PDA

View Full Version : Kerbed Alloys

Blackmore Spur
13-07-2012, 09:21 PM
January 2012 A6; One of my 20 inch alloys got badly scratched tonight by partner as she tried to park. Scratching bad!!!; any advice on best way forward; can alloy be repaired if yes do I go back to Audi.....or do I take the hit and buy replacement from Audi or elsewhere. Fed up....definitely Friday 13th today!!!

zollaf
13-07-2012, 09:43 PM
why when i saw the title of your thread did i know it would be your mrs responsible for it :)
look in the yellow pages or tinternet for alloy refurbishers and find one local to take a look and see what they can do for you.

johnsimcox
13-07-2012, 10:06 PM
January 2012 A6; One of my 20 inch alloys got badly scratched tonight by partner as she tried to park. Scratching bad!!!; any advice on best way forward; can alloy be repaired if yes do I go back to Audi.....or do I take the hit and buy replacement from Audi or elsewhere. Fed up....definitely Friday 13th today!!!

Ask your dealer who they use to repair alloys. They will almost certainly have a tame repairer who they use when preparing used cars

Black RATT
13-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Dealerships usually out source wheel refurbs, so you might be advised to research your own. At least that way you get to "vet" the operator before they are let loose on your pride and joy.
I don't want to add to the pain but I have heard of some companies mis matching the colour, more reason to choose for yourself.
Good luck!

Timothy Nathan
13-07-2012, 11:39 PM
I paid £50 for one on a previous car. It looked fine.

In the long term, replacing the 20s with 17s will stop most kerbing.

Goatistuta
14-07-2012, 01:12 AM
I had 19" wheels on my LeMans Avant and over the first 12 months, every one of them got kerbed (I could blame my wife!). I decided never to get such low profile tyres again so my new C7 S-line has got the standard 18" and to date, no probs and a better ride.

MFGF
14-07-2012, 08:06 AM
I paid £50 for one on a previous car. It looked fine.

In the long term, replacing the 20s with 17s will stop most kerbing.

Ha ha ha. The real answer is not to let anyone else drive the car. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Blackmore Spur
14-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Got Chipsaway to come and do quote for me on Monday. Not optimistic can be done without expensive machine work. Like previous post says think low profiles are more trouble than they are worth but stuck with them for now - this is not going to be only time this happens I fear

pitch3110
14-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Don't stress about it and enjoy the super quick turn in and stunning looks of admiration you are getting with the 20's which 17'' SE owners will never experience.

I have had biggys on my last three cars and love em. Better than the hippo waller and roll you get with 6'' tyre walls.

Debate will be ongoing but just enjoy them big wheels. Life is about enjoyment for me not being a boring m&s underwearing, hush puppy clad Daily Mail reader.

If you want to be doubley boring you could also suggest the 17'' wearers opt for even sensible 15's.

Ill get me coat.........

Ta
Pitch

14-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Got Chipsaway to come and do quote for me on Monday. Not optimistic can be done without expensive machine work. Like previous post says think low profiles are more trouble than they are worth but stuck with them for now - this is not going to be only time this happens I fear

Fancy swapping for some (immaculate and 1000 mile old) 19" twin 7 spokes?!

MFGF
14-07-2012, 11:18 PM

The local Chips Away man once did a repair to a wheel on my first C6 after it was damaged by someone who now no longer drives my car. The repair was mediocre, and within weeks the new paint was flaking off. Before by last C6 went back, I had to have all four wheels repaired after the person who no longer drives my car had kerbed every one of them. I used Wheel Wizard - the guy took each wheel off, pulled the tyre back from the rim, and painted the whole of each wheel inside his van, rather than just repairing with the wheel still on the car like Chips Away. The end result was really very good.

MF.

15-07-2012, 07:33 AM
I use BJV Engineering for my wheel refurbs. Based in Hemel and offer a collect and return service. Excellent work and very reasonable cost wise.

BJV Engineering - Alloy Wheel Refurbishing (http://www.wheelrefurbishing.com/)

EssexGonzo
15-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Don't stress about it and enjoy the super quick turn in and stunning looks of admiration you are getting with the 20's which 17'' SE owners will never experience.

Hmmmmm......in my mind that translates to "Avoid the laughing and pointing at such rediculoisly large wheels on a family saloon or estate (that you mistake for admiration)" as well as the delusional interpretation that the cast iron suspension normally sold with the gangsta rims actually impacts on the handling of a 2 ton barge. :-) :-)

Am speccing a C7 right now, 20s are deffo off the menu. The ride is shocking, as was the C6 S line in 2007 with 19s hence my choice of 18s and mid sports suspension.

20s = looks more important than ride comfort

18s = ride as important as looks.

IMHO only of course, I've already got my coat. ;-)

Timothy Nathan
15-07-2012, 04:07 PM
I have to confess, I have never noticed anyone admiring the wheels on my car.

It's a disappointment I just have to live with.

JimC64
15-07-2012, 04:41 PM
You can always buy the correct products ( Wurth ) and a little sandpaper / filelr and some time / patience and do it yourself and should get a 100% perfect match, I know I did.

There are write ups available on this subject here on the forum.

If its going to be a regular occurence I'd suggest you get busy getting familiar with the process otherwise its going to be costly and time consuming running around. Just a thought.......

thehorse
15-07-2012, 05:40 PM

I have had biggys on my last three cars and love em. Better than the hippo waller and roll you get with 6'' tyre walls.

Debate will be ongoing but just enjoy them big wheels. Life is about enjoyment for me not being a boring m&s underwearing, hush puppy clad Daily Mail reader.

If you want to be doubley boring you could also suggest the 17'' wearers opt for even sensible 15's.

Ill get me coat.........

Ta
Pitch

Ha Ha,

That was quite funny.

I guess it is a matter of personal taste, but for me I'd always rather have a wolf in sheep's clothing, than a sheep in wolf's clothing.

20" rims are going to make your car slower, less economical, more noisy and give it a much worse ride than a car on 17/18" wheels - that's a fact, you'll also end up parking 2ft from the pavement to avoid kerbing it -it's a much better option to grow a bit of confidence and stop worrying about what other people think, and for me I actually think 20" rims look worse. I've gone with the 18" std. S-line wheels which I think give the best combination of handling and comfort.

I'll get my anorak........

Brycie
15-07-2012, 07:18 PM

Ill get me coat.........

Ta
Pitch

Very diplomatic! You say it as if having 20" wheels is something that is only for the elite, something tbat 17" owners' can't possibly aspire to - rather than viewing it as a choice. Both choices have their merits.

Blackmore Spur
15-07-2012, 09:58 PM
I came to these massive wheels because they were included in cancelled order I bought, not really through choice. Love the look of them but really not sure such low profile tyres are most practical solution for flexible all purpose run around, family car and commuting mile muncher. Heresy on this site I know but honest reflection

Timothy Nathan
15-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Hush Puppies or Stilettos? I guess it depends what you want your footwear for.

If you are happy teetering around looking silly, limiting yourself to certain surfaces, constantly worried about breaking your heels or your ankles, all for the sake of hoping that someone will look at your bum and whistle, those high heels are for you.

If you want to walk about nimbly and purposefully, getting your day's tasks done, come rain or shine, and are sufficiently self confident not to need to seek attention from passing pimply teenagers, then a nice pair of Hush Puppies must be the answer.

Brycie
15-07-2012, 11:09 PM

If you are happy teetering around looking silly, limiting yourself to certain surfaces, constantly worried about breaking your heels or your ankles, all for the sake of hoping that someone will look at your bum and whistle, those high heels are for you.

If you want to walk about nimbly and purposefully, getting your day's tasks done, come rain or shine, and are sufficiently self confident not to need to seek attention from passing pimply teenagers, then a nice pair of Hush Puppies must be the answer.

:biglaugh:

Very funny analogy, had me chuckling out loud.

Blackmore Spur
15-07-2012, 11:26 PM
But I want both!! Most of us mere mortals need hybrid comfy, practical, shoes hopefully with bit of fun thrown in. But such is compromise that we cant hit all bases.....Unless we are fortunate enough to have fleet of different cars for different purposes... In my next life I'll win lottery or come back as Premiership footballer with many cars!!

Black RATT
15-07-2012, 11:37 PM

Stillettos for me every time please!!!!
Oooops wrong forum!!! :Blush2:
On a serious note, I think it is a point well made. I think the 20" rotors look great but settled for the 18" as the car will be the "workhorse".
The main concern now is the tyres it comes with.

Timothy Nathan
15-07-2012, 11:42 PM
fleet of different cars for different purposes
I guess I am really boring (Hush Puppies and M & S knickers I'll hold my hands up to, the DM, never!) but I find myself sitting in traffic looking at other cars, be they Ferraris, Bentleys, Range Rovers or D Types, thinking "if I had all the money in the world, I'd buy something very much like another A6 Estate."

JimC64
16-07-2012, 01:32 AM

Lol.....+1 on that from me.

To be fair, my 17's with more meaty tyres offered a better ride than my 19's which have more alloy and less tyre. Thankfully though its on the SE suspension and I resisted the temptation to lower it.

richtrash
16-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Without seeing the wheels I'd say they can definitely be repaired/refurbished, I just had a set of 17" Passat wheels refurbed and they look good as new.

VW Passat Wheels Refurbished (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?134917-VW-Passat-Wheels-Refurbished)

Just do a search on google for someone near you.

16-07-2012, 08:54 AM
The elitism over wheel choice is hilarious on this forum! I've never known anything like it.

richtrash
16-07-2012, 09:39 AM
The elitism over wheel choice is hilarious on this forum! I've never known anything like it.

The damage to my wheels meant that water was getting underneath the laquer so I decided to get them repaired before they got to bad, they are the standard wheels that were fitted to the car when I got it, I don't see anything elitist about that.

16-07-2012, 09:41 AM
The damage to my wheels meant that water was getting underneath the laquer so I decided to get them repaired before they got to bad, they are the standard wheels that were fitted to the car when I got it, I don't see anything elitist about that.

It wasn't aimed at you in the slightest my friend. Repairing damage asap is a good thing IMO.

richtrash
16-07-2012, 09:56 AM
It wasn't aimed at you in the slightest my friend. Repairing damage asap is a good thing IMO.

Phew, thought I'd entered a car maintenance free zone there for a moment. I always feel like I'm taking my life in my hands when posting on forums, someone always seems to take exception, I blame my limited vocabulary caused by a secondary school education in conjunction with a lack of facial expression and body language :)

a8toa6convert
16-07-2012, 10:11 AM
If you want fantastic turn-in and grip, there's still no need for anything bigger than 17's or 18's, if you've got S-line suspension. It's incredibly well resolved on the C7 model: light years ahead of the C6, and also a lot better than the latest or previous A8.

I had 21" rotors on the A8 I ran for a bit. What a PITA they were: heavy, thumped over every cat's eye and road marking, tramlining, kerb-seeking, noisy, and killed any sense of progression in the steering. And every time someone looked at them, I just knew they were thinking "he's compensating for something there...." ! And about £300 a corner to replace...

To me the best thing about having quattro on the A6 is that I can get the power to the road through sensibly sized wheels and tyres. Even the BiTdi can be ordered as an SE on skinny 235/55 17's. Bliss !

......And I have a lovely set of 17's from an SE spare, if anyone wants them. 500 miles use at most.

EssexGonzo
16-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Phew, thought I'd entered a car maintenance free zone there for a moment. I always feel like I'm taking my life in my hands when posting on forums, someone always seems to take exception, I blame my limited vocabulary caused by a secondary school education in conjunction with a lack of facial expression and body language :)

Ha!!

I know what you mean. The trick with a forum is not to take everything seriously! Ok, the help, support and general lurve should get the appreciation due but once you get beyond that into personal preferences keep yer tongue in yer cheek and assume everyone has done the same.

Back to the plot.....20's are for bling merchants. My hush puppy 18s feel nice. Gotta go, pipes gone out.

Timothy Nathan
16-07-2012, 01:51 PM
The elitism over wheel choice is hilarious on this forum!
One does one's best to amuse :p

I've never known anything like it.
What?! You haven't lived! Have you never seen the merits of Macs and PCs argued, or whether it is permissible to own and enjoy owning and iPad? Have you never seen a Kwacker and a Beemer rider in the same car park? Have you never offered a CD to a Vinyl lover? Have you worn a red and white scarf near White Hart Lane? Have you ever been to Northern Ireland?

Sheroo
16-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Getting concerned about my 20" kitted motor due in Sept, I'm hoping adaptive air suspension will resolve potential ride issues.

16-07-2012, 03:16 PM
One does one's best to amuse :p You're doing well ;)

What?! You haven't lived! Have you never seen the merits of Macs and PCs argued, or whether it is permissible to own and enjoy owning and iPad? Have you never seen a Kwacker and a Beemer rider in the same car park? Have you never offered a CD to a Vinyl lover? Have you worn a red and white scarf near White Hart Lane? Have you ever been to Northern Ireland?

LOL! I'm not brave enough to try all of those... Those PC users can get really quite miffed ;)

EssexGonzo
16-07-2012, 03:45 PM
One does one's best to amuse :p

On a certain German motorcycle forum, it's the equivalent of spoked wheels vs alloys (the former prove you're a better rider, apparently) or non-ABS vs ABS (ditto) or the 1150 version vs the 1200 version ( ditto again).

With a lot less politeness.......

nigel63
16-07-2012, 04:24 PM
hi, a friend of mine does wheel refurbing and is very reasonable with the price,he is based in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire.also he has all the equipment for removing and refitting the tyre.if you are interested i will give you his phone number.
he has been in the refinishing trade for 20 years or more so it will be like a brand new wheel when he has finished it.i would advise you not to use chips away or others like it because to do it properly you need the tyre removing.if you have facebook check out perfecta wheels.

pitch3110
16-07-2012, 06:30 PM
If only my jollies to the river bank yielded returns the like of my comments earlier in this thread....:D:D:D..

You lot are so predictable........ My list of the posters and what comments they would make was spot on. Talk about managing a situation/response!!! I should be in advertising or management......... Hang on I am.....:biglaugh::biglaugh:

To the OP ....... Sorry for hijacking the thread, I could not resist it..:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Now off out in my Loake boots, Replay jeans, Sunspel t-shirt and Belstaff Trailmaster.....oh and BHS pants.

Ta
Pitch

thehorse
16-07-2012, 07:14 PM
On a certain German motorcycle forum, it's the equivalent of spoked wheels vs alloys (the former prove you're a better rider, apparently) or non-ABS vs ABS (ditto) or the 1150 version vs the 1200 version ( ditto again).

With a lot less politeness.......

Forget the 1150 and 1200, everyone knows the 1100 was the best built - I had one for many years! (R1100GS)

tankuk
17-07-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm another person that just doesn't "get" big wheels. You can't see them when your driving and they aren't as comfy. Even on an unlimited Audi extras budget I wouldn't buy bigger wheels.

I guess I must be an M & S man too.

Brycie
17-07-2012, 11:39 PM
What's the biggest wheel size you can get on an A6 C6, does anybody know? The reason I ask is that I passed a C6 in Barnsley yesterday & I had an actual double-take moment. I saw one with wheels so big they actually looked like comedy wheels, it just looked ridiculous. I think they [I]must[I] have been bigger than 20s as I've seen 19s on C6s & they look good, so these must've been considerably bigger than 20s. For a split second itactually crossed my mind to turn round & catchup to get a picture to post on here they were that big. It wasn't an admiring gaze I was giving it. Hope the car doesn't belong to someone on the forum as I'd hate to offend.

BiTDI
18-07-2012, 11:32 AM
My wife has kerbed al five alloys on my old C6. I was told they are impossible to refinish as they are lacquered rather than painted - that they would have to have a complete re-paint / powder-coat. So it is going back with kerbed alloys.

My BiTDI on order has 18" wheels. I prefer the improved ride from smaller wheels, but thought the 17s with the 55 profile tyres just looked too small. I always prefer to spend the money under the bonnet rather than on wheels - reason why given above...

JimC64
18-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Lol.....my wife does NOT have access to drive my car at any time for any reason for this particular issue.

There are perfectly good bus services / trains and even taxis are available, which are all much cheaper, less hassle and grief than getting to know a wheel refurb specialist on a first name basis.

MFGF
19-07-2012, 04:33 PM
This is a great thread!! Some posts had me laughing out loud!! We have a fabulous forum, and lots of diversity of opinion. It's so good to see nobody taking offence or getting shirty - just good old fashioned banter! :)

JimC64
19-07-2012, 04:47 PM
This is a great thread!! Some posts had me laughing out loud!! We have a fabulous forum, and lots of diversity of opinion. It's so good to see nobody taking offence or getting shirty - just good old fashioned banter! :)

Lol totally agree Mark, as we Scots would say though..............CANNAEBEATABITABANTER :biglaugh::biglaugh:

pitch3110
19-07-2012, 04:53 PM

Lovely post and observation MFGF....

All my comments have been in jest and to play the Devils thingamejib.....

Although I do love the 20"s and get wood every time I see them......:p, oh and HP's are for pant wetter's.....

Pitch

EssexGonzo
19-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Lol.....my wife does NOT have access to drive my car at any time for any reason for this particular issue.

There are perfectly good bus services / trains and even taxis are available, which are all much cheaper, less hassle and grief than getting to know a wheel refurb specialist on a first name basis.

And yet you're still alive to post on this forum. :confused: I couldn't even show this thread to my wife, let alone get away with that. I'd need medical :1zhelp:.

19-07-2012, 07:26 PM
You lot need to grow some balls!

(says the man with the thumb shaped bald spot on his head...)

Guest 2
19-07-2012, 07:44 PM
ugh - kerbed alloys - tell me about it :(

3 years of being in the hands of a woman has resulted in this :(

nsf and osr are the worst - nsr is actually not damaged at all somehow. osr has paint peeling off :(

refurb this summer!

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/iPhone%20Uploads/945eb98c.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/iPhone%20Uploads/1c2ad49b.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/iPhone%20Uploads/78c16bf2.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/iPhone%20Uploads/63183d9f.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/iPhone%20Uploads/4cbdb4d5.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/iPhone%20Uploads/8643d5e5.jpg

19-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Jesus christ! Not even my wife is that bad!

EssexGonzo
19-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Thank the Lord that someone else has a nice motor, well cared for but with alloys in as bad a condition as mine. :beerchug:

MFGF
19-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Ohhhhh CHRIS!!! What has she done??? I feel ill :)

Guest 2
19-07-2012, 09:29 PM
They're worse when they're clean!

She's not getting anywhere near the A3! :D

Allroad_anth
19-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Surely grounds for divorce?

zollaf
19-07-2012, 10:20 PM
me and mrs z have this agreement that if she curbs an alloy, she has to let me . er, better not say any more, get banned.

Brycie
19-07-2012, 10:25 PM
I bet you're out there checking after every journey :biglaugh:

zollaf
19-07-2012, 10:27 PM
i grab the steering wheel everytime she parks :)

Guest 2
19-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Surely grounds for divorce?

There's a list of other things before kerbing alloys!!!

Thing is she knows my password to this site so hope she doesn't see this! ;)

Guest 2
19-07-2012, 10:28 PM
i grab the steering wheel everytime she parks :)

I tell mine not to parallel park but being a woman she ignores me :(

Brycie
19-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Right! The petition for vulcanised rubber kerbs on all town centre roads starts here. Actually, scratch that - I'd rather just get a penalty system for the wife like Zollaf's got, far more rewarding! ;)

MFGF
19-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Sigh. That's where I went wrong!

Timothy Nathan
20-07-2012, 08:37 AM
3 years of being in the hands of a woman
Sounds OK to me.

20-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Depends what she has them wrapped around I guess....

Brycie
20-07-2012, 10:26 AM
You mean the throat, if she ever sees this thread? :D

BiTDI
21-07-2012, 02:09 PM
This is a typical conversation :

Self : you have kerbed one of the alloys again.
Wife : it's your fault for having such silly wheels. Why can't we have normal wheels with plastic trims?
Self : this car only comes with alloy wheels
Wife : it's your fault for having such a silly car. Why can't we have a 1.4 Passat?

JimC64
21-07-2012, 02:37 PM
This is a typical conversation :

Self : you have kerbed one of the alloys again.
Wife : it's your fault for having such silly wheels. Why can't we have normal wheels with plastic trims?
Self : this car only comes with alloy wheels
Wife : it's your fault for having such a silly car. Why can't we have a 1.4 Passat?

Singing................D.I.V.O.R.C.E.............. ..singing.........D.I.V.O.R.C.E........lol

I had that same conversation with the Ford Mondeo ST Tdci, then again with the Jaguar X type, lastly & finally I had it again as I put my 2 years old 50k miles MINT 17" TT trapeze alloys from my A6 onto her Passat.
She was warned how expensive they can be too constanty refurb ( as I'm not doing it anymore!! ) and also how bad the car looks and how much it will depreciate etc etc...........long story short, so far so good, she has EVENTUALLY got the message and stays away from kerbs.

honestly though, its a woman thing, kerbing alloys and then saying its not my fault.....rofl