by"?

s7gpt
26-02-2013, 10:12 PM
had the same problems mentioned here with my 'keyless' system, took the car into Audi Wakefield as it was under warrenty and they replaced all 4 sensors. asked them why when it was mainly just one rear door and they said once one goes they all need replacing, not complaining like :)

edeo
27-02-2013, 07:00 PM
I have the same problem as well :(
my car is 08 registration,so there is no waranty and will be probably expensive to fix it in audi centre.
so,can somebody tell me where I can find to buy a new sensors? on ebay I could not find them.
and its hard to replace them ,need any coding after replacement?
thanks for info :o

troc
28-02-2013, 12:38 PM
I bought mine from Germany where it's fairly easy to get spare parts.

I used www.online-teile.com/audi and the part number for a 2008 A4 is (I think): 4G8 927 753

There is also the same thing with an A after it but that one is for later cars I believe. If you fit the wrong one, it works for a few minutes and then throws a fault.

edeo
28-02-2013, 06:18 PM
I bought mine from Germany where it's fairly easy to get spare parts.

I used www.online-teile.com/audi (http://www.online-teile.com/audi) and the part number for a 2008 A4 is (I think): 4G8 927 753

There is also the same thing with an A after it but that one is for later cars I believe. If you fit the wrong one, it works for a few minutes and then throws a fault.
thanks for your reply.
just now first I need to do diagnostics, to be sure that fault is in sensor/s and in witch door.

edeo
08-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Ordered and recieved after 1 week a door handle sensor.
the thing is that my old sensor was 4G8 927 753A(transparent (A4 2008)) and I replaced with 4G8 927 753 (black) but it looks everything ok, lock/unlock working.
lets hope that it won't stop :)

drunlock
11-03-2014, 10:51 PM
Ordered and recieved after 1 week a door handle sensor.
the thing is that my old sensor was 4G8 927 753A(transparent (A4 2008)) and I replaced with 4G8 927 753 (black) but it looks everything ok, lock/unlock working.
lets hope that it won't stop :)

hi are you sensor still working did they fail again were they the right sensors I have a 2008 4 b8 and my sensor are failing

edeo
11-03-2014, 11:12 PM
hi are you sensor still working did they fail again were they the right sensors I have a 2008 4 b8 and my sensor are failing
still working,everything is fine.

drunlock
11-03-2014, 11:23 PM
still working,everything is fine.

I seen these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exterior-Door-Sensor-Pin-Switch-fit-for-Audi-A4-A5CA-A5CO-4G8-927-753-MA347/271267717867?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D17233%26meid%3D1498809609036288710%26pid%3D 100005%26prg%3D8045%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D1610 53872452%26#ht_4548wt_891 \

just wondering will these work with this part number

Guest 2
11-03-2014, 11:26 PM
You need a fault scan first of all.

drunlock
12-03-2014, 12:02 AM
You need a fault scan first of all.

ok thanks will do first

edeo
12-03-2014, 08:01 PM
I seen these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exterior-Door-Sensor-Pin-Switch-fit-for-Audi-A4-A5CA-A5CO-4G8-927-753-MA347/271267717867?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D17233%26meid%3D1498809609036288710%26pid%3D 100005%26prg%3D8045%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D1610 53872452%26#ht_4548wt_891 \

just wondering will these work with this part number
I paid for my ones (2) £75 each,straight from germany,looked the same and part number same.
so price of thouse are realy good.

drunlock
20-04-2014, 11:17 PM
hi fitted the sensors without the A at the end would not correctly work then stopped working would lock and unlock by putting hand behind handle thumb sensor never worked then stopped working all together an ideas anyone

drunlock
20-04-2014, 11:18 PM
I paid for my ones (2) £75 each,straight from germany,looked the same and part number same.
so price of thouse are realy good.

hi fitted the sensors without the A at the end would not correctly work then stopped working would lock and unlock by putting hand behind handle thumb sensor never worked then stopped working all together an ideas anyone

drunlock
16-02-2016, 01:43 AM
is there any way to code the ones without suffix A to these type 4G8927753 anyone it on audi a4 b8 2008 model